Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just had a horrible, horrible thought. 

If things get worse for Arsenal and they end up in a genuine relegation battle, they seriously could end up turning to Pearson. 

And I just couldn’t cope with that as I’d actually have to start liking Arsenal and there is no way I’m putting that on my 2021 Bingo Card. I’m not having it. 

No way in a million years NP would get the Arsenal job. Arsenal ego wouldn’t allow it for starters 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

They'll go for Benitez, surely? Managed huge clubs in the past, still more than capable and proved at Chelsea (and almost at Newcastle before he stuck around for their Nationwide campaign) that he can do a reasonable job with underperforming sides on an interim basis.

He'll obviously be on a big wedge in China but I dare say they dangled the carrot of a relatively easy get-out to him to attract him in the first place given his stock was high after Newcastle. 

I don't think football would be pretty and Arsenal's issues are more deep-rooted than a change of manager will sort, but he'd get more of a tune from their squad than Arteta is.

I'm not sure it's who i'd want if I was an Arsenal fan. As you've said they have deep-rooted issues and I think Rafa would paper over the cracks.

I think he would steady the ship and have them back in the top 8 or so but he isn't the sort of manager that has a great transfer record and I think his football would ultimately turn a lot of Arsenal fans off in the same way Arteta has.

I honestly hope it doesn't happen but if I was an Arsenal fan i'd be wanting them to pay the Brendan release clause. He's young, British, plays an extremely watchable brand of football, gets success from youth players, has a good record in the transfer window and players like to play for him.

Given the room to spend a bit of money and to shift some deadwood he would have them back in the top 4 within 3 seasons. I don't think there are many alternatives that would achieve that. I think Nagelsmann at Leipzig is a similar manager but I don't think he would drop from the position he's in to Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'm not sure it's who i'd want if I was an Arsenal fan. As you've said they have deep-rooted issues and I think Rafa would paper over the cracks.

I think he would steady the ship and have them back in the top 8 or so but he isn't the sort of manager that has a great transfer record and I think his football would ultimately turn a lot of Arsenal fans off in the same way Arteta has.

I honestly hope it doesn't happen but if I was an Arsenal fan i'd be wanting them to pay the Brendan release clause. He's young, British, plays an extremely watchable brand of football, gets success from youth players, has a good record in the transfer window and players like to play for him.

Given the room to spend a bit of money and to shift some deadwood he would have them back in the top 4 within 3 seasons. I don't think there are many alternatives that would achieve that. I think Nagelsmann at Leipzig is a similar manager but I don't think he would drop from the position he's in to Arsenal.

I agree mate, I don't think it's the right appointment but it's one I'd put money on them making.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Personally, I’ve found Arsenal

fan tv tedious for about 5 years now. A bunch of freaks getting perfomatively angry isn’t a surprise anymore 

I've never really found it funny but the whole thing became too self-aware too quickly, I'm amazed it's still popular.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Personally, I’ve found Arsenal

fan tv tedious for about 5 years now. A bunch of freaks getting perfomatively angry isn’t a surprise anymore 

I don't watch their youtube videos and never have but always afford myself 2 minutes to have a look when AFTV is trending on twitter.

The bearded lad with the neck tattoos wants locking up. A genuine lunatic.

Edited by AKCJ

Arsenal fans have made it difficult for any new manager, though. Whatever they thought of Wenger, he delivered Champions League football for 20 years and was winning trophies in his last couple of seasons. Emery reached a European final. Arteta won the FA Cup. All three had fans turn on them within six months of their achievement.

Trophy winning managers have their heads called for. Delivering Champions League wasn't enough. Surely then it has to be the league title? Or maybe even latter stages of the Champions League?

Good luck with that. I appreciate that they are well below where they should be but maybe they overrated Arteta based on the Cup semi and final?

I do think the vitriol aimed at Wenger has backfired despite the concerns they had. It is a very difficult place to manage.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I've never really found it funny but the whole thing became too self-aware too quickly, I'm amazed it's still popular.

It was enjoyable at times during the title run when there was a little bit of positional rivalry between our teams but it's the sort of content that grows very old very quickly.  Yet somehow a few of us are still obsessed with them and keep posting their videos from matches that don't even involve us.  Why are a lower mid-table team living rent free in our fans' heads?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

is that negative ??

No just used the wrong lead in to it!

I hate playing Burnley. 1 win in the last 8 games and they always shithouse their way to results against us. Ashley Barnes starting to do his usual diving/moaning performance against us. 

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

No just used the wrong lead in to it!

I hate playing Burnley. 1 win in the last 8 games and they always shithouse their way to results against us. Ashley Barnes starting to do his usual diving/moaning performance against us. 

I think most fans dislike playing Burnley. Negative football. I mean who would play good money to watch Burnley play West Brom

Did Andy Hinchcliffe really just say there's nobody better than Podence for trying catch a team on break? I mean Podence is a good player, but nobody better lol

Also when Podence had that shot a few minutes ago, why is he playing on, having the shot, and then claiming his mate was fouled. You had the ball, you had the shot, you can't have a free kick too.

Edited by Facecloth

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Think he was talking about Wolves. 

No he was definitely on about Podence, even said he name a couple of times during that bit. I'm 99% sure he said the words "No better player".

Edited by Facecloth