Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

How any one can say Gray hasn’t  been given enough change to play or play himself into form is beyond me . The guy has been here for years under numerous different mangers who have all also seen him in training day in day out . When Ryad left he simple didn’t take his chance to cement a place no if not buts that’s the facts of it . You then compare him to Barnes who also got messed about if you want to use that argument . Barnes went on loan got pulled back then didn’t feature then got played here and there and dropped . Yet Barnes has steadily improved and over took Gray . As much raw ability Gray has he hasn’t  got the brain to mentally focus or right mentality. This is a guy they nearly took his own head of  by walking into a helicopter blade .  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..perhaps that is what he needs!!!

Somehow he needs to understand his career is on a knife-edge, he really doesn't. He has picked up recently, more aware of what is around him, it has taken a long time to get here, how much more longer will it take for him to become the player we all want him to be.

He is such an enigma, I would like to just be in his presence for a while to see what makes him tick.

Perhaps it is what he needs .... He certainly needs to understand he's not going to fulfil his potential at this rate.

I agree, he's an enigma, it would be fascinating to see what makes it tick ... The key to unlocking that potential is finding it - maybe he just doesn't know what makes him tick himself.

On 22/09/2020 at 06:41, frany104 said:

That’s a real run of game starting isn’t it. He’s never been given the same luxury as Perez. If Gray started 15 games in a row his confidence would soar and his stats would be far better than Perez’s. He always under pressure to perform well every game or he knows he’s dropped. The same can’t be said with others. I feel for him. He’s not the best winger in the league but he shouldn’t be getting slated on here.

He played half a year starting under Puel (long-renowned for his abilities with youth players), with his only competition being Ghezzal. That year, he was still fairly useless on the pitch. Under Rodgers he has probably seen an uptick in positive performances, but it's usually only off the bench and he fluffs his lines when given a chance to start. If he can't deal with the pressure of starting, then he'll never deal with the pressures of a football club with ambitions like ours.

If we did give Gray the chance to play 15 games in a row for us, our season would probably tank, because he is comfortably worse than Perez and now Under - even if Perez's end product on the right wing isn't great, at least he links up well with his teammates and gives everyone else some attacking structure to play around. 

Maybe he'll be able to revive his career elsewhere with a solid run of starts, but we have outgrown him as a club, sadly for him. Best for him to move onto a club like Crystal Palace where he can compete with Andy Townsend. 

On 21/09/2020 at 21:41, frany104 said:

That’s a real run of game starting isn’t it. He’s never been given the same luxury as Perez. If Gray started 15 games in a row his confidence would soar and his stats would be far better than Perez’s. He always under pressure to perform well every game or he knows he’s dropped. The same can’t be said with others. I feel for him. He’s not the best winger in the league but he shouldn’t be getting slated on here.

Since Mahrez left he basically started last season and the season before as 1st choice winger, he’s had plenty of chances. Similar chances to what Barnes has had but Barnes has backed up his selection with consistent performances so stays in the team

I think personally the main issue I have with Gray is his decision making and end product.

The countless times he has played the wrong type of pass/cross or gone for goal when there was a better option on I think is one of the reasons he doesn't start.

He has the ability that's not in question but he doesn't seem to have a 'football' brain which is why I think he gets limited game time.

He has had opportunities under different managers but never kicked on.

In the same time Barnes has been out on loan ripped up the championship and cemented himself in a top half prem team and is knocking on the door for an international callup.

As much as I'd like to see him come good I think he needs a new start.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

He ain't making the first team when they are fit, so not 100% sure why everyone is so keen to move him on.  Surely having him available for the Carabao Cup and as cover for injuries as European matches take hold makes sense.   

We have 4 other wingers now, and Gray is in the last year of his contract. He's barely going to play if we keep him, so it makes much more sense to cash in while we still can. If he's not sold, he'll leave on a free next summer and we'll have just wasted the fee we could get now.

You could look at it like this: Would you pay around £10m for a 4th/5th choice winger on a one year contract that can't be extended?

Gray has certainly not kicked-on as we would have liked and there is no doubt in my mind that he’ll be off at the end of his contract. However, he proved a useful asset off the bench last season and whilst he is enormously frustrating, he can make a difference in certain games. I’m hoping he can still contribute something this season before he departs.

1 hour ago, happy85 said:

Bourne thinks hamza wants a move away as well 

I can understand that. Sad - but I wouldn’t blame him. If he is going to ever be a starter he needs a position and a role that fits a system we play. Right now he’s brought on to sure up a defensive midfield for 20 mins if we are winning by a margin.