Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

We can only beat the teams we're drawn against. How many fans look back at eventual champions and suggest the team was lucky to get to the final?

Assuming we qualify this season then we'll just have to play our best against whichever teams we face, and hope we don't concede any dodgy penalties this time! (Basically we'd be lucky to avoid Athletico Madrid!!!)

Back to the PL

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-man-utd-rodgers-warning-23992687

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers fires warning to Manchester United
Leicester have now recovered 19 points from losing positions after coming back to beat Crystal Palace - and only Manchester United (28) have retrieved more

ByJames Nursey
09:31, 29 APR 2021UPDATED09:32, 29 APR 2021

Brendan Rodgers has urged his Foxes to hunt down second-placed Manchester United in the Premier League.

Rodgers' men showed patience and composure to come from behind to beat Crystal Palace 2-1.

Kelechi Iheanacho's late winner means the Foxes have now retrieved 19 points from losing positions this term – the second most in the Premier League behind United.

Last term City missed out on the top four on the final day as they won just two of their remaining nine League games and lost to United in their last game.

But the third-placed club have already matched last season's haul of 62 points after successive home wins.

And they have a real chance to sock it to the big boys when they face Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs in their last three Premier League games after taking on Southampton next this Friday and then Newcastle.

Brendan Rodgers has his eyes on overhauling second-placed Manchester United (Image: Pool via REUTERS)
Boss Rodgers , whose side are five points behind United, insists he is looking up , not down.

Rodgers said: “I always look forward, never behind.

“I always try to catch who is infront of us if we can.

“There is five games to go and we have equalled our points total from last season.

“I think it is clear the team has developed and matured this season.”

Kasper Schmeichel insists Leicester have the mentality to avoid another collapse in a tricky run in after their latest comeback.

Keeper Schmeichel,34, said: “Palace are a difficult side, we always have problems playing against them.

“If they get their noses infront we know it is going to be a difficult game.

“It was just a case of staying calm, playing the way we know we can play.

“We made sure we stayed in the game and we know we are going to create chances with the front players we have.

“We stayed calm and played our game – that was the message.

“Next game is Southampton so we are not going to get ahead of ourselves.

“We have a tough run-in, it is just a case of carrying on as we have been.”

39 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

Remember when Buffon said he wouldn't want to play us? 

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but if we're the 4th seeded team in a group then I think that will be the group to avoid in a lot of teams eyes. 

I still think it's a bit early to presume we'll even be in any pots, but if we are this is pretty much how I think the rest of the participants would be looking at us.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AjcW said:

Yep, exactly the opposite of last time. I think some people forget how lucky we were with the group last time round. Then getting Sevilla in the first knockout. 

I worry about that effect having to play Barcelona and (potentially given their league performance) Juventus twice could have on us... we’re good but are we ready for that? 

Obviously we might (probably) go out but this would be a great. Especially if we are allowed full houses again. There is a chance we go out early anyway so might as well have some fun lol 

Just had a quick hypothetical glance and there is a chance I think that Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd are all top seeds with Atletico, Inter, Bayern, PSG and I'm not sure if its the Russian or Portuguese league that would get the last spot. Pot 2 likely to have in it Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus in it but potentially no Liverpool, Dortmund in the competition at all means there will be some pot 2 teams I'd fancy us giving a decent game to. 

I would love to get a little lucky in the group draw and maybe land somewhere we could finish second.  The ride still probably ends in the 16s and I get the desire to play one of the glamour clubs, but I'd still like to progress out of the group stages if it's remotely possible.  There's no draw which could make us likely to win a group, but with a little luck 2nd might be achievable. 

35 minutes ago, davieG said:

Back to the PL

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-man-utd-rodgers-warning-23992687

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers fires warning to Manchester United
Leicester have now recovered 19 points from losing positions after coming back to beat Crystal Palace - and only Manchester United (28) have retrieved more

ByJames Nursey
09:31, 29 APR 2021UPDATED09:32, 29 APR 2021

Brendan Rodgers has urged his Foxes to hunt down second-placed Manchester United in the Premier League.

Rodgers' men showed patience and composure to come from behind to beat Crystal Palace 2-1.

Kelechi Iheanacho's late winner means the Foxes have now retrieved 19 points from losing positions this term – the second most in the Premier League behind United.

Last term City missed out on the top four on the final day as they won just two of their remaining nine League games and lost to United in their last game.

But the third-placed club have already matched last season's haul of 62 points after successive home wins.

And they have a real chance to sock it to the big boys when they face Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs in their last three Premier League games after taking on Southampton next this Friday and then Newcastle.

Brendan Rodgers has his eyes on overhauling second-placed Manchester United (Image: Pool via REUTERS)
Boss Rodgers , whose side are five points behind United, insists he is looking up , not down.

Rodgers said: “I always look forward, never behind.

“I always try to catch who is infront of us if we can.

“There is five games to go and we have equalled our points total from last season.

“I think it is clear the team has developed and matured this season.”

Kasper Schmeichel insists Leicester have the mentality to avoid another collapse in a tricky run in after their latest comeback.

Keeper Schmeichel,34, said: “Palace are a difficult side, we always have problems playing against them.

“If they get their noses infront we know it is going to be a difficult game.

“It was just a case of staying calm, playing the way we know we can play.

“We made sure we stayed in the game and we know we are going to create chances with the front players we have.

“We stayed calm and played our game – that was the message.

“Next game is Southampton so we are not going to get ahead of ourselves.

“We have a tough run-in, it is just a case of carrying on as we have been.”

You love to see it! Where was this guy last season!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I would love to get a little lucky in the group draw and maybe land somewhere we could finish second.  The ride still probably ends in the 16s and I get the desire to play one of the glamour clubs, but I'd still like to progress out of the group stages if it's remotely possible.  There's no draw which could make us likely to win a group, but with a little luck 2nd might be achievable. 

How can you say this without knowing who has qualified for the Champions League, let alone what group they might be in?

And also what summer business any club has done? 

Let’s concentrate on qualifying ourselves first before we get ahead of ourselves, then we can look at who is in pot 1, 2, 3 and 4

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm always a bit baffled by how quickly people buy in to this notion that foreign champions league teams, even the biggest clubs, are these invincible machines we aren't ready for. 

Historically, I never bought the motion that the Premier League was the best league in the world, largely because it wasn't. But it is now. Teams in this country are vastly wealthier than those in any other league abroad, the Prem has become extremely competitive and cash rich. 

At the same time, all over Europe, former giants are in decline. Real and Barca are a mess, Juve are bang average, Milan are a shadow of their former selves. 

There is almost nobody in Europe we can face who we can't beat, even games that are tough would be winnable. We won away at Man City this year, we just shagged United in the cup, we beat Liverpool a few weeks ago, we don't struggle against the "big" teams. We've blended Rodgers preferred style of play with our traditional penchant for counter attacking pretty well over the last year and it makes a formula that should have us be pretty potent in the CL. 

Obviously a group with PSG or Bayern would be immensely daunting but besides those two, there aren't that many sides on the continent at the moment that I'd be overawed by us playing. 

Yeah i've worded it completely wrong on reflection, I'm excited about the prospect of being drawn with those teams, that's the whole idea of being in this. At the end of the day we were a slice of luck away from a Champions League semi final with a team that's nowhere near the quality of what we have now.

But I think it's okay to worry that if we ended on the wrong end of a 5-0 (which can happen to anyone) that it could really knock on into league form too. 

Either way, excited to see what we come up against if we get there, it's probably as good a time as any as a lot of those 'powerhouses' are looking rather fragile at the present moment. 

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lingard is a doubt for WHU at the weekend, along with Rice, Antonio, Cresswell and Masuaku. Hopefully Burnley can get something out of the game and that'll almost be the end of WHUs top 4 charge.

It is liverpool who i worry about lol

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

There is, we could get the Russian champions from Pot 1 and maybe the Portuguese runners up in Pot 2 who always have a high coefficient but never trouble the business end of the CL.

Just looking at this season's CL and if we were put randomly in Pot 4 our best and worst draw could be:

Bayern,  Barcelona, Inter & Leicester

or

Zenit, Donetsk, Saltsburg, Leicester

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AjcW said:

But I think it's okay to worry that if we ended on the wrong end of a 5-0 (which can happen to anyone) that it could really knock on into league form too. 

Tbf I'd argue its probably much worse for form and confidence to be spanked by Fulham, West Ham twice or Leeds by pretty embarrassing scores than to be outclassed by some European giant in a midweek Cup game. 

Obviously you want to be competitive and there’s the are we ready it are we not but there’s only one way to see and that’s playing them and us as fans enjoying it thinking where we have came from. Champions league nights looked like a never when we were rotten in the championship and worse not all that long ago.

16 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

I would love to see Leicester in a group with Juve, Barca and Dortmund in it. 

Atmosphere at KP would be insane and I reckon we'd show them what's what. 

I’d bring Musa back for the Barca game...👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For some reason I find it amusing that most online schedules still show us playing Chelsea twice on 15 May.  League match at 1500 then FA Cup at 1715.

Chelsea probably gets the advantage in that scenario due to greater squad depth.  :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

For some reason I find it amusing that most online schedules still show us playing Chelsea twice on 15 May.  League match at 1500 then FA Cup at 1715.

Chelsea probably gets the advantage in that scenario due to greater squad depth.  :ph34r:

The PL game has not been officially moved yet but I guess they could put some TBC's in.

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

How can you say this without knowing who has qualified for the Champions League, let alone what group they might be in?

And also what summer business any club has done? 

Let’s concentrate on qualifying ourselves first before we get ahead of ourselves, then we can look at who is in pot 1, 2, 3 and 4

It’s simple math.  Given the pot we’ll be in and who’ll be in the other pots, there’s no possible draw that would make us a favorite to win a group.  Not everything has to be brain surgery - it’s quite straightforward.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I wasn't and then I was, then I wasn't again and now I'm also concerned should they somehow beat Man Utd on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Royston. said:

If Liverpool catch us we will have to be dreadful in the remaining games and therefore wouldn't deserve top 4 anyway.

But we could beat southampton and newcastle, draw to spurs and chelsea, lose to man united which wouldnt be poor form at all and if liverpool beat man u, burnley, palace, southampton and west brom they will finish above us (i think) lol probably just over thinking 

10 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

But we could beat southampton and newcastle, draw to spurs and chelsea, lose to man united which wouldnt be poor form at all and if liverpool beat man u, burnley, palace, southampton and west brom they will finish above us (i think) lol probably just over thinking 

If that happens I'd be surprised if Chelsea or West Ham had got 68 points as well. If we get to 68/69 we should be OK. It would be beggars belief for 2 other teams to go near perfect