Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It doesn’t matter that it’s a foul in your opinion (or even the ref if he looked at it again) 

the ref didn’t give it 

so unless he has made a huge mistake not to give it then the on field decision stays as it is 

100/100 people have to think that it’s a pen for it to be a clear and obvious error 

It wasn’t one of those 

VAR is not supposed to ‘re referee ‘ the game 

it’s there to correct clear errors re pens/goals and to judge if a goal is valid or if a sending off should/shouldn’t happen 

Don’t disagree with anything you said. I’m just saying once they identify that play and start looking at it, there was only going to be one outcome. 

I really think a challenge system is the way to go. It would solve a lot of the biggest current problems with VAR

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
12 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

ole has a knack for keeping himself in a job. i don't think it's very good for utd tbh. 

Good for the rest of the league, hopefully more comical results like the 1-6 v Spurs to come lol

VVD might be out for the rest of the season. That may mean they will give Pickford a retrospective ban. The VAR admitted he didn't look at Pickford's challenge, so it would be within the PGMOL rules for a retrospective ban.

Personally I think it is about time goalkeepers were no longer allowed to assault other players. I am old enough to remember Harald Schumacher on Battiston in the 1982 WC semi final - you'd think that would have been a watershed moment. But no. As we know from Ederson on Iheanacho. What's it going to take before this is dealt with?

• Like 3

Goodness me, a couple of decisions go against them and the world has ended. 

The big clubs having controversial, crucial calls not in their favour and the ensuing meltdown is thoroughly enjoyable. Especially in a week where they believe they should run the game.

Plenty of stuff on social media of Liverpool fans "classily" wishing injury on opponents in the past and singing about broken legs. Quelle surprise.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

Good for the rest of the league, hopefully more comical results like the 1-6 v Spurs to come lol

i think it's hilarious. it's like he'll never get sacked but still give them a tiny glimmer of hope. he needs to be sacked, similar with southgate at england. 2 managers way out of their depth 

23 minutes ago, Corky said:

Goodness me, a couple of decisions go against them and the world has ended. 

The big clubs having controversial, crucial calls not in their favour and the ensuing meltdown is thoroughly enjoyable. Especially in a week where they believe they should run the game.

Plenty of stuff on social media of Liverpool fans "classily" wishing injury on opponents in the past and singing about broken legs. Quelle surprise.

Sometimes it takes shit decisions going against one of the Big Clubs to change the shit show we currently have. I won't weep if the use of VAR gets binned.

40 minutes ago, trabuch said:

VVD might be out for the rest of the season. That may mean they will give Pickford a retrospective ban. The VAR admitted he didn't look at Pickford's challenge, so it would be within the PGMOL rules for a retrospective ban.

Personally I think it is about time goalkeepers were no longer allowed to assault other players. I am old enough to remember Harald Schumacher on Battiston in the 1982 WC semi final - you'd think that would have been a watershed moment. But no. As we know from Ederson on Iheanacho. What's it going to take before this is dealt with?

The only way there is any punishment is if the report states it wasn't looked at. It's been suggested thats then case but we'll never properly know what happened. State of the injury means nothing also, look at Gomes last season. Aurier caused that injury and got nothing

8 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Sometimes it takes shit decisions going against one of the Big Clubs to change the shit show we currently have. I won't weep if the use of VAR gets binned.

VAR isn't the issue, the people using it are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Given their appalling behaviour this week in trying to rip off the Premier League, hopefully they'll be told to **** off.

Will they ask why Robertson wasn't sent off for his challenge on Allan?

I feel sorry for Van Dijk but what a bunch of self entitled cvnts.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

The only way there is any punishment is if the report states it wasn't looked at. It's been suggested thats then case but we'll never properly know what happened. State of the injury means nothing also, look at Gomes last season. Aurier caused that injury and got nothing

VAR isn't the issue, the people using it are.

ie the Video Assistant Referee.

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The person using the VAR tech is the issue. Not the tech itself.

Although (I couldn't let it lie) where offside is concerned the tech is a bit blurry - not as precise as people think it is  - and the VAR doesn't seem capable of taking this into account.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

The person using the VAR tech is the issue. Not the tech itself.

I don’t get why people keep saying this - they are the same thing!

That’s like saying don’t blame the referee blame the person who is in the role of referee today.

We all know VAR is just a referee with video assistance, hence its name! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I don’t get why people keep saying this - they are the same thing!

That’s like saying don’t blame the referee blame the person who is in the role of referee today.

We all know VAR is just a referee with video assistance, hence its name! 

It's 1.38am in the UK. 

I suspect this post will make as much sense when I wake up. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

The Athletic ran a piece a week ago about PL refs going to the pitch-side monitor when prompted by VAR.

In 100% of cases, the ref has overturned his original call.  The play has been looked at from every angle, in stop-action, and the call has effectively been made for him.  He's not going to open himself to more criticism, he is going to defer to VAR and shift the responsibility.

The point: the monitor is only a formality.  Those of us who thought its use would return some balance and control to the ref were deluding ourselves.

Not only that, the VAR only show what he wants to show to the ref rather than all the angles and in full speed that would be available.