Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Lestahfan35 said:

Id have to disagree, in the sense that its professional sport. WINNING is the objective, and if it entertains people in the process, all the better.

No one is obliged to entertain you. What is entertaining football? being wide open and reckless is a form of entertainment, but you could just as easily say a well excuted counter attack is good coaching.

What Bielsa has in his favour is his teams will produce some memorable wins by multiple goals, and everyone will sit up and take notice of that. And its almost like when they take the same number or, or most likely more absolute pannings throughout the season, theyll be totally absolved of criticism because 3 months ago they put 5 past Newcastle etc etc.

Im not sure Dyche is disrespected as a manager either. Hes quite annoying, granted, but hes done a fantastic job with Burnley, i think most people have got complete respect for him

I suppose one way is looking at it is you have two contrasting styles of football (Leeds and Burnley for example) and both finish on 50 points. One scores 65 goals but concedes 60 and the other scores 40 but concedes only 45. The more exciting and entertaining team will get the nod in terms of appreciation. If 50 points is the maximum each team can realistically achieve and playing another way would hinder instead of help then they are absolutely right in their respective approaches.

45 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

It's a bloody disgrace. 

I have a daughter that's followed the rules totally but has witnessed friends of a similar age, having parties and gatherings on ticktock etc. 

There are always assholes out there ..... this year has just shown them more clearly for what they are ......

4 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

With Tottenham thrashing Leeds and Arsenal thrashing West Brom, that's what the footballing establishment like. Back to normal for the so called top 6 clubs i suppose

Arsenal are not Top 6.  They are a member of the 'Big 6.'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There's always one shock departure each season and I think you're in danger of a very poor season. 

Nuno has too much good will in the bank with the fans and owners. 

Same way that Bielsa isn't going to get the chop either. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Now we await his 'apology' because he should have known better and is sorry for letting everyone down. Yawn. 

footballs are pricks now on the whole lets be real here

so much money they think they are better than the rest of the population

So Benjamin Mendy is the latest players in a string of Man City players breaking the rules.

I’m sorry but other than the fact they’re “Manchester City” and their manager is “Pep Guardiola” meaning the authorities dare not upset such a precious club, precious manager and their money I don’t see how you can’t forfeit the game(s) they have missed or potentially miss in the future, dock them points, heavily (and I meaningful) fine club and players involved and heavily ban players involved?

The authorities, powers that be, rulemakers love the phrases “Bringing the game into disrepute” surely that is literally what this is? Manchester City as a club and the management is surely “Failing to control their players” you could argue this is in they players down time but surely they are reminded of their duties, responsibilities and ultimately the rules the whole country is supposed to be living by.

Any players who do the same should also be punished, the Tottenham players, the Chelsea players for Abraham’s(?) birthday, Grealish, etc, if any of ours have done anything - not that we know of.

However the difference is no other club other than Man City have had to have games postponed because of ignorant footballers doing as they please.

Newcastle and Fulham have had outbreaks but as far as I know that’s not due to their players going out, partying, doing as they please. 

Let’s not upset the mighty Manchester City or Guardiola though.

Edit - After posting this I’ve just read things reporting Mitrovic (so perhaps Fulham’s outbreak is to players doing as they please) and Milivojevic being investigated.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hollyfox said:

It's a bloody disgrace. 

I have a daughter that's followed the rules totally but has witnessed friends of a similar age, having parties and gatherings on ticktock etc. 

I know some people are deliberately just disregarding the rules but I think some just don't understand, somehow. We saw our neighbour out yesterday, who was commenting on high case numbers and insisted people need to be in strict lockdown. She was out walking with her 2 non resident daughters. Exercise is only permitted with members of your household here. Over the Christmas period they'd several cars appear on the drive, so people in the house, not just the one permitted day. But she was most insistent the rules should be followed...

21 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I know some people are deliberately just disregarding the rules but I think some just don't understand, somehow. We saw our neighbour out yesterday, who was commenting on high case numbers and insisted people need to be in strict lockdown. She was out walking with her 2 non resident daughters. Exercise is only permitted with members of your household here. Over the Christmas period they'd several cars appear on the drive, so people in the house, not just the one permitted day. But she was most insistent the rules should be followed...

This is where we are though.

People need to be spoon fed or have their hands held to be guided through such things.

For me, these tiers, lockdowns don’t work, they’re neither here nor there and the latest restrictions announcements the other day really got to me mentally.

The current tiers and lockdowns pointless. We either do it properly with a strict lockdown and make it clear under no uncertain circumstances or we don’t do it at all.

I’ve followed the rules, I don’t necessarily agree with them but I’ve followed them but it’s getting the point where they’re pointless, they’re neither here nor there, they’re clearly not working anyway and people aren’t following them anyway so rightly or wrongly I’m thinking what’s the point?

Edited by Matt

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

So Benjamin Mendy is the latest players in a string of Man City players breaking the rules.

I’m sorry but other than the fact they’re “Manchester City” and their manager is “Pep Guardiola” meaning the authorities dare not upset such a precious club, precious manager and their money I don’t see how you can’t forfeit the game(s) they have missed or potentially miss in the future, dock them points, heavily (and I meaningful) fine club and players involved and heavily ban players involved?

The authorities, powers that be, rulemakers love the phrases “Bringing the game into disrepute” surely that is literally what this is? Manchester City as a club and the management is surely “Failing to control their players” you could argue this is in they players down time but surely they are reminded of their duties, responsibilities and ultimately the rules the whole country is supposed to be living by.

Any players who do the same should also be punished, the Tottenham players, the Chelsea players for Abraham’s(?) birthday, Grealish, etc, if any of ours have done anything - not that we know of.

However the difference is no other club other than Man City have had to have games postponed because of ignorant footballers doing as they please.

Newcastle and Fulham have had outbreaks but as far as I know that’s not due to their players going out, partying, doing as they please. 

Let’s not upset the mighty Manchester City or Guardiola though.

Edit - After posting this I’ve just read things reporting Mitrovic (so perhaps Fulham’s outbreak is to players doing as they please) and Milivojevic being investigated.

Fulham's outbreak was before Mitrovic went out on NYE. Not that it makes it any less stupid. In fact, if you know you've been round people and within an outbreak, you're more likely to potentially pass it on to those at the party?!

Hodgson's comments about Milivojevic were very disappointing. Pretty much questioned why Palace fans would be annoyed at him because they want to win football matches, and therefore he had to be in the starting XI :unsure:

• Like 1

These players should absolutely recieve fines and suspensions imo. Club sanctions seem a little harsh to me, but the individuals need something serious, given the absolute selfishness, stupidity and potential danger they're demonstrating.

Just caught the WBA v Arsenal game. Arsenal's 2nf goal was a thing of beauty. Sensational first touch football. Smith-Rowe and Saka really look good. That goal was peak Arsenal of the old.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

West Brom have shipped 9 goals in 2 games.

They deserve everything they get.

Replacing Bilic with Flabbydyce was not only disgraceful but also very silly

Allardyce said this was the same pattern he had at Sunderland & Palace. He started poorly with them, then signed a few players in January, and went on an unbeaten run and kept them up. I can see him doing similar at WBA. Allardyce was made for situations like this. 

14 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Just a general observational type of question, why do so many youngsters have double barrel names? 🤔 (two surnames I mean)

But you are. ..Sheppy-fox  &  I  Fuchs-Ntf     .

We just dropped the hyphen....:D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's the living, breathing embodiment of why Dyche is disrespected as a manager. In Dyche's head it's because he's a ginger white Englishman. The truth is, Bielsa could be Barry Smith from Dagenham and he'd still have the same reputation, its got **** all to do with being foreign and everything to do with being both competent and entertaining at once

Facts. 

14 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Just a general observational type of question, why do so many youngsters have double barrel names? 🤔 (two surnames I mean)

You might find some views in this thread.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KFS said:

Great points made on this topic in this video. Love what the Man U fan says. I don’t give a fvck what people think of Leicester. As long as we get results.

Adam is wrong. Yes, we don't care what others think how Leicester play but if all 20 PL teams played like Burnley the PL wouldn't have the appeal it does globally, and subsequently wouldn't rake in the billions in TV money..

As Ric Flair mentioned, if Burnley and Leeds finished both on 50 points, but Leeds scored 65 and conceded 60, and Burnley scored 40 and conceded 45, then clearly Bielsa would be praised (rightly so) and Dyche would be disrespected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Apparently at least one of ours did, but had the sense to delete it off social media before the press got wind of it. We're lucky it didn't result in an outbreak. I suspect there are players at all clubs doing the same, they're just not plastering it over social media. Not condoning it, but the general public are hardly following the rules, footballers are even less likely to. 

Edited by brucey

Turns out a lot of these footballers..these role models are just hypocrites, makes me wonder what else they say but don’t mean, what else they do but don’t really believe in. Charlatans, hope they make good examples of all of them, our players included if they get up to any shenanigans.

I don't know which is worse, the trite, disingenuous, footballer apologies or the tone deaf responses by the managers.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1