Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

On 15/01/2021 at 13:36, LVocey said:

Never denied he has quality, just fails to impress me more times than not. Has a wondeful knack of right place right time with his goals and assists and i'm sure thats far more skill than luck but for me there are many more midfielders in the league I rate higher.

He started off great and that’s what happens when you’re new. Teams are a lot more wise to him now and he gets nullified a lot. I’ve watched him closely since being bigged up and he’s pretty average but pops up at the right time. The 2-2 game against us he was poor but flukes a pass to Rashford and scored after the most simplistic of straight runs into out box after a very bad decision by Evans and he scuffs a shot into the bottom corner. The guy has has some serious luck but the guys watching that game would have said how amazing he was because he scored a goal and got an assist.

12 minutes ago, reynard said:

Of course you're right in one sense that as far as spreading the virus it makes little difference in the context of a whole match. However, it is about football making a statement that empathises with the Government message of as few contacts as possible.

The vast majority of footballers, just like the general public, are adhering to guidelines/rules etc but when you get things like Celtic going off to wherever on a training trip/holiday it gives out the wrong type of image to the rest of the population.

In the world, right now, gestures, however contrived or scientifically meaningless, do make a difference.

.... and most of the other things people site are necessary to play the game hugging a goal scorer in these times is self indulgent and unnecessary. Sure in from an emotional point it can be hard to resist but so can hugging a loved one.

• Like 1

The job that David Moyes is doing at West Ham has gone somewhat under the radar. If you remember where they were when we beat them away last season with a second strong team they've improved drastically. After getting sacked by Real Sociedad and the Sunderland debacle his stock was at an all time low and he looked finished at this level. He's managed to save his reputation so fair play to him. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, reynard said:

Of course you're right in one sense that as far as spreading the virus it makes little difference in the context of a whole match. However, it is about football making a statement that empathises with the Government message of as few contacts as possible.

The vast majority of footballers, just like the general public, are adhering to guidelines/rules etc but when you get things like Celtic going off to wherever on a training trip/holiday it gives out the wrong type of image to the rest of the population.

In the world, right now, gestures, however contrived or scientifically meaningless, do make a difference.

Think you've touched on it here but what this 'socially distanced celebration' stuff is, is a statement. 

We all know that these guys are travelling together, sharing showers, hotel rooms, dressing rooms and in Man City's case...Women. 

They are shoulder to shoulder most days but when the public are watching, keep your distance. It's a pony show. 

32 minutes ago, reynard said:

This!

Madders' little game of charades for his celebration made me chuckle anyway. Looked like the new kid at the office party. lol

52 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

The job that David Moyes is doing at West Ham has gone somewhat under the radar. If you remember where they were when we beat them away last season with a second strong team they've improved drastically. After getting sacked by Real Sociedad and the Sunderland debacle his stock was at an all time low and he looked finished at this level. He's managed to save his reputation so fair play to him. 

I reckon not having fans in there is probably doing them a favour short term and long term - it was all pretty grim there from what I remember of when fans were allowed in grounds. Going under the radar for a bit and taking some of the pressure of expectation from their fans is probably a good thing too.

He deserves some credit for this season so far, but they've spent a lot of money in the last few years and really, they should be finishing mid-table given the investment levels.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Any chance of Sheffield United taking points of Spurs today? Spurs will score early and then park the double decker. Against the team bottom of the table. Mourinho has no shame. 

I can definitely see it happen. Sheff United had lost all confidence but two wins in a row could make a world of difference in bringing back belief. We saw last season that the have ability.

Edited by peach0000

37 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

He is doing well at W.Ham much to my surprise. I could never understand why people thought he did so well at Everton (compared with say Sean Dyche he had ample resources) but then Ferguson wanted him at Man.U so I thought I'd got it wrong and I'd underrated him. Turned out Fergie had misjudged him,as he absolutely failed in every respect at Man U.altho Fergie had n't exactly left a rich inheritance which has been apparent ever since. I quite like him as a guy so I'm glad its going well at W. Ham, even though I'm mystified as to how he got the job. Even so I'll be amazed if he's ever in charge at a club who wins anything significant. There' s always a whole string of managers around who continually waltz into £2-5m pa. jobs despite the fact that based on their success record  they should be cleaning the dressing room for £15K p.a.

I think it is a very tough and demanding job but  its part of football's financial rot that weak, poor, and untalented  managers can command these salaries and then when found wanting can fool yet another ingenuous club into giving them the next job in the string. and so on usually until their near criminal or personal habits mean the party is eventually over.

I'm delighted to say the CV of our manager indicates he's well capable of doing the very tough job very well,  has the job on merit, deserves a very high salary (altho not £5.0m a year). and I hope the thing that keeps him at LCFC is that he's smart enough to realise he could become a GREAT Manager involved in the rise of a really great club ( never mind big 6, there only really a big 3, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City are either nouveau riche or spurs like, and even Arsenal are a bit tottery). I would love to see this happen as if Brendan R wins recognition eventually as a really great manager it would mean LCFC had been recognised as a really great club. Get a bit more history and we're one of the big 4. Incidently the  couple of bad knocks from football (a career ending condition, and a harsh sacking at L'pool.) BR has had mean I'd be doubly delighted.We deserve a great manager and have n't had one yet.(a few very good ones though)

Rant over. Thought I deserved a Sunday morning one  for unwisely sticking my neck out about the Saints game, and getting away with it

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

the City and Hundred Reasons - never thought I'd live in a world where they collided. 
Saw them Rock City 2004, supported by Biffy Clyro. How things change...

Believe the HR singer now works as a media teacher at a college somewhere and has no real inclination to return to music. 

Yeah he’s a lecturer I think.

I’ve seen them loads, such a good live band. Saw them with Hell Is For Heroes on their farewell tours actually, what a gig.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

Sheff u remind me of us when we did the great escape, they ain’t playing really bad only losing games by 1 goal, be a massive achievement to stay up, but we did it, they are capable 

They have been miles worse than we were.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

Sheff u remind me of us when we did the great escape, they ain’t playing really bad only losing games by 1 goal, be a massive achievement to stay up, but we did it, they are capable 

I've just said the opposite, I don't think they've enough quality in the team now. Obviously there's the window to strengthen yet but don't see them pulling off a great escape. Probably beat Spurs now....

26 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I've just said the opposite, I don't think they've enough quality in the team now. Obviously there's the window to strengthen yet but don't see them pulling off a great escape. Probably beat Spurs now....

Well as much as I’d love that to happen , it won’t if they continue to defend corners like a bunch of traffic cones 

Sheff Utd being torn apart here. 

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Watching through NOWTV, there seems to be a delay between the commentary and picture. The commentators seem to know there was a goal before the corner was even taken.

Yeah they just acknowledge it on commentary. You'll probably hear about it in a few minutes :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

Very revealing interview by Morinho On BBC. news site as it happened live feature. Whatever you feel about Marinho I don't doubt his obvious intelligence and his achievements are still large if fading a bit with time.

I quite like Murhino 

• Haha 2