Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

24 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I’ve just noticed the “latest round” of fixtures only covers 1 weekend’s games, are they going to be doing the games per game week now instead 

There's a lot of disagreement on whether all games should continue to be show live in the UK. They reluctantly agreed to September and were still 'reviewing' October so my suspicion is they are still arguing about it and have had no choice but to announce this game week while they are still coming to a decision on the rest.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

There's a lot of disagreement on whether all games should continue to be show live in the UK. They reluctantly agreed to September and were still 'reviewing' October so my suspicion is they are still arguing about it and have had no choice but to announce this game week while they are still coming to a decision on the rest.

Media saying the PL are about to admit defeat on that though. Given the pressure to ‘share the wealth’, putting the games on TV is the very least expected of them 

6 hours ago, twister said:

I am going to say this now

wolves take the piss out of the home grown rules legally of course.

either they get rid of it, or they adjust it. Because it isn't working as it was intended now.

We are nowhere in trouble with homegrown quotas. You are allowed 17 players to be "foreign" and over the age of 21 in your squad. Our first team squad isn't huge and we have plenty of U21 players in and around it. We don't even have 17 true "first team" players over 21.

6 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Wolves have signed Semedo for £37m.

Covid seems to be affecting the spending of some clubs more than others 

It's £27.5m. The final £9.5m is in options.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Wolves only signing him on a 3 year deal for that price is bizarre. Personally don't think he is actually thst good, very much like Cancelo. They may have been or are at big clubs but they haven't impressed. Ricardo is twice the player of both of them. I'd be surprised if Semedo scores and assists as many as Doherty who was very underrated in that Wolves set up. Wolves need Telles too, do not rate that old Brazilian they signed recently.

It's essentially a 5 year deal. The final 2 years are an option in our favour.

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Semedo has 2 goals and 7 assists in 5185 minutes of La Liga football. Playing for Barcelona.

Doherty has 8 goals and 11 assists in 6197 minutes of Premier League football. Playing for Wolves.

Mendes has that club by the bollocks. Bet he's made a good 10m out of those two transfers.

He played in a system that exposed him badly at Barcelona. No defensive cover behind and no true winger in front of him to link with. He basically had to do all the attacking and all the defending down that right wing by himself. As a pure attacking wing-back with a system that provides lots of cover behind, he'll do very well at Wolves and I'm confident he'll turn his doubters now he's in a more suitable system. He's rapid, skillful and has an eye for a pass. Everything we want from a RWB and everything Doherty wasn't. Doc's attacking output was good, no denying that, but he was only any good in the final third. Behind that he was cumbersome, often lazy, and a poor defender with little skill on the ball. Spurs fans are already turning on him and doubting him long term (a recent Twitter poll had them picking Aurier for their next game by a big margin). Upgrading him for £12m to a potentially world class RB is fantastic business IMO.

And yes, Mendes and Fosun/Wolves are in bed together, Nuno is his mate, and he has a soft spot for us now (apparently). He doesn't do anything we don't want him to and vice versa. Certain deals will be structured with future and past deals in mind, but long term we both win big. We've essentially gamed the system and got the jump on other clubs as a transfer solution. None of that breaks any rules. If the authorities change the rules about agents interests in a club, then Fosun will take their money out of Gestifute and he'll stop being Nuno's agent. He'll just be like any other agent and likely they'll get him his piece of the pie through other channels/transfer deals.

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

I’ve just noticed the “latest round” of fixtures only covers 1 weekend’s games, are they going to be doing the games per game week now instead 

They've agreed to that weekend and are going to review what happens after the international break (why are we having another fcking pointless international break when we've just started the season :mad:).

Anyway, presumably they'd hoped and planned for fans returning in Oct and now need to sort out a new plan given it's unlikely anyone's going to be in a stadium this year.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

We are nowhere in trouble with homegrown quotas. You are allowed 17 players to be "foreign" and over the age of 21 in your squad. Our first team squad isn't huge and we have plenty of U21 players in and around it. We don't even have 17 true "first team" players over 21.

It's £27.5m. The final £9.5m is in options.

It's essentially a 5 year deal. The final 2 years are an option in our favour.

He played in a system that exposed him badly at Barcelona. No defensive cover behind and no true winger in front of him to link with. He basically had to do all the attacking and all the defending down that right wing by himself. As a pure attacking wing-back with a system that provides lots of cover behind, he'll do very well at Wolves and I'm confident he'll turn his doubters now he's in a more suitable system. He's rapid, skillful and has an eye for a pass. Everything we want from a RWB and everything Doherty wasn't. Doc's attacking output was good, no denying that, but he was only any good in the final third. Behind that he was cumbersome, often lazy, and a poor defender with little skill on the ball. Spurs fans are already turning on him and doubting him long term (a recent Twitter poll had them picking Aurier for their next game by a big margin). Upgrading him for £12m to a potentially world class RB is fantastic business IMO.

And yes, Mendes and Fosun/Wolves are in bed together, Nuno is his mate, and he has a soft spot for us now (apparently). He doesn't do anything we don't want him to and vice versa. Certain deals will be structured with future and past deals in mind, but long term we both win big. We've essentially gamed the system and got the jump on other clubs as a transfer solution. None of that breaks any rules. If the authorities change the rules about agents interests in a club, then Fosun will take their money out of Gestifute and he'll stop being Nuno's agent. He'll just be like any other agent and likely they'll get him his piece of the pie through other channels/transfer deals.

Your not in trouble but i don't like the way its used at present.

my view is the rule should be that every team has to have 8 english home grown players in the 25. otherwise there is no point having it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I really hope Barca don’t have an eye on Ricardo now Semedo has gone to Wolves (good signing for you guys @The Bear, don’t think he’s particularly great defensively but should replace the attacking threat on that Doherty offered on that side plus more; allows Traore to play further forward too)

Think they’ll use the funds in their pursuit of Aarons, but if Norwich hold their stance, could mean they make a move for Ricky later down the line. 

They are selling in order to afford new players, but I doubt they'd spend a huge chunk of it on Pereira, when they've just sold Semedo to allow Sergi Roberto to be the regular first choice. They are after a younger player in Dest who will be happier to be in a supporting role. 

6 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Some US sports investors in talks to buy Burnley. Sean's head will explode if he gets some pound notes to spend.

Burnley might evolve into the 21st century and Sean Dyche gets binned off to Millwall who only get 2 televised games a season, so we don't have to see him or his football ever again. Win-win for the whole world 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d actually say it couldn’t be further from the NFL. 

Salary caps, drafts, consistent kick off times with minimal games in alternative slots (but still traditionally)

Yeah in that sense of course, I was more meaning with the fixtures spread through the week and the death of the traditional Saturday 3pm fixture slot.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah in that sense of course, I was more meaning with the fixtures spread through the week and the death of the traditional Saturday 3pm fixture slot.

Nearly all of the NFL games are played on a Sunday afternoon - exceptions being 3 games. NFL have retained the tradition unlikely the PL. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Some US sports investors in talks to buy Burnley. Sean's head will explode if he gets some pound notes to spend.

Haha he won't know what to do, he won't have the excuse of "no money" to protect him. Now he'll actually have to build a football team not a rugby league side. 

On 23/09/2020 at 22:36, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The NFL-isation of the English Premier League begins/continues.

On 24/09/2020 at 09:24, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah I don’t think you know what you’re on about here. 

• Like 2