Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 12/08/2020 at 17:59, simFox said:

Exercising such level of caution is just weak decision making and poor leadership, especially when faced with the economic data.

A couple of months from now, Brazil be more or less back to normal while Aus and NZ are still in full lockdown with the UK locking down entire cities when they find more than 50 cases.

Was looking back and thought to see how this one stood the test of time...

Brazil.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

If you zoom in on the graph you can just about make out an increase.

If you take a look at the hospital in question you don't need to - and that's what the article is about.

Damn those frontline healthcare workers - they've done nothing but complain for the last fifteen months. 

17 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Wonder what it would take for these people to stop wearing them. The numbers aren't going to get any lower than they are now, are they just going to wear them indefinitely now?

I'm going to keep wearing mine. It gives me the opportunity to mouth random obscenities at people without them twigging. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

FYI 30-31 year olds are now eligible, Booked my vaccine at Leicester General. There are a couple of slots available if anybody books through this website.

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/covid-19-information-hub/covid-19-vaccination/

Thanks for this, booked mine at the LRI. The nearest I could get on the NHS website was Birmingham way, pretty ridiculous.

I live in the Berkshire and tried to book my vaccine just now, the website said my nearest available site requires me to travel into London... guess I will wait! 

Presumably this is just an availability thing? I plan to just login every day until something else is available. I can see a vaccination centre from my apartment window :D

Edited by FoxesWalk

Guest Harrydc

For anyone interested, this is a letter from Birmingham City Council under the freedom of information act. 

It's certainly and interesting read. 

14 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I assume the basis for this decision (now reversed) is this:

Surge testing will not see a further drop off.  More likely pick up false positives.  Can't see the current trend lowering any further.  This country/UK govt has an obsession with testing.

Basically people need to get vaccinated and stop with the testing otherwise I see no end to it.

That is a graph of positivity rate.  It shows that  about 2.5 % of tests  undertaken are currently positive.

One would expect surge testing of people without symptoms to lower the positivity rate not increase it ( as you are testing people without symptoms). If you surged sufficiently to test everyone in Leicester you would expect the positivity rate to be much less than 1%.

False positives  even for lateral flow are less than 1 in a thousand so will contribute less than 0.1% to the positivity rate.

I don’t think positivity rate tells us anything much.  The number of cases is more useful although that can be affected (increased) by surge testing

Edited by Stivo
  • Like 1

I'm no fan of the tory government but Cummings is a particularly odious piece of filth isn't he? 

Scrambling to place all responsibility at the door of someone else when we know he was involved is a disgusting act. 

I hope he suffers. 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Below the belt Mac - not many can claim to have got their predictions right on this thing ….

Tbh I cab see why you'd think that and it's far from the only bad prediction on here, but I don't think it hits below the belt and I'll explain why:

- firstly, is a particularly egregious example of stating opinion as fact.

- secondly, it stands out from other similar egregious examples because it flies in the face of pretty much everything known about Bolsanaro and his governance of Brazil, and the way this virus perpetuates and its effects.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I live in the Berkshire and tried to book my vaccine just now, the website said my nearest available site requires me to travel into London... guess I will wait! 

Presumably this is just an availability thing? I plan to just login every day until something else is available. I can see a vaccination centre from my apartment window :D

A mate of mine lives on Blackbird Road and to travel to Nottingham for his jab yet I had a five min walk for mine to Glenfield Hospital. Seems pot luck as most of my family seemed to be travelling a few miles yet me and the wife could not have been any closer to home. 

Edited by OrielCaziado

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I hate Cummings but if it means getting Johnson and his buddies out of power for being so heartless and not for the people then I'm all for it 

The only thing that's not a massive surprise so far is how much Dom hates Matt Hancock

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

For anyone interested, this is a letter from Birmingham City Council under the freedom of information act. 

It's certainly and interesting read. 

If this is floating the idea that the death count from Covid in the UK wasn't nearly so high as thought and the Government were involved in a conspiracy regarding the whole thing for the purposes of power...there is one question.

If there was a conspiracy afoot, Why would any government sector let something like this out that would prove it and simply not provide a doctored set of statistics, if that's what they've been doing all along? Why tell the truth now? 

Edited by leicsmac

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If this is floating the idea that the death count from Covid in the UK wasn't nearly so high as thought and the Government were involved in a conspiracy regarding the whole thing for the purposes of power...there is one question.

If there was a conspiracy afoot, Why would any government sector let something like this out that would prove it and simply not provide a doctored set of statistics, if that's what they've been doing all along? Why tell the truth now? 

Any data from 2020 is placed in the context of substantial restrictions. So it's pretty useless using that information to prove a pattern. If we had COVID + normal lifestyles, it would be a significant increase. 

https://www.cremation.org.uk/content/files/Table of Cremations 2020 for website.pdf - across the country cremations were up 15%. Worth considering Birmingham was under Tier 3 restrictions from end of October to the New Year as well. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox