Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/sainsburys-confirms-staff-members-test-4262734

Sainsbury's confirms staff members test positive for coronavirus at Leicester store
Staff were sent home as soon as they displayed symptoms

A supermarket giant has confirmed that staff members have tested positive for coronavirus at a Leicester branch.

Three staff members at the Melton Road superstore in Leicester have contracted coronavirus, the supermarket company has today confirmed.

A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “The colleagues were sent home as soon as they showed symptoms and we immediately implemented additional cleaning on site.

"Safety is our highest priority and we have strict social distancing measures in all our stores including Perspex screens, limits on the number of people in the store and PPE for all our colleagues.”

This comes after Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirmed there was an 'outbreak' in the city last week.

It was not immediately clear how great the extent of the outbreak was when it was revealed during one of the daily Downing Street briefings.

But it then emerged the increase in cases amounted to 658 positive tests in the fortnight leading up to June 16.

There were, to that point, a total of 2,494 city cases since the start of the pandemic crisis in March.

Leicester City Council and Public Health England have been contacted for comment regarding Sainsbury's.

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

On the subject of gyms, I’m a member of PureGym and I sympathise with their point (and of course they want the revenue again like every other business does)

A couple of weeks before lockdown they put social distancing/sanitising measures in place and the staff policed it brilliantly. Limited numbers allowed in (the app tells you visitors v capacity), strict 2m rule, no fist bumps/chicken wings etc, half the equipment out of use, staff cleaning non stop, members MUST clean each station after use, etc, etc. They were all over it and I imagine will be even stricter on reopening.

Personally, I’d feel safer there than in a pub full of pissed up gobby youths.

ust ban everyone who calls people bro and you'll be golden

• Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/10-areas-leicester-worst-hit-4259616 

The 10 areas of Leicester worst hit by the recent corona virus outbreak

1. North Evington 118 positive tests
  2. Humberstone and Hamilton 52 positive tests
  3. Belgrave 45 positive tests
  4. Spinney Hills 41 positive tests
  5. Rushey Mead 35 positive tests
  6. Stoneygate 34 positive tests
  7. Wycliffe 32 positive tests
  8. Evington 30 positive tests
  9. Thurncourt 30 positive tests
  10. Troon 30 positive tests

There is a clear and obvious correlation in this list and i'm sure everyone who lives in Leicester probably knows why. :ph34r:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

On the subject of gyms, I’m a member of PureGym and I sympathise with their point (and of course they want the revenue again like every other business does)

A couple of weeks before lockdown they put social distancing/sanitising measures in place and the staff policed it brilliantly. Limited numbers allowed in (the app tells you visitors v capacity), strict 2m rule, no fist bumps/chicken wings etc, half the equipment out of use, staff cleaning non stop, members MUST clean each station after use, etc, etc. They were all over it and I imagine will be even stricter on reopening.

That sounds good. The gym at work (I work at a uni) sent round a survey with suggestions for opening up. Based on that it looks like the plans are to get people to reserve a slot for the pool and the gym. Seeing the majority of members will be staff and students that would work well I think as most people can work flexibly, meaning that usage could be spread throughout the day. I would be far happier going there than going to a supermarket tbh. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Christoph said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/10-areas-leicester-worst-hit-4259616 

The 10 areas of Leicester worst hit by the recent corona virus outbreak

1. North Evington 118 positive tests
  2. Humberstone and Hamilton 52 positive tests
  3. Belgrave 45 positive tests
  4. Spinney Hills 41 positive tests
  5. Rushey Mead 35 positive tests
  6. Stoneygate 34 positive tests
  7. Wycliffe 32 positive tests
  8. Evington 30 positive tests
  9. Thurncourt 30 positive tests
  10. Troon 30 positive tests

There is a clear and obvious correlation in this list and i'm sure everyone who lives in Leicester probably knows why. :ph34r:

Yeah all geographically nearby 

• Like 1

(Apologies for putting this in the wrong thread earlier.    It is coronavirus related, and not football specific)

Nice to see 1000's of Liverpool folk having a good party last night.   Lots of dancing, singing and general merriment.

Who will be to blame if there is an increase in infections and deaths up there in a few weeks time?   The Police?   Ambulance service?  City Council? The FA?  Government?

52 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

(Apologies for putting this in the wrong thread earlier.    It is coronavirus related, and not football specific)

Nice to see 1000's of Liverpool folk having a good party last night.   Lots of dancing, singing and general merriment.

Who will be to blame if there is an increase in infections and deaths up there in a few weeks time?   The Police?   Ambulance service?  City Council? The FA?  Government?

They will just blame the Government 100%

• Like 1

We're not the only ones to mess up

The US Treasury mistakenly sent more than $1.4bn (£1.1bn) of its pandemic rescue funds to dead people, government inspectors have found.

The finding was one of several "challenges" uncovered in the official review of federal coronavirus aid.

Since March, Congress has pumped some $2.6tn into the American economy in an effort to shield it from virus slowdown.

But the rush to deliver the money has contributed to errors, inspectors said.

For example, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) report found that the Treasury Department, which was in charge of mailing stimulus cheques to American families, did not check death records, even though some of the tax officials working on the programme said they raised concerns about the risk of erroneous mailings.

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

I'm sure any club that hadn't won the league in a long while or hadn't ever won it would have drawn the same response.

Can you imagine Leicester fans abiding by the lock down if this had been our 1st year. You can bet also many will never have directly supported Liverpool just like the 1000s that turned up at our celebrations.

• Like 2

Said this four weeks ago - the British public have a lot to answer for their behaviour. 

From VE Day, to beaches and parks on Bank Holidays to mass protests to Bournemouth Beach this week to illegal parties to this now. 

Government lost control of their message sometime ago but that's no replacement for public responsibility. You are ultimately responsible for the action you take. I am back at work - that's a needs must action but simply going to beach etc isn't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Said this four weeks ago - the British public have a lot to answer for their behaviour. 

From VE Day, to beaches and parks on Bank Holidays to mass protests to Bournemouth Beach this week to illegal parties to this now. 

Government lost control of their message sometime ago but that's no replacement for public responsibility. You are ultimately responsible for the action you take. I am back at work - that's a needs must action but simply going to beach etc isn't. 

Bang on the money. :appl:

Government are culpable

The public are culpable

• Thanks 1

Luckily, the previous gatherings haven't seemed to increase infections and that was with greater numbers of infections in the community. So hopefully that will continue, government do seem a little more concerned about the latest around of gatherings though, coupled with the release of lockdown measures.

Even if infection numbers do raise, the number I will be looking out for is the hospital admissions as that shows how strong the virus is and whether its possible for infection to spread in the general community but protect the most vulnerable.

• Like 1

We haven't seen a spike from any of the other things that were apparently going to cause one. I can't imagine that last night is going to have any kind of impact. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

We haven't seen a spike from any of the other things that were apparently going to cause one. I can't imagine that last night is going to have any kind of impact. 

Fair point. There was some suggestion of a localised upsurge of infections around Cheltenham just after the racing festival, but not sure how reliable that info was.

The spikes in other countries seem to have stemmed from large groups in close proximity - but indoors: e.g. nightclubs in South Korea, meat processing plants in Germany (& UK).

There's a further difficulty with discerning the impact of certain gatherings: e.g. Bournemouth beach.

Most people on Bournemouth beach will have come from elsewhere, so any increase in infections might be dispersed around the country.

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Fair point. There was some suggestion of a localised upsurge of infections around Cheltenham just after the racing festival, but not sure how reliable that info was.

The spikes in other countries seem to have stemmed from large groups in close proximity - but indoors: e.g. nightclubs in South Korea, meat processing plants in Germany (& UK).

There's a further difficulty with discerning the impact of certain gatherings: e.g. Bournemouth beach.

Most people on Bournemouth beach will have come from elsewhere, so any increase in infections might be dispersed around the country.

This is going to be a little bit of social media epidemiology... but I think with events like Cheltenham or Liverpool vs Atletico you had people much more squashed together (at that time people were not so aware of the dangers), sometimes indoors like you said, using the same facilities and coming into contact more frequently. Plus it was in the late winter, and there was probably much more of the virus going round. With stuff like last night's celebrations, the BLM protests and people at the beach, there's more distancing, more space, less contact with others and, crucially, less of the virus in circulation to start with.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

In complete contrast to that, I go to Places gym and the only thing I remember being implemented was hand sanitiser at the entrance and some extra blue roll around the place. I'd assume all would be extremely strict upon return however. 

In all honesty given some gym goers manage to screw up putting dumbbells back I'm not sure how much I'd trust other users. I'd still have some reservations based upon increased droplet production but happy to be proven wrong.

Pubs can be fairly well regulated, I've seen that there'll be limits on drinks etc. But as you say, not sure how well that will be followed. 

Pubs are only opening due to monetary reasons compared to gyms, let's face it. But I assume it's safer to do one then the other rather than both together.

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

They will just blame the Government 100%

Government have been shit lets be honest.

I mean you can complain about people gathering, why arent these gatherings being broken up.

Morons though the lot of them and should shoulder a massive share of the blame if we end up locked up for another 3 months which would undoubtedly plunge this country into an absolute state.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Haha 1

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

I mean you can complain about people gathering, why arent these gatherings being broken up.

Morons though the lot of them and should shoulder a massive share of the blame if we end up locked up for another 3 months which would undoubtedly plunge this country into an absolute state.

I do not think "don't be a bunch of  tw@ts" needs to appear in any legislation. 

That would be a very poor precedent to set.

The Government have been poor, but this is a different thing and does in no way excuse selfish behaviour.

9 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I do not think "don't be a bunch of  tw@ts" needs to appear in any legislation. 

That would be a very poor precedent to set.

The Government have been poor, but this is a different thing and does in no way excuse selfish behaviour.

The Gov. deserves to take a good chunk of blame for this, but people also need to look at themselves for some of the stupid decisions they've made

Has there been a spike in case numbers following both sets of protests we saw recently? 

I thought generally case numbers and of course deaths are coming down and there was a lot of talk at the time (myself included) that both sets of protests won't help with case numbers and trying to bring those numbers down and maintained at a low level. 

The same can be said of yesterday in Liverpool - will there be localised spikes there? 

As @Leicester_Loyal said next week is gonna be carnage. Not a chance I'll be heading to a pub cos it'll be full of idiots not minding their own business and letting their desperation get the better of them, even though pubs will have policies in place to be at limited capacity and probably on a pre-book/registration service? You'll get loads of people turning up thinking it'll be normal service resumed but kick up a fuss when they get turned away, then no doubt take it on the staff there :(