Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

39 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I didn't see Pearson ever go after someone like Klopp did Choudhury. It's the hypocrisy of it.

Yeah absolutely, for what it's worth I think Pearson is a classier guy. Klopp says and does loads of things that annoy me, I'm not actually trying to state his case to foxestalk as a lovely man. I just think people take it a bit too far trying to demonise him as some sort of monster just because he's got an impressive angry face and gets a bit heated. 

• Like 1

All top managers have a bit of needle and shithouse in them. That's probably part of why they've made it so far. 

Even nice guy Woy can lose his rag. 

And also classy/humble Nuno, giving it large in an Octagenarian Bristol City legend's face after being sent to the stands next to the VIPs, when Ryan Bennett scored a late winner at Ashton Gate. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

All top managers have a bit of needle and shithouse in them. That's probably part of why they've made it so far. 

Even nice guy Woy can lose his rag. 

And also classy/humble Nuno, giving it large in an Octagenarian Bristol City legend's face after being sent to the stands next to the VIPs, when Ryan Bennett scored a late winner at Ashton Gate. 

what a goal, what a player.

19 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Man City spending £60m+ on a centre half. No doubt he’ll be dropping clangers and being called the Portuguese Phil Jones in 6 months. 

Pep will employ his as some kind of false 5 that actually plays ball winning winger and it won't work out. 

The problem isn't the players, it's the lack of direction for defensive minded players. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

has pep ever signed a good defender>?

1. Laporte is fantastic. As is Dias, he'll become one of the best defenders in the league. It's a great signing. 

2. I know I pick some weird hills to die on but people really need to quit with this shit. I know it's not helped by the media propagating the myth but Pep is a coach, he coaches players. He tells the board roughly what he wants and they go and sign it. 

He doesn't scout players, he doesn't pick players, he doesn't sign players. Neither does Klopp, Ancelotti, Rodgers, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho, Ole or anyone else. 

Pep will have a seat at the table alongside Begiristain, Cancellieri, all their respect staff, Al Mubarak and Co and he'll get to give an opinion and state some preferences but the idea that he picks all the players they sign and should be held accountable for them is daft. 

Same for every manager in the league. Even heads of recruitment like Walsh, Macia, Congerton at out club won't have complete ownership of transfers. It's a group process. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The problem isn't the players, it's the lack of direction for defensive minded players. 

This Twitter thread dissects the lack of defensive organization and puts it down to poor coaching.  Hard to argue.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

1. Laporte is fantastic. As is Dias, he'll become one of the best defenders in the league. It's a great signing. 

2. I know I pick some weird hills to die on but people really need to quit with this shit. I know it's not helped by the media propagating the myth but Pep is a coach, he coaches players. He tells the board roughly what he wants and they go and sign it. 

He doesn't scout players, he doesn't pick players, he doesn't sign players. Neither does Klopp, Ancelotti, Rodgers, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho, Ole or anyone else. 

Pep will have a seat at the table alongside Begiristain, Cancellieri, all their respect staff, Al Mubarak and Co and he'll get to give an opinion and state some preferences but the idea that he picks all the players they sign and should be held accountable for them is daft. 

Same for every manager in the league. Even heads of recruitment like Walsh, Macia, Congerton at out club won't have complete ownership of transfers. It's a group process. 

Whilst you are correct in most of what you’re saying Pep would still be telling those in the group the type of player he wants, and for me too often he is looking for defenders who are comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass, rather than a defender who can actually defend. Exhibit A John Stones, very comfortable on the ball, can pick a pass.

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

Is that Rodri (#16) about to be taken out of the game by a simple through ball from a team 'that didn't play'?

Is that the mighty, tiki taka, expansive Manchester City who play football 'in the right way' with 8 men behind the ball in the defensive third of the pitch? Yet 7 of them get taken out by one pass and then the keeper gets 'Cruyff dinked'?

Well I bloody never.

It is but we were lucky :whistle:

I have to say I've seen a lot of comments from Man City fans who have cringed at the statements from Rodri and Pep, calling them embarrassing and confirming the obvious that scoring 5 isn't lucky. 

• Like 1