Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

7 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’d hate to play Leeds style. It’s great for the neutral because they’re so gung-ho but it’s stupidity on their part. It’s so disorganised and amateurish. 

They are getting lots of plaudits for being pretty average in my view, bielsa is tactically naive and they have taken some heavy beatings but still get praise. Bizarre 

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

Said to my Leeds supporting mate it’s stupid football and they will concede the most in the league. Well on course at the moment.

I checked ... one goal more than West Brom.  But the Baggies have edged ahead by 0.06 xG allowed.  Exciting times :dry:

1624486680_GAxGA.JPG.43966ae6de23b2d8000f21d631776e8d.JPG

Guess which clubs' keepers rank #1 and #2 in saves?

I don't get how the Bielsa genius narrative survives.  The way he sets up against sides with more speed and quality ... it's like a madam taking the front door off the bordello and firing the bouncer.  Yes, the girls are worn out and no, there isn't much to show for it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

They are getting lots of plaudits for being pretty average in my view, bielsa is tactically naive and they have taken some heavy beatings but still get praise. Bizarre 

They remind of Blackpool a few years ago. 

Yes, I just compared Biesla to Holloway. However, they did the same (Blackpool were probably not as naive as Leeds) a few years ago. Came in, got plenty of plaudits for their “guts” and got few great results to start of with. The second half of the season, they got found out by teams with better players and flew down the table. I wouldn’t mind that to happen actually. 

They will always have Raheem Sterling praising them after a point against Man City. I’d rather have our three with our lucky, safe style. :)

Bielsa is seriously over-rated. You'd think a "world class" coach like him could see they were absolutely wide open and getting ripped through at will and change or tweak something. But no... He just squats there on his bucket staring blankly as his team gets hammered week after week. 

He hasn't exactly won much in the past 30 years either. The Championship title is one of his highlights. And look at some of the shite managers which have won that in the past. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

They remind of Blackpool a few years ago

Yes, I just compared Biesla to Holloway. However, they did the same (Blackpool were probably not as naive as Leeds) a few years ago. Came in, got plenty of plaudits for their “guts” and got few great results to start of with. The second half of the season, they got found out by teams with better players and flew down the table. I wouldn’t mind that to happen actually. 

They will always have Raheem Sterling praising them after a point against Man City. I’d rather have our three with our lucky, safe style. :)

I thought this yesterday too. Yet I don’t recall anyone calling Holloway a genius. 

If anything bielsa is looking clueless when his teams are getting turned over with no idea how to turn things around. Yesterday was a prime example with Man U employing such a simple tactic to take their cdm out the game and leave their defence completely open and exposed time and again and he didn’t spot it or change it.

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

Absolute muck from WBA. That's what you've got to look forward to under The Count Of Monte Bisto, 30% possession, one shot the entire game which was a terrible free kick from about 40 yards, and camping on the edge of your own box at 1-0 down when you need to score. 

Sounds a bit like Wolves in some games to be fair, mate! Sorry, couldn't resist! 

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I had a Leeds fan come into work this morning and he said as long as Bielsa keeps them up he'll still be a hero, no matter how they play. 

I think that is fair enough for this season. I wonder what they'll think when expectations rise and they want to be challenging in the top half. It will be interesting to see if they can recruit a higher a calibre of player, especially in defence, and still play the same way. 

58 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I don't think playing that way is sustainable for any team no matter how good they are. You can't just leave holes everywhere, because all your men are committed forwards, and expect defenders to be able to cover everything constantly. 

Agree. I think this is especially true when you look at the quality of the individual defenders yesterday. We're not talking about VVD, Baresi and Maldini, are we?! That back 4 was barely championship quality yesterday, with 2 converted midfielders at full back, a full back at centre back and Liam Cooper! 

I'll never understand pundits or fans that love defensive football. I've always been one that prefers gung ho attacking and actually giving it a go. If 10 men behind the ball and showing no ambition to score gets you going then fair play. Give me Bielsa's style over Allardyce's any day.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I had a Leeds fan come into work this morning and he said as long as Bielsa keeps them up he'll still be a hero, no matter how they play. 

Nothing wrong with that, even if it is an unsustainable way of playing in the long term. 

It's how we were in 2014/15 - not in terms of play but doing what was required to stay up, albeit leaving it late! 

For clubs that have been out of the PL for so long, it can't be overstated how valuable it is it survive in the first season. Financially it's one of the best things to happen to a club. 

42 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'll never understand pundits or fans that love defensive football. I've always been one that prefers gung ho attacking and actually giving it a go. If 10 men behind the ball and showing no ambition to score gets you going then fair play. Give me Bielsa's style over Allardyce's any day.

Bielsa’s style is too far the other way, yes defensive football if you create nothing is pointless, and can lead to terrible football but also being overly ambitious with a side that can’t really compete is a recipe for disaster. You need to be able to use both when required, especially if you don’t have the players to stick with your gung ho style. 

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Bielsa’s style is too far the other way, yes defensive football if you create nothing is pointless, and can lead to terrible football but also being overly ambitious with a side that can’t really compete is a recipe for disaster. You need to be able to use both when required, especially if you don’t have the players to stick with your gung ho style. 

I play a 4 2 4 overload on footie manager, you'll never convince me that a defence first approach is best :D

What he's done with that squad is incredibly impressive. As a neutral it's nice to know that you'll be sitting down and watching a good game, the thought of Burnley v Wolves later sends shivers down my spine haha.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

It was brilliant from our owners to keep Pearson on when we looked like getting relegated. Watford, West Brom. Absolute idiot owners.

The end justifies the means, or not, as the case may be. Sometimes backing your manager works, like in our case with NP - and by most accounts Top had to talk Vichai out of sacking NP after the Arsenal away game. Sometimes a change works, like when our owners sacked Ranieri, and most outsiders didn't think much of our owners when they did.

Just had a horrible, horrible thought. 

If things get worse for Arsenal and they end up in a genuine relegation battle, they seriously could end up turning to Pearson. 

And I just couldn’t cope with that as I’d actually have to start liking Arsenal and there is no way I’m putting that on my 2021 Bingo Card. I’m not having it.