Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

53 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Bollocks I knew I should have waited a few weeks before praising Moyes. I got laughed at a few pages back lol 

He’s always been a good manager, worth remembering he’s not the only one to have failed at United! 

West Ham recruitment the last two seasons especially has been spot on. 

Soucek is just a superb talent, love watching him, his goal scoring record for a DM at his last club was outrageous and he’s doing good numbers here too. They then looked at the success of his transfer and went back to the same team for Coufal who also looks excellent. 

Soucek and Coufal, while not extravagant, are both really solid signings. Coufal reminds me of Zabaletta and Soucek is just a beast in the air; Moyes's new Fellaini. They definitely have that similar feel to his Everton team which was full of hard working players that were well drilled with a sprinkling of attacking flair.

Moyes has made some really smart additions, Bowen and Soucek have both been revelations for them. Antonio's form has also been a huge bonus.

If Moyes had the same links to United Ole has, he'd have been given significantly more time to make something there. 

Edited by UniFox21

9 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Bielsa being nominated for manager of the year is absolutely bonkers. They spent shit loads the season before and winning the championship not even by record points is not cause for an award. 

Makes a mockery of anyone else that has done well at a higher level. 

People praising Moyes, but I guarantee you if he was here you'd all want him out in a heartbeat. He's a mid table manager - he can do well with a budget but his style is very conservative and pragmatic. Considering what West Ham have spent net, even compared to us, they've invested a lot to be still playing that style of football and only achieving mid table finishes at best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They're discussing the Kane tactic of backing into a player mid-air, half of them have defended the move as "clever play". Pathetic to me, such a dangerous move and needs clamping down 

If it was a foreign, unflavoured striker like Costa they'd want him sent off every day of the week for it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

People praising Moyes, but I guarantee you if he was here you'd all want him out in a heartbeat. He's a mid table manager - he can do well with a budget but his style is very conservative and pragmatic. Considering what West Ham have spent net, even compared to us, they've invested a lot to be still playing that style of football and only achieving mid table finishes at best. 

I agree. Mid table manager at best who play unattractive football. He would be hounded out if he was here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kyleolly said:

I don’t get the Leeds and Bielsa love in every week by the end of this weekend they’ll probably be 15th hardly pulling up trees 

I've never understood it. Hes won the Argentine league and the championship yet people bang on like hes the best manager the world has ever seen. Hes just a very strange old man who sits on touchline drinking bovril

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They're discussing the Kane tactic of backing into a player mid-air, half of them have defended the move as "clever play". Pathetic to me, such a dangerous move and needs clamping down 

The media love in for Kane and Spurs makes it impossible to like him. Kane could end a players career with a horrific challenge and the media would still defend him. I absolutely cannot stand him to be honest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

FB_IMG_1607767417537.jpg.8da78fe74cdba05957f9626eda704923.jpg

Good idea tbf. Maybe not 4 feet but still. The more you look at it it's a bit unreasonable to expect keepers to keep a precise monitoring on something that's effectively behind their line of sight whilst also concentrating on the penalty being taken.

• Like 1

They can't stand behind the line either which then allows them to move forward. I used to play in goal as a youngster (even do a bit now in the kickabouts) and you need momentum when you're trying to make a save, you want to narrow angles and give less space to the opponent.

You can't reasonably expect a keeper to stand completely still and dive, they need some leeway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Leeds will stay up and Bielsa would've done his job. There was always going to be a lot of noise with Leeds returning and the commentators obviously need to continue the Bielsa hype.

They'll finish 13/14th.

Probably this. Its fun to dump on Leeds because their fans think they're gods gift but people are quick to overlook the fact they've got a very, very, very average squad. It screams Championship. Very few, if any, of their players would have gotten in that West Ham team last night. 

Yet they're making a go of it, playing entertaining football, making things interesting. 

Everyone moans at guys like Hodgson, Moyes, Pulis, Bruce, Dyche and Co stinking out the place with awful anti football. It seems a bit contradictory to then laugh and sneer and mock Bielsa for doing exactly the opposite and trying to entertain people. 

It's not his fault the press went way overboard hyping up Leeds expectations before the season started. 

• Like 2

They can't stand behind the line either which then allows them to move forward. I used to play in goal as a youngster (even do a bit now in the kickabouts) and you need momentum when you're trying to make a save, you want to narrow angles and give less space to the opponent.

You can't reasonably expect a keeper to stand completely still and dive, they need some leeway.

Especially as, as has been said a few times recently, players are coming up with new ways all the time to try and trick keepers and get even more advantage. As if it shouldn't be easy enough already to score a score a penalty, now they're jumping in the air. 

Leeds will stay up and Bielsa would've done his job. There was always going to be a lot of noise with Leeds returning and the commentators obviously need to continue the Bielsa hype.

They'll finish 13/14th.

Certain clubs that made a name for themselves 40/50/60 years ago will always be given increased coverage. If we think that the Leeds love in is bad just wait until Snotts F come back up (if ever). 

As a keeper I agree with you - yet how many saves have legally been made this season ?  It’s not impossible but if the taker strikes it cleanly and in the corner then it cannot be saved .......  the laws haven’t really been changed much - you were always supposed to keep one foot on the line .....it’s just the micro enforcement via VAR now .....

Considering it's so easy to get a penalty these days there needs to be something in the keepers favour. If someone is off his line by a lot then of course retake but ones like last night are just nit-picking and noone would even have looked twice at it. I can't think of a single reason why they're not allowed to stand behind the goal line? 

The stupid slow and stuttered run ups need looking at, wouldn't completely outrule it but it needs some rules. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Moyes has made some really smart additions, Bowen and Soucek have both been revelations for them. Antonio's form has also been a huge bonus.

If Moyes had the same links to United Ole has, he'd have been given significantly more time to make something there. 

People forget that he consistently took the Ev in to the top 6 (or around there). Look at the managers they’ve had since who haven’t been able to do that despite the money they’ve spent. His time at United properly killed him because football Twitter was just starting to become a thing and he was following the best manager to ever walk the Earth in this country. If you look at his win % in his time at United I still think it’s the highest of anyone that’s been there since inside a calendar year (not verified, can’t be arsed looking but he didn’t do as badly as it was painted). 

I personally thought he’d completely lost his head from his time there because he just couldn’t manage to get anything going at any of his other jobs after that, but he seems to have sorted West Ham right out. Good on him. 

He suffers the same as people like Heskey. Very good at doing what they need to do but because some weirdos thought it was funny to call him out on Twitter he’s fair game to just call shit without any justification really. 

Edited by Manini

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Certain clubs that made a name for themselves 40/50/60 years ago will always be given increased coverage. If we think that the Leeds love in is bad just wait until Snotts F come back up (if ever). 

Forest doesn't have anywhere near the appeal or fan base as Leeds have. 

34 minutes ago, shailen said:

Is he actually a mid table manager though? This is a guy who got Everton finishing 4th, 5th and 6th during his reign at Goodison.

His Everton team back then was very underrated, his current West Ham side could well be going in that type of direction.

West Ham’s problem over the years has been over spending on luxury players.

The few signings he has made since returning to West Ham, Soucek, Bowen and Coufal has been very astute business.

They deserve credit as to what they’ve produced so far this season, his game plan worked perfectly against us for example.