Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

21 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Exactly, in pubs you likely touch the table, glass and door handles which can all be fairly well controlled and cleaned. Gyms you'd be strictly relying on people to disinfect after themselves, well according to the email from Places I received today. With cleaning done between sessions. 

I don't know enough on the chlorine strength to remove viruses and bacteria for pools, but they'd feel way too risky for me. Changing rooms are basically being banned, no showers and you're likely expected to attend in kit to reduce excess contacts. 

I'd be hopeful that pubs will be fairly well managed to keep safety measures in place, but we'll see how the worst of the drunkards fair after a few. 

Regulars are surely going to be known though, especially in villages etc, the regulars are usually known to the staff. But you're right that there is a risk many will give fake names which wold be fairly poor from them. 

I'd say potentially, there are probably quite a few gym twats who'd break or ignore certain rulings to allow them to get their workout in as they want. But you're right that those in pubs could likely be worse, especially after a few pints. 

Pubs seem a quietly dangerous place. After a couple of beers the hubris is going. 

6 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

It's good news as long as we don't allow any or limited travel into the country, but seeing as there's a virgin flight due in at 4.30 from shanghai,  i hope it's not bringing a fresh load in.

Edited by yorkie1999

Does the fact that pubs are open before gyms reflect the PM's priorities for his own enjoyment? I have seen no evidence gyms spread CV and with precautions in place they should open on July 4. Pure Gym do not understand logic in this - i agree,accepting that there may be no changing facilities available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53164946

41 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Does the fact that pubs are open before gyms reflect the PM's priorities for his own enjoyment? I have seen no evidence gyms spread CV and with precautions in place they should open on July 4. Pure Gym do not understand logic in this - i agree,accepting that there may be no changing facilities available

It probably is a balance of what they perceive the general population would want open, they can't open everything so they have looked at the numbers & thought maybe more people would want Pubs/Restaurants open than would want Gym's, there is also the fact that there are probably more people relying on employment from the Pubs/Food industry & the big 1 of course we are now going to have to start filling that £55.5b hole & Pubs/Rest will help do that more than Gym's i guess. :dunno:

I'm sure it won't be long, 2 weeks (3 weeks tops) from the 4th July once they have seen how the numbers are fairing they will annouce opening of the leisure centres, gyms & such like, you just can't open everything at the same time, hang in there Oxford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

In a pub you could grab your own pint and probably breath at a normal rate, in a gym you will be grabbing shared equipment and panting like a bitch so I’m not sure I understand your point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

That's a weird way to interpret the re-openings in all honesty.

Corona is hugely spread by contact; droplets sitting on a surface and being picked up. In Gyms you work out, therefore breathe more frequently = more droplets on surfaces. People sharing equipment and internal areas gives a huge number of surfaces and situations for potential transmission. Even with good management, gyms pose bigger risks than pubs.

As mentioned above, pubs/restaurants are probably the better chance to bring money into the economy than gyms. And let's face it this is all about bringing money back into the economy. Hopefully gyms won't be too far off reopening though should this phase pass without any issues. 

Edit: Also pure gym not understanding means nothing, they're a company wanting their monetary stream to return.

Edited by UniFox21

14 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

n a pub you could grab your own pint and probably breath at a normal rate, in a gym you will be grabbing shared equipment and panting like a bitch so I’m not sure I understand your point.

In a gym there would be protocols for wiping with santised wipes before and after use - Pure Gym have opened gyms in Europe with this happening with no evidence of transmission. Breathing may be more pronounced but is that any different from laughter which is usual in pubs?

I don't use Pure Gym but I expect they will not be alone in having similar measures, which I think will be more rigorous than in pubs (for example):

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/18539147.puregym-shares-centres-will-like-reopen/

Of course there may be risks, but this has to be balanced against a) the viability of gyms - as as happened with pubs, retail and b) the good that gyms do in helping with fitness and general well-being - which can help reduce pressure on NHS.

it also seems crazy club cricket cannot re-commence whereas international cricket can. If necessary, players could have sanitiser in their pockets.

8 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

In a gym there would be protocols for wiping with santised wipes before and after use - Pure Gym have opened gyms in Europe with this happening with no evidence of transmission. Breathing may be more pronounced but is that any different from laughter which is usual in pubs?

I don't use Pure Gym but I expect they will not be alone in having similar measures, which I think will be more rigorous than in pubs (for example):

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/18539147.puregym-shares-centres-will-like-reopen/

Of course there may be risks, but this has to be balanced against a) the viability of gyms - as as happened with pubs, retail and b) the good that gyms do in helping with fitness and general well-being - which can help reduce pressure on NHS.

it also seems crazy club cricket cannot re-commence whereas international cricket can. If necessary, players could have sanitiser in their pockets.

Europe is also further along the recovery path than England. You're also relying on people santising their equipment after usage. Don't compare laughing to gasping and heavy breathing, the latter will produce more droplets both in air and via sweat. 

International cricket can afford to regularly test participants. You can't compare club and international levels, the money just isn't the same. 

Your arguments are more awkward point raising than actually anything substantial. I appreciate your frustration, and gyms will open again.

• Like 1

There are some really interesting trials going on re different forms of testing.  

In Hampshire they are a trialing a swab test which takes 20 mins to give a result and in Southampton a spitting test which takes several days (ie send away) but is obviously very much easier to obtain.

If they work the former provides potential for super spreading environments  like a&e, doctors surgeries, care homes and dentists whereas the second could support mass mail out  testing of everyone in a region.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/trial-of-rapid-coronavirus-test-launched-in-hampshire

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-saliva-test-for-coronavirus-piloted-in-southampton

Mind you perhaps if they could combine these you could have pubs that you cannot leave before closing time with a spittoon at the entrance.  At last orders you either find you can go home or are staying for a 2 week lock in!

Edited by Stivo

I suspect that it helps we are instinctively a country that follows the rules. Hence people are generally not mixing in a way that risks spreading the disease ...... let’s see how that changes once more relaxation comes into play .....but the general lack of infection out there gives us fighting chance for the time being 

some crazy numbers out of the states today 

Florida cases up to 5500 today ....by some margin the largest number thus far .....

5 hours ago, oxford blue said:

image.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

some crazy numbers out of the states today 

Florida cases up to 5500 today ....by some margin the largest number thus far .....

Think this is the second time Florida has in excess of 5k.

As you say it is beginning to look bad in a number of states recently.  There have been a consecutive number of week days where at least five states have had daily cases in the four figure bracket.

California was 6.5k, Texas 5.3k yesterday.  Crazy numbers indeed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

WHO reporting a surge in cases in Europe related to easing lockdown. 

I guess its now a case of keeping surges at a manageable level rather than containing it. 

They'll obviously be an increase due to the easing of lockdown.

I think our best hope is track and trace, with outbreaks being contained. I can't see them imposing lockdown measures for specific areas or cities, it'll be too hard to police.

5 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Seriously, what is going on in the US?

Seems to be strongly regional, as @zorro en españa mentions above.

The first peak was dominated by East Coast states, like New York and New Jersey, plus a few others like Michigan, Louisiana & Washington. Those states now mostly have Covid infections under control at much lower levels.

But there has now been a big upsurge in certain southern and western states: Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc.

New York, New Jersey & Connecticut have just announced a 14-day quarantine on people arriving from a number of those states. :blink:

Obviously, Trump's endless rhetoric can't be helping - constantly downplaying/questioning the seriousness of the outbreak & prioritising the economy, in case it affects his re-election chances.

It does also seem to show the stupidity of humanity, though - not taking something seriously until your own local area is affected, even if the risks are obvious from events elsewhere.

We're certainly no better, having had a ringside seat to see what was happening in Italy and Spain, but apparently learning very little and following the same route (that's old news, though).

On the subject of gyms, I’m a member of PureGym and I sympathise with their point (and of course they want the revenue again like every other business does)

A couple of weeks before lockdown they put social distancing/sanitising measures in place and the staff policed it brilliantly. Limited numbers allowed in (the app tells you visitors v capacity), strict 2m rule, no fist bumps/chicken wings etc, half the equipment out of use, staff cleaning non stop, members MUST clean each station after use, etc, etc. They were all over it and I imagine will be even stricter on reopening.

Personally, I’d feel safer there than in a pub full of pissed up gobby youths.