Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

1 minute ago, Fox85 said:

Worked well with Ricardo.

Your point is so invalid there is good players that don't work well at other clubs there is shit leagues and there is also better leagues.

Portugal does produce much better talent than what is in Scotland but there isn't half some cracking individual talent in Scotland aswel regardless if the majority are part time painter and decorators 

The point is though Riccardo is the exception rather than the rule when you take Portugal as an example. You've spent what, circa £70m in Portugal on transfer fees alone, discounting wages, which has got you a very good right back and two duds who have barely played, who you are still paying and can't get anyone to take off your hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

The point is though Riccardo is the exception rather than the rule when you take Portugal as an example. You've spent what, circa £70m in Portugal on transfer fees alone, discounting wages, which has got you a very good right back and two duds who have barely played, who you are still paying and can't get anyone to take off your hands.

Except one of those 'duds' scored the goal that took us into the UCL last 16.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I'm struggling to think of SPL players transfered to PL clubs that have been successful in recent seasons. Obviously Van Dijk but others?  Tierney (although I think the jury is still out)? So talk of signing an SPL player for £30m is reckless (which I think would be a record?). 

To be honest, there's not been a huge amount of signings from the SPL in recent years full stop. Armstrong has done well at Southampton and McGinn was very good for Villa before his injury, i expect he'll do well again next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Which is why we should back iheanacho who's a known quantity, rather than some bloke in another league.

26 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Press about his attitude? What attitude? 

Rohr didn't hold back in his criticism of the 22-year-old and warned him to improve his attitude when asked if he wanted more from the forward.

"I am not really satisfied with his performance and his professionalism," he said, as quoted by Vanguard.

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I don't think its the league though that's the issue as many of Portuguese players have come to the PL and been superb. Ricardo is the 2nd best right back in the PL, if not the best at if you consider his tackling stats and then attacking stats together. Slimani has the ability to do well in this country too, he just had the wrong attitude and there's no way back for him. He scored and set up at a decent enough rate in the only season he was competing for a proper first team spot. His goals and assists for Monaco last season show he's no duffer but Silva was a disaster and the money we paid for both given their age was hideous.

We were well and truly had and I've no doubt we'd be had by you boys if we try and recruit a couple of players off you. Not so much in that they wouldn't do well here but we'd end up paying way too much as you'll not negotiate sensibly with us and that's something that Sporting seemed to have us over a barrel on. 

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

You would have sat here saying similar about Moussa Dembele a couple of years ago, who actually scored less than Edouard for us and now if you were linked with him you'd be in raptures as there's top clubs all over Europe after him. Edouard could go the same way, maybe he won't but the ceratin thing is if he leaves Celtic and does relatively well anywhere else he'll be outwith your reach. Players like Eduoard, Leicester's chance to sign them is when they're at Celtic as if he was at a Lyon, Everton or somewhere  like that and done well he'd be far off your radar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but it's folly and arrogant to turn your nose up at the SPL in terms of finding value, particularly with the money you have wasted on players from the Portuguese and French leagues in recent years that are obviously stronger leagues in general. Said it before and will say it again, you could have had Tierney, Van Dijk, Dembele and John McGinn from Scotland and still had change form £60m who would all at varying points in time improved your squad and earned you very good money when selling on. 

There is not a question that at times quality can be found in the Scottish league. There’s quality all over the place. Leicester is the club which found a Ligue 2 player for £400k and a striker for £1 million from non league. Our scouts know how to find the diamond from the rough. 

The point is, playing for Celtic where the actual ambition is low, a players mental strength has to be examined alongside the perceived ability. You would expect the same scrutiny on a player from English lower leagues and leagues such as Portugal, Ligue 1, Dutch Leagues etc. There are no free games in the EPL. And it’s very easy for a good player to hit a rut. We have seen that with Slimani and Kelechi (though the latter has come out of it). 

The SPL has thrown up some absolute gems in years gone by. Henrik Larsen was probably one of the best strikers in the world - in his prime he could’ve played in any team as the main striker. However, compare that to Pierre Van Hooijkdonk - the talent was there but he struggled down here because of that mental strength. It’s the same for players from other comparable leagues. Take Van Nistelrooy - great player. Alfonso Alves ? Not so much.

Because of the intensity and competition. Playing at any team in the Premier League is a major step up for a player playing in Scotland. I’ll say it again, for £40 million, I would expect the club to do all sorts of research and one being whether he can make the step up even if things are not going well. Is any player currently in the SPL at that price bracket ? I would say no until he achieves it at a higher level - there is always an element of risk.

Had we finished 4th this might have happened. But in all honesty in this current climate he is probably better staying at Celtic. They are Odsonne to be in Europe again next year whereas if we fail to do our business right, don’t deal with the quick turn around right and fail to adapt to Europe, we could well end up at the wrong end of the table. He’s a quality player, and if we don’t sign him a top English team will. But Celtic won’t want to do business with us.

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Robertson, Wanyama, Ryan Fraser (he's been ok).

35 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Ryan Fraser signed for Bournemouth in League 1.

Robertson signed for Hull in 2014 who were then relegated (twice!), so not really all that recent and nor was it a particularly spectacular transfer...

Edited by Xen

Why won’t Celtic want to do business with us ??

we paid up the fee for brendan without trying to negotiate it down 

what’s happened thereafter has proved our approach to get him in before the end of the season was correct 

they have won both titles since BR left 

if the player is set on leaving then there is no reason why they would refuse our bid but if there are multiple bids on the table then Celtic would be better off with their fanbase accepting an alternative to ours ..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

Robertson signed for Hull in 2014 who were then relegated (twice!), so not really all that recent and nor was it a particularly spectacular transfer...

99%+ of the SPL wouldn't get into any PL team, so if we're looking at recent players who have gone straight into a PL team and done well, we'll only have VVD (even that was over 5 years ago now). Armstrong and Tierney are the other ones I can think of who have gone straight into a match day PL squad from the SPL in the last 2 or 3 years.

Other than the West Ham away game where we massively rotated were there any other games where Kelechi played as a solo striker?

Most of the time when he has come off the bench or started it has always been alongside Vardy

Maybe we are looking for someone who is a bit more comfortable playing in the solo striker role as Rodgers feels Iheanacho isn’t really up to it?

54 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's quite a long list TBF...

Larsson

Artera
Adam

Weir

Niemi

Petrov

Cuellar

Fletcher

Naismith

McGinn

VVD

Foster

Tierney

Van Bronkhorst

Wanyama

McClair

Viduka

Di Canio

Maloney

Van Hooijdonk

Hutton

Boumsoug

Jelavic

Robertson

Pukki

Ledley

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

99%+ of the SPL wouldn't get into any PL team, so if we're looking at recent players who have gone straight into a PL team and done well, we'll only have VVD (even that was over 5 years ago now). Armstrong and Tierney are the other ones I can think of who have gone straight into a match day PL squad from the SPL in the last 2 or 3 years.

McGinn was the last good import. 

Id be over the moon with this signing. Not going to get much better for circa 30m. Young, goalscorer, European experience and worked with Rodgers before. If Rodgers thinks he would be better than Kelechi, we couldn't ask for a better judge, considering how much he has worked with both. Personally would prefer they were both here, but we will need to sell to buy id have thought. Got no issue with the league as I'd happily take dumbele now and he didn't look as good as Edouard. 

19 minutes ago, Sly said:

Larsson

Artera
Adam

Weir

Niemi

Petrov

Cuellar

Fletcher

Naismith

McGinn

VVD

Foster

Tierney

Van Bronkhorst

Wanyama

McClair

Viduka

Di Canio

Maloney

Van Hooijdonk

Hutton

Boumsoug

Jelavic

Robertson

Pukki

Ledley

... and how many of those have gone straight into a PL squad and been a success in the past, say, 5 seasons? 

We really need to ship out some dead wood as opposed to selling Kelechi to finance any deals.  Easier said than done I know, but we seem to be flush as we can afford to hand out contract extensions to aged squad fillers.  All very confusing. You  would think it best to sort out the nucleus of the first 16 first.  Why do we need three goalkeepers as opposed to 2 plus the under 23 keeper?  Surely there are more frugal ways to cut the wage bill than selling Kelechi?

• Like 1