Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

40 minutes ago, MPH said:

i’ll be honest and think that part of the way Brendan seems to be handling himself in the media and protecting his public image certainly gives me the impression that he’s on a long term PR mission to create the image needed for a top Job.

I would suggest that his stock is trading pretty low at the mo. Given that he hasnt won much outside Scotland, which hardly counts, what are his credentials for a move to a “big club”?

Fundamentally, Brendan is right though. Our demise over the second half of the season has certainly casted enormous doubt over his credibility and perhaps more so, the quality/attitude of some of our players. But it's the same combination that took the league by storm and I think it's perhaps naive to suggest that Brendan drastically changed his philosophy that has lead to this. Injuries and a young, largely unproven squad are bound to suffer more from the loss of confidence our Christmas results would have created. But as fans, we equally suffer from the latter, tenfold; our confidence in a team that a few months ago, felt could challenge for the title has fallen off a cliff. 

Inexcusable as it might seem, we are still 4th with 3 games to play and look likely to break into a top 6 that was seemingly impenetrable. I think the psychology behind our loss of faith is quite similar to eating the best part of your Christmas dinner first, only to be left with the stuff you didn't want so much - so on and so forth until you end up with the thing you didn't want at all. Doesn't change the fact that you had the best bit, but leaves an incredibly unsatisfying taste at the end. So I suppose the question for all of us is: would we rather have had the 9 game winning streak, or had those results spread throughout the season? 

I think if it were the latter and we were still in this position, then perhaps we wouldn't be having this debate at all; and Brendan's system would still look just as effective. I suppose you can look to Wolves, who have a ridiculously talented squad, but drawn more games and won less, to see my point. Nuno is rightly regarded as a wonderful coach and lauded by their fans, whereas we've turned to disregard our own, who has achieved more highly. 

However you see it, Rome wasn't built in a day and it would be ludicrous to expect that with our small, relatively inexperienced squad, we would be able to maintain our form from earlier this season. Nonetheless, the signs and potential is there, so having some faith that we're still very much heading in the right direction is important during a difficult patch for us. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
6 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

However you see it, Rome wasn't built in a day and it would be ludicrous to expect that with our small, relatively inexperienced squad, we would be able to maintain our form from earlier this season. Nonetheless, the signs and potential is there, so having some faith that we're still very much heading in the right direction is important during a difficult patch for us. 

We did start with six thirty-somethings against Bournemouth and replaced Nacho with an older player so youth had nothing to do with the disaster there.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

i’ll be honest and think that part of the way Brendan seems to be handling himself in the media and protecting his public image certainly gives me the impression that he’s on a long term PR mission to create the image needed for a top Job.

I don't blame him. Think he'll probably want to see the ambition of the club in the summer window and he and the club will make a decision then.

There is no loyalty in modern football or business. I always had an eye on the door for a better job with better pay and opportunity for advancement.

If you don't believe in yourself who will? Its all we have.

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

Probably eaten up by the pandemic.

That training ground won’t be cheap either. 
Particularly so when the duty free sales have zeroed for the best part of 4 months.

Edited by Ceirboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I don't blame him. Think he'll probably want to see the ambition of the club in the summer window and he and the club will make a decision then.

There is no loyalty in modern football or business. I always had an eye on the door for a better job with better pay and opportunity for advancement.

Well he isn’t showing me anything this year that tells me he is good enough for a ‘top’ job. So if he does want that job then he should actually prove himself capable first. Looks totally lost to how to change any game around, in fact he turns games into the oppositions favour 

• Like 2

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well he isn’t showing me anything this year that tells me he is good enough for a ‘top’ job. So if he does want that job then he should actually prove himself capable first. Looks totally lost to how to change any game around, in fact he turns games into the oppositions favour 

Brendan has 3 games to seriously show his mettle. Football is fickle and he’ll be remembered for a dramatic collapse over 7 months and it will be noted that the most animated he was throughout that period was when he was engineering his bumper contract improvement. 
Football is devoid of morals of that there is no doubt, so it shouldn’t be of any surprise to anyone that players and managers alike always have one eye on something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astleyfox said:

I would suggest that his stock is trading pretty low at the mo. Given that he hasnt won much outside Scotland, which hardly counts, what are his credentials for a move to a “big club”?

Well, he DID do fairly well at Liverpool... and getting Leicester into the champions league i’d consider one too ( or at least covering up/ passing the blame for failing to do so).

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, MPH said:

Well, he DID do fairly well at Liverpool... and getting Leicester into the champions league i’d consider one too ( or at least covering up/ passing the blame for failing to do so).

Hard to fail with Suarez to be fair.

I think doubling Rodger's salary has got to be the biggest mistake this board has made. After years of letting players who want to leave go for a more than fair price (drinkwater, mahrez, maguire), desparately doubling Rodgers's wage to try and hold onto him after links with Arsenal who were midtable at the time doesnt follow our club's policy. It's small club mentality to try and hold onto personel that dont 100% want to be here and to cave into wage demands of these people (ozil at arsenal, Man United post Ferguson). Either Rodgers wanted to leave and he's not worth having or he wanted to stay and there was no reason to double his salary. Hopefully Top learns from this, if he wants to make us a consistent Top 7/8 club we need to have the mentality that our success never depends on one individual and whoever leaves we will move forward without.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MPH said:

So he managed Liverpool... won nothing after they bottled a dominate position, then got sacked. He does have us in CL places but this whole year has been relegation form. Neither are going to convince a ‘top’ club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

A bit worrying in that article that if we don't get CL we won't have much money for transfers and may have to look in the loan market.

What happened to the Maguire money?

We have have hardly flashed the cash over the last 5 years anyway, are net spend has been around 20m a season 

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, MPH said:

yes!

Is he likely to try and take credit for making him the player he was? did he even sign him?

Suarez is, in spite of his terrifying teeth , one of the greatest strikers I have ever seen . He was always great long before Liverpool. The Uruguayan Alan Shearer.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

We did start with six thirty-somethings against Bournemouth and replaced Nacho with an older player so youth had nothing to do with the disaster there.

Strange that you isolate one game as opposed to discussing the season on the whole - which is what I thought should be the focus when discussing the merits of a manager.

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

Strange that you isolate one game as opposed to discussing the season on the whole - which is what I thought should be the focus when discussing the merits of a manager.

We are not a particularly young or inexperienced team and cannot keep using that as an excuse.

People always told me that Rodgers will

leave at a drop of a hat for a big job. I agreed but for that to happen we’d have to perform well. Bigger clubs are careful to choose managers when taking them from a smaller club because of how it’s perceived by their fan base (aka armchairs across the world). 

If we fcuks this up, Rodgers will never get a bigger job after this (without a long spell at a club of four to five seasons). There were valid questions about his coaching under pressure before he joined. And it’s happened here again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SO1 said:

..with our present decline, how many clubs are going to be rushing to offer him a post, with the finance and freedom that we offer!!!

• Like 1

I don't understand his obsession with playing a back three recently. We're a possession based team and generally teams sit off us knowing we're going to dominate the ball. Therefore having three centre backs is unnecessary as most teams have 1 up front so there's always a free defender and we don't have wingbacks without Chilwell and Ricardo in the team to play this way. Generally teams stay narrow on us and allow us to have space out wide so surely we should be playing 4-3-3 as it stretches the defence more and its a system we have had great success with this season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shailen said:

I don't understand his obsession with playing a back three recently. We're a possession based team and generally teams sit off us knowing we're going to dominate the ball. Therefore having three centre backs is unnecessary as most teams have 1 up front so there's always a free defender and we don't have wingbacks without Chilwell and Ricardo in the team to play this way. Generally teams stay narrow on us and allow us to have space out wide so surely we should be playing 4-3-3 as it stretches the defence more and its a system we have had great success with this season. 

433 had clearly become stagnant. it made sense for him to change things, but I do agree switching to a back 3 seemed a bit strange. I’d rather have a flat back 4 and a diamond in the middle with Kel and Vardy up top. Their growing partnership has looked good, and Kel coming into the space between the lines has linked the midfield and attack much better.

If we slip out of the Champions League places, Rodgers is going to have presided over 2 of the biggest bottle jobs of the last 10 years. 

This isn't saying I want him gone, I think he should start next season with us at the very least, but if it comes to pass that we slip out, I don't know what 'big' club worth their salt would look at his record of teams absolutely falling to pieces at crucial moments and deciding he's the right man for the job. 

• Like 1