Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

The reason Edouard would come here over stay at Celtic is simply down to money and that we attract huge interest from bigger clubs after only half a decent season with us. Its the perfect move for him, my worry is Celtic would rather sell for £20m to someone else than let us have him for £25-30m. I could imagine them being that petty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Really don't care where a player comes from if he's good enough he's good enough if he isn't he isn't, we've picked up world class players from non league and the French second division teams, can't imagine turning down a player purely based on the fact he plays in Scotland, and for their only decent team no less. 

Would it be a risk to sign a player for £30m from (for example) League 1 even if he was dead good? 

12 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

We really need to ship out some dead wood as opposed to selling Kelechi to finance any deals.  Easier said than done I know, but we seem to be flush as we can afford to hand out contract extensions to aged squad fillers.  All very confusing. You  would think it best to sort out the nucleus of the first 16 first.  Why do we need three goalkeepers as opposed to 2 plus the under 23 keeper?  Surely there are more frugal ways to cut the wage bill than selling Kelechi?

Probably to uphold a good standard in practice for training. The keepers have to push eachother and the outfielders need a decent standard to practice against. Some goes for some of the outfield players over the years, Inler, Mendy, James, Wasil, Amartey ect. theyre still back up but day to day training they're handy to have around the club.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Rohr didn't hold back in his criticism of the 22-year-old and warned him to improve his attitude when asked if he wanted more from the forward.

"I am not really satisfied with his performance and his professionalism," he said, as quoted by Vanguard.

So one guy for a national team. Rodgers the guy that works day in day out with him has said his attitude is first class and thats the most important thing. Certainly wouldnt stop him getting a move to another Prem team, the guy would walk into half of the leagues teams.

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Would it be a risk to sign a player for £30m from (for example) League 1 even if he was dead good? 

Every signing is a risk, but players in league 1 don't score in Europe, it's not a fair comparison. Rodgers knows the player well and if he wants him you'll have to trust his judgement. I'd rather we spend 30m on someone who's ceiling isn't known with that potential than another steady but unspectacular player like perez.

• Like 2

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Every signing is a risk, but players in league 1 don't score in Europe, it's not a fair comparison. Rodgers knows the player well and if he wants him you'll have to trust his judgement. I'd rather we spend 30m on someone who's ceiling isn't known with that potential than another steady but unspectacular player like perez.

Unfair to perez, he's had a poor season and still gotten 8 goals, we're just not the right team for him. I think if he went to a team that played to his strengths he would be excellent.

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The reason Edouard would come here over stay at Celtic is simply down to money and that we attract huge interest from bigger clubs after only half a decent season with us. Its the perfect move for him, my worry is Celtic would rather sell for £20m to someone else than let us have him for £25-30m. I could imagine them being that petty.

I doubt that, they are going to take a massive hit financial due to the loss of income from matches days.

They are going to hungry for income. 

iheanacho has improved a lot but he's not the quickest, trickiest or great in the air, there are limitations to his game even though he's a very good finisher.

If we could sell Iheanacho and bring in Edouard for the Iheanacho fee and another £10m then it's a no brainer for me. There are no red flags in signing Edouard for me. Very highly rated, young, came from a world class academy and has been linked with top clubs in Europe. 

BR has worked with him and knows the player and @henrik_62 who I consider a very fair and balanced poster sees him week in week out and rates him higher than Dembele. Iheanacho will probably never be the main striker for an elite club but Edouard has a reasonable chance of being that player. 

If you can get in top class potential for a player who hasn't forced his way into the team in three seasons then take that chance IMO for a club like ours.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Would be a good signing but I honestly think if Ian was playing in Scotland he’d score more goals. 

Scoring goals is only part of it. Look st McCoist and Larsson. Similar scoring records in scotland but when it comes to who is the better player? Not even close. 

Nacho would maybe score similair or more goals in scotland but he doesn't have the pace or skill that french Eddy has. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

iheanacho has improved a lot but he's not the quickest, trickiest or great in the air, there are limitations to his game even though he's a very good finisher.

If we could sell Iheanacho and bring in Edouard for the Iheanacho fee and another £10m then it's a no brainer for me. There are no red flags in signing Edouard for me. Very highly rated, young, came from a world class academy and has been linked with top clubs in Europe. 

BR has worked with him and knows the player and @henrik_62 who I consider a very fair and balanced poster sees him week in week out and rates him higher than Dembele. Iheanacho will probably never be the main striker for an elite club but Edouard has a reasonable chance of being that player. 

If you can get in top class potential for a player who hasn't forced his way into the team in three seasons then take that chance IMO for a club like ours.

I dont understand why people are comparing him to dembele and using him as the benchmark for a world class forward, dembele is in an incredibly stacked lyon side (auoar, depay etc) and only getting 15 goals in Ligue 1, he's really not very good, not worth half the hype he gets. If edouard is better than dembele that means very little. From what ive seen from edouard he's got poor off the ball movement, he's not a very good finisher, he's a good dribbler but do we really need a striker who can dribble? Iheanacho might not be world class but if we're going to get rid of him it has to be for a much better player than edouard.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I dont understand why people are comparing him to dembele and using him as the benchmark for a world class forward, dembele is in an incredibly stacked lyon side (auoar, depay etc) and only getting 15 goals in Ligue 1, he's really not very good, not worth half the hype he gets. If edouard is better than dembele that means very little. From what ive seen from edouard he's got poor off the ball movement, he's not a very good finisher, he's a good dribbler but do we really need a striker who can dribble? Iheanacho might not be world class but if we're going to get rid of him it has to be for a much better player than edouard.

Ligue 1 is a very defensive league and hard to score in, tbf. Not making any comment on the rest of your post, just wanted to point that out

37 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Ligue 1 is a very defensive league and hard to score in, tbf. Not making any comment on the rest of your post, just wanted to point that out

Im not saying he's bad, but he's also not that good and not the yardstick to compare forwards by. Despite where lyon finished in the league theyre one of the best teams in europe imo, a top quality striker should be scoring 20+ goals for them, i wouldnt be surprised if when they sell him they actually get a better striker.

Edited by honeybradger

9 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Im not saying he's bad, far from it but he's not the yardstick to compare forwards by. Despite where lyon finished in the league theyre one of the best teams in europe imo, a top quality striker should be scoring 20+ goals for them, i wouldnt be surprised if when they sell him they actually get a better striker.

They have suffered terrible coaching all season, for him to get 16 goals, 2 less than Mbappe and Ben Yedder who were topscorers, is good, especially in only 28 games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

So one guy for a national team. Rodgers the guy that works day in day out with him has said his attitude is first class and thats the most important thing. Certainly wouldnt stop him getting a move to another Prem team, the guy would walk into half of the leagues teams.

Yeah, you asked to clarify my comment and I did so. Not sure why there’s such a shoulder roll in your response! 

Gone quite on here which pleases me. No doubt like me you’re all watching Celtic v Hamilton Accies? 
Goes very much against the FT grain I know, but we’re watching a player we’re interested in (possibly) in an actual game rather than making  our minds up based on YouTube highlights...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think its the league though that's the issue as many of Portuguese players have come to the PL and been superb. Ricardo is the 2nd best right back in the PL, if not the best at if you consider his tackling stats and then attacking stats together. Slimani has the ability to do well in this country too, he just had the wrong attitude and there's no way back for him. He scored and set up at a decent enough rate in the only season he was competing for a proper first team spot. His goals and assists for Monaco last season show he's no duffer but Silva was a disaster and the money we paid for both given their age was hideous.

We were well and truly had and I've no doubt we'd be had by you boys if we try and recruit a couple of players off you. Not so much in that they wouldn't do well here but we'd end up paying way too much as you'll not negotiate sensibly with us and that's something that Sporting seemed to have us over a barrel on. 

I understand all that, the point I was trying to make is the relative strength of the league by and large doesn’t have a great deal of relevance in whether signings turn out to be successful, it’s far more subtle than that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Why won’t Celtic want to do business with us ??

we paid up the fee for brendan without trying to negotiate it down 

what’s happened thereafter has proved our approach to get him in before the end of the season was correct 

they have won both titles since BR left 

if the player is set on leaving then there is no reason why they would refuse our bid but if there are multiple bids on the table then Celtic would be better off with their fanbase accepting an alternative to ours ..

Your dead right, nonsense that argument. Celtic will do business with whoever meets the asking price for any player. 

we released a statement not so long ago after clinching 9 in a row where rodgers was name checked and praised throughout.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Your well off it here, that’s absolutely not the case.