Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

21 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Albrighton v Gray is the classic case of one player making the most of limited ability and another wasting his talent. We've waited and waited for Gray to come good and it hasn't happened. Various managers have come in and it's looked like Gray will be  phased in and Albrighton phased out. All have reverted back to Albrighton eventually. 

If we get Under then Gray slips a further place down the pecking order. There comes a point when we just have to accept it's not going to happen here. I'm not totally convinced it'll happen anywhere. 

Added to this the fact that Gray always seemed to rate his ability higher than his performances demonstrated, his contract is running down with no sign of a new one and that we could do with getting peripheral players off the books - I'd take any sensible offer for him. 

Remember albrighton was released on a free by villa at 24. Sometimes it isnt as easy as working hard and it paying off, sometimes things just dont go right for you and you need a change of scenery to get back on your feet. I think Gray has a mental block for us when he starts matches, i wouldnt be surprised if his career path takes a similar route to albrighton's where a fresh start allows him to use his talent for 90 minutes rather than just off the bench.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm reading incorrectly between the lines here, but from Brendan's interview he's basically saying that it's in Gray's hands to earn a new contract or basically ride it out and off you go. If Gray is not happy with the enough 1st team chances, it's up to him to prove that he isn't just an impact sub.

The problem is, Gray has historically under all managers done well off the bench for a few games. Pushes his way into the squad sheet, then plays so utterly bobbins that you'd think it might be worth giving Diabate another go. 

The lad is Captain Inconsistent. On occasion he looks a world-beater, he even looked at some stage to get over his tendency to come on as a sub, and try to win the game on his own, but neglect to realise he should have passed to his open team mate that swing his foot and sky the ball wide or get dispossessed on or near the byline. Hence in the last year his stats for his sub appearances have vastly improved, yet are not steady enough to earn the place he probably thinks he deserves.

As we're all probably aware his development trajectory hasn't excelled since he's come to us years ago. He could argue that he needs games to do that, but when he's had those opportunities he's squandered them, and a purple patch as sub over last season doesn't change things for our current management otherwise he'd have a contract on the table. (Who knows maybe he does and he won't sign it cos he wants 1st team). My issue with the lad is maturity, at times he tries too hard, and his head goes, he puts on blinders and can't see the simple pass, the better option and wants to be the hero, and completely fluffs the chance for the team, I don't believe, despite last year, that'll change significantly.

As there are no current transfer links for him, he'll likely leave on a free, and he may well find a team that suits him and he gets the playing time he wants. He'll reach Schlupp levels of improvement. No hate on the lad, just disappointment he didn't fulfil the glimpses of promise he has shown.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Remember albrighton was released on a free by villa at 24. Sometimes it isnt as easy as working hard and it paying off, sometimes things just dont go right for you and you need a change of scenery to get back on your feet. I think Gray has a mental block for us when he starts matches, i wouldnt be surprised if his career path takes a similar route to albrighton's where a fresh start allows him to use his talent for 90 minutes rather than just off the bench.

Yes I agree with this and I think that people worry that we'll let him go and he'll suddenly look great elsewhere. This could happen.

I just think that we've got to the point where we shouldn't be afraid of that anymore. It's not working for us and we should concentrate on others and he should look at resurrecting his career elsewhere - if the opportunity arises. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Farley said:

Isn’t Cantwell a more central player? 

Yes, I don't think we need Ünder and another out and out winger if Gray goes this season. Cantwell would challenge Maddison for the advanced midfielder role or could play instead of Barnes if injured or out of form. He played in that inverted LW role for Norwich.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, I don't think we need Ünder and another out and out winger if Gray goes this season. Cantwell would challenge Maddison for the advanced midfielder role or could play instead of Barnes if injured or out of form. He played in that inverted LW role for Norwich.

I'm really surprised no-body has gone for Cantwell or Buendia yet? I think Cantwell would fit in well with the team and a little healthy competition never hurt anybody!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

His output from the bench last season was a bigger improvement than previous years but bar West Ham away I cannot think of a game he started last season where he offered anything. We ought to cash in as I don't see why he will sign a new deal here and be 4/5th choice.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His output from the bench last season was a bigger improvement than previous years but bar West Ham away I cannot think of a game he started last season where he offered anything. We ought to cash in as I don't see why he will sign a new deal here and be 4/5th choice.

Exactly this. We can replace with someone of similar potential quite easily I'd say and hope that they develop better 

Albrighton, Ünder, Perez and Barnes for three cups and one league campaign might just be enough, though one is played out of position, one is a safe option and one is an unknown. Gray’s goals did win us points last season from the bench so it’s hardly a no-brainer to sell.

But after an exhausting season, and in the quarter final of Europa, with fifteen minutes to play, a goal down, I would be happy to see Gray warming up on the bench.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Didnt he only start 3 pl games? Outside of that he was good when he started in the league cup and terrible in the FA cup but if youre talking about the league then 1 good start (west ham), 1 bad start (man u) and one average start (brighton) isnt that bad.

14 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Lol so if under gets injured people think albrighton, Perez who isn’t a winger and Barnes is enough. We need another winger 200%

then we need a CB 1000% lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Lol so if under gets injured people think albrighton, Perez who isn’t a winger and Barnes is enough. We need another winger 200%

It would be good, but I don't think it's that urgent. A centre-half is by far top priority. After that, I think maybe another CB or a creative no.8.

43 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Agreed. If gray goes we need someone else. Like Cantwell, buendia etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Didnt he only start 3 pl games? Outside of that he was good when he started in the league cup and terrible in the FA cup but if youre talking about the league then 1 good start (west ham), 1 bad start (man u) and one average start (brighton) isnt that bad.

True, it just felt like every time he had a decent cameo and got a start in the league and Cup thst he blew it. It's not easy to take the few opportunities you get and his game is perhaps suited to tiring defences but either way he has never really made either wing position his own. 

• Like 2