Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Can't be many counties who have jumped from tier 1 to tier 3, we just don't know what's possible or impossible in the eyes of mankind. CHAMPIONS OF COVID YOU MADE US SIGN THAT.

This is us in tier 3 until spring I reckon, I don't see how the city if Leicester and the surrounding areas at least, getting thst much better and I can't see the fringe areas that aren't as bad being separated like they previously were so we are all fcuked in that regard. Brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

You must be able to see an epidemiological difference between sitting maskless in a closed environment and walking around an airy shopping centre with your mask on?

Well airy these shopping centres. 

IMG_20201126_143506.jpg

1 minute ago, adam said:

IMG_20201126_143506.jpg

Exactly, covid isn't just spreading through eating and drinking inside. Xmas shopping will be far worse of a spreader than restaurants and possibly pubs, I just don't see how they can control it, will be heinous.

11 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Well the landlady and fair few of the regulars at my local tested positive just before they were locked down it was starting to spread 

Minds well close everything then. They'll be closer contact in shopping centres and on public transport.

I think it's more than "people not wearing masks".

Edited by Fox92

8 minutes ago, adam said:

IMG_20201126_143506.jpg

Being busy doesn't stop it being airy, can you not see the big high ceilings, no, that's because the are out of shot. If everyone in there has a mask on is moving about and there is reasonable air circulation then you will be very unlikely to get covid.

If you don't wear a mask and stand still having long conversations with people you increase your chances massively.

Go to the shops, wear a mask, get in, get out, don't dawdle or chat with shop assistants or browse every range, basically shop like men and we'll all be fine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Absolutely grim. Couldn’t blame the independent pubs/restaurants for sacking these rules off and just opening, they’re being left to die with this. 

Sadly they'll just end up with a massive 10k fine and/or end up with a suspended jail sentence, it's just not worth it.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

No hope for this city when so many of its population are point blank refusing to do their bit and wear a mask in public. They’ll probably be the same people cursing pubs staying closed 

But Peter from ibstock said it’s all a myth, it said so on the internet!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Absolutely grim. Couldn’t blame the independent pubs/restaurants for sacking these rules off and just opening, they’re being left to die with this. 

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Sadly they'll just end up with a massive 10k fine and/or end up with a suspended jail sentence, it's just not worth it.

What they could do (if Tier 2), is serve a meal with the alcohol. £1 for some chips that will be left on the side for 6 hours:whistle:

15 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Leicester has never really come out of lockdown. And rates haven't really improved. It isn't working 

It was working at the back end of August when we got it down to 25 per 100,000 people.

They took the handbrake off certain things, which coincided with Schools and Uni’s going back, then over the past three months it’s sky rocketed again.

Since this new second national lockdown though, cases in Leicester over the past week have began to drop, our rate few weeks ago was 530 per 100,000 at one point, most recent number on the Council website says it’s gone down to 350 per 100,000.

How long do you leave it before you take the handbrake off again? We made great progress in August, data clearly shows that, yet you open certain things back up again, especially Schools and Uni’s, then unsurprisingly kaboom, the rate gets out of control again.

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Of course not.  Nothing is essential to life except eating and sleeping.  If all you do is sit in a darkened room concentrating on breathing, you should live longer.  And if you don't, it will seem longer.

Life was made to be lived, not to be survived.  God help us all if these vaccines don't work or if the government somehow realises they haven't abolished death after all.

Agree with you mate, I'm just saying the Governments line and how they'll justify it.

Zero chance of things getting better anytime soon, people have had enough now, compliance will be at its lowest and it's winter too.

I think they should have kept the national lockdown in place for another 2 weeks. We are now seeing cases declining and deaths rising which is due to timings and i think we've seen the peak of new cases yet are only half way through the death toll for this current wave. Another 2 weeks and the death toll will be past it's peak. The figures for Liverpool are bound to have fallen as well because they're probably running out of people to test, but moving that area, and London, to a tier 2 is just going to kick start it all again. What they need to do is put a safety net around those places to prevent people going in or out else it's just going to spread again.

38 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Being busy doesn't stop it being airy, can you not see the big high ceilings, no, that's because the are out of shot. If everyone in there has a mask on is moving about and there is reasonable air circulation then you will be very unlikely to get covid.

If you don't wear a mask and stand still having long conversations with people you increase your chances massively.

Go to the shops, wear a mask, get in, get out, don't dawdle or chat with shop assistants or browse every range, basically shop like men and we'll all be fine.

I have Shopped like a man for years.....I send my wife...shes a good girl..!!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Deaths have been increasing despite pubs being closed. Don't think people and pubs were the problem.

People are the problem. I didn’t mention pubs I said people not wearing masks which is widespread at least in the area I live in. 

Very close to arguing with my folks earlier, they are as fed up as I am regarding Covid, I’ve not been in their house since March but as retired folk who own their own house they don’t have to go out to work, or worry about a mortgage or rent, or losing their job etc. So when they are blaming the high R rate on people doing their own thing without thinking about the consequences it irritated me. Some people cannot stay at home, people have to work and don’t have the luxury of a good pension and a house that’s paid for.

Its a lot easier for some people to shield and stay safe than others.

I do understand their point of view but sometimes things aren’t that simple.

Oh and currently watching Boris bumble his way through another press conference. 
Liverpool again bore off 

• Like 3

I was in an area that was Tier 1 and now Tier 2, primarily because the population is bigger towards the 60+ age group therefore more cases despite the overall number reducing hugely after outbreaks in factories etc. 

No surprise London gets a blanket Tier 2.

4 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

You’d hope, given how the rates seem to be dropping rather quickly across the county, that come the review we might be able to drop to Tier 2.

Yes but by then Tier two requirements will be changed to keep places in tier 3 as it will all be assessed realatively.

Right now our neighbour's kids can go to school in Rutland but can't mix with the same kids in Leicestershire or indeed out of school in Rutland though they can all travel on the same bus.

57 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

People are not the problem. Leicester and other big Cities are going to struggle. We have kids going to schools they don’t live near.  Being driven from all over the City to a school they don’t live within 3 mile of. Schools are big spreading places. These kids then go home and spread it more and because of our schools system they are going home and spreading It to different communities all around our City. We also have massive factories and warehouses and other huge workplaces so when these kids bring it home The parents then go to these places of work and spread. The nutter who won’t wear a mask is a tiny percentage of the spreading problem. We can’t beat a virus.  It will spread. If you honestly think the people of Leicester are at fault whereas the people of Cornwall are not you are living in cloud cuckoo land. All the big Cities have faired the same. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=320db233_2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

I'm interested to see the evidence to back up your claim that 'schools are big spreading places'. I just looked up 'school children spreading corona virus' and the first three links that came up are posted above, all of which say otherwise, certainly in younger children, and older ones should be more able to manage the hygiene and social distancing when they return home to avoid passing it on to parents I would have thought, at least mine are.

Happy to be shown otherwise though, especially as I have children of school age too :)

Edited by FoxesDeb
Twice now, more clarity then a typo!
  • Like 1