Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

38 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Would Top pull the trigger if we miss out on Champions League Football? it would be harsh but nothing surprises me anymore, tbh I think Rodgers saving grace was the cup competitions had we won one I think his job would be secure even if we finished in the Europa League.

The pressure is certainly on let’s hope he and the team rises to the challenge

I don't think so and it would make very little sense results wise (we'd still finish higher than last seasons), let alone the insane amount of money we'd have to pay him.

Even if we don't get the CL, he still has enough credit in the bank to get at least the next season's 10-15 games. Crucial will be this summer and who we will sign and/or who will go.

In the best case, he turns this around, make some good signings and we'll compete for top 6 again. I don't believe one second that we'll have another go at the CL for a very long time, given that MU and Chelsea have heavily reinforced their team and will spend again in the summer. We simply don't have their financial power and you need squad depth to compete at the very top.

In the worst case, the slump continues, he gets booted around Christmas with a heavy pay off, leaves us the expensive dross signed by him and Congerton in the summer and we'll see ourselves in a relegation battle.

Waiting and dreading the next game.

Edited by That_Dude

Guest An Sionnach

Rodgers, Davies, Congerton : common denominator,  No playing career . That to me would be a serious worry . Kolo Touré is the only one with that on his CV. You can't lecture seasoned pros unless you have done it yourself. Rodgers should have a former player as his number two. Wenger always had that with the two club legends Rice and Bould. 

I don’t think the axe will fall when we miss out on CL after this season. I do think if we start out next season in the same form, the leash is going to be fairly short - maybe 8-10 games.

Edited by Deeg67

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers, Davies, Congerton : common denominator,  No playing career . That to me would be a serious worry . Kolo Touré is the only one with that on his CV. You can't lecture seasoned pros unless you have done it yourself. Rodgers should have a former player as his number two. Wenger always had that with the two club legends Rice and Bould. 

Why are you still banging that drum? You've been proved wrong countless times.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

..and he never listened to either of them!!!

They are very similar as they advocated a passing game but when it came to the big matches he always went save, playing against the natural instincts of his team. We could end up being the Arsenal of the midlands, consistent top 6 but challenging for nothing.

Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, That_Dude said:

As an analogy , I ' m doing a skilled job in a factory and some college educated type, who has never done the job himself , starts telling me how to do it. What would you think? In truth you see it everywhere these days and it ain't working. When Guardiola criticises your play you absolutely know it comes from somebody who knows what he,'s talking about.

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I want to hear the fella take some ownership and go 'fair cop I and the team got it wrong'. He's increasingly reminding me of a PR machine. Managing his own image/stock. Cúrrently he is failing in his job. But not according to brand 'Rogers'. 

I like a bít of honesty and straight talking in my managers. It hopefully shows they give the players the same treatment.

That's always been his rep though - relentless self-promoter, never admitted a mistake in his life.

• Like 1

As an analogy , I ' m doing a skilled job in a factory and some college educated type, who has never done the job himself , starts telling me how to do it. What would you think? In truth you see it everywhere these days and it ain't working. When Guardiola criticises your play you absolutely know it comes from somebody who knows what he,'s talking about.

What about Mourinho? Never played at all but won shitloads and worked with some of the most decorated players going.

Guest An Sionnach
14 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Rodgers did play football, albeit not at the highest level, and he does understand more than enough of the game and its rules. Tactics, formations, long-term planing, man management, appraisal of the individuals and the team, playing to their strengths, all of these are essential in a manager's job

Rodgers may have much technical knowledge , but if all his theory hits a brick wall he has little else to fall back on. Respect is vital and he is rapidly losing it , most certainly on here and probably with his team. As much as I disliked Claude Puel , his playing career was to be respected.

Edited by An Sionnach

Guest An Sionnach
7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What about Mourinho? Never played at all but won shitloads and worked with some of the most decorated players going.

Mourinho of course created Rodgers , yes his early record was excellent but he looks a spent force now. He is a media star these days , they love controversy.

45 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers may have much technical knowledge , but if all his theory hits a brick wall he has little else to fall back on. Respect is vital and he is rapidly losing it , most certainly on here and probably with his team. As much as I disliked Claude Puel , his playing career was to be respected.

Respect is gained through your deeds as a manager and the ability of making players adhere to your vision, not through your player's career. The latter is an advantage but it can only shield you so much. When the players notice that you're incompetent and taking them to nowhere, they'll simply stop playing for you, even if you were God reincarnated in a footballer.

Edited by That_Dude

Neither Alex Ferguson nor Arsene Wenger ever played at a particularly high level, would you say either of them couldn't tell their team what to do because of it? This is completely irrelevant to managerial ability. 

Guest An Sionnach
54 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

Neither Alex Ferguson nor Arsene Wenger ever played at a particularly high level, would you say either of them couldn't tell their team what to do because of it? This is completely irrelevant to managerial ability. 

Fergie was a more than useful centre forward actually, but unless you misunderstand me I am firmly in the Rodgers must stay camp , even if we lose the last three matches. He owes this club for his massive contract but he needs to acknowledge his mistakes and not and I mean not repeat them.

3 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I want to hear the fella take some ownership and go 'fair cop I and the team got it wrong'. He's increasingly reminding me of a PR machine. Managing his own image/stock. Cúrrently he is failing in his job. But not according to brand 'Rogers'. 

I like a bít of honesty and straight talking in my managers. It hopefully shows they give the players the same treatment.

This is a great post. You can't help but feel his priorities are his CV first, the current team he manages second. And sense he is always looking for a greater opportunity.

However, this said, in fairness he's done very well since he arrived here. And we are ultimately still more than the sum of our parts. And his football has been entertaining, progressive, and good to watch a lot of the time. Yes OK not always but it is hard to look good when playing against parked buses. 

If the performances and results pick up again then we'll all look past his ego and self-publicism. If not, then it won't take much for fans to round on his negative qualities. He's the opposite of a Pearson or Ranieri in that sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

This is a great post. You can't help but feel his priorities are his CV first, the current team he manages second. And sense he is always looking for a greater opportunity.

However, this said, in fairness he's done very well since he arrived here. And we are ultimately still more than the sum of our parts. And his football has been entertaining, progressive, and good to watch a lot of the time. Yes OK not always but it is hard to look good when playing against parked buses. 

If the performances and results pick up again then we'll all look past his ego and self-publicism. If not, then it won't take much for fans to round on his negative qualities. He's the opposite of a Pearson or Ranieri in that sense.

Honestly i havent been that impressed with our performances for any stretch of games this season, at the start i think it was just a bubble and the bubble burst. Vardy was barely getting service in the first 18 games, like now, difference is he was ridiculously clinical. There have definitely been a few good one off performances where we show what we we're capable of but realistically our early season form was just Vardy carrying us and a solid defence, the attacking teamplay has never really been there for us this season.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Fergie was a more than useful centre forward actually, but unless you misunderstand me I am firmly in the Rodgers must stay camp , even if we lose the last three matches. He owes this club for his massive contract but he needs to acknowledge his mistakes and not and I mean not repeat them.

I wonder if it is a record to qualify for Europe and lose to all relegated teams although Villa in cup

The choreographed and contrived manner in which he went about the apparent Arsenal interest was sickening. 
He really rode on the coat tails of Vardy being on song and forced the clubs hands in giving him an improved contract. 
He would never have gone there, he’d have been found out by Valentine’s Day! 
It was the greatest example so far of Brendan doing what’s best for Brendan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, That_Dude said:

The argument doesn’t stack at all. 

Just because Rodgers wasn’t technically good enough to play football at the highest level, doesn’t mean players won’t work with him or respect him. 

I mean .... you could argue that a GK couldn’t get the best out of a forward, however Nuno Espírito Santo isn’t doing a bad job. 

Mourinho, AVB, Wenger, Sacchi, Jardim, SG Erikkson, Avram Grant, Rangnick, Vitor Pererira, Clement, Houlier, Hodgson ...

Carlos Alberto Parreria won a World Cup without being a top player! 

Klopp wasn’t a top player! 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I assume you're a premier league football manager then, because based on your analogy you can't criticise another one without having done it?

Edited by Stuntman_Mike