Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Not yet. If when our best players leave they'll go for 2-3 times what we paid for them. Doherty was just a Mendes Carousel move by the looks of it. He wasn't worth much more than £20m any way. He's an average player who's poor defensively but decent going forwards in our specific system. He'll be a liability at Spurs, mark my words. 

We often do loan with options to buy as it gives us a chance to assess him for a season and also delays his transfer fee for a year for FFP purposes, which allows us to make other purchases in the same window. 

Oh and I wouldn't entirely trust that Portugese Twitter account about Telles. He's made a lot of guesses in the last few days. Fabio Silva came off and Vinagre does seem to be leaving. But he also said we were getting Esteves and Leite "in a few hours" from them days ago. I can't see us getting Telles, I think he'll go to Man Utd. 

What I mean is, why have Porto agreed to that? Most clubs would like a loan with an option to buy as it mitigates risk but this smacks of Mendes making the decisions and Porto being powerless to it. They need money and yet they are loaning out one of their best young players? Can smell it from here.

Porto have to raise €100m because they failed FFP. They've asked Mendes to help them do that. Not surprising they are trying to sell their youngsters first before the first team. 

The loan part is irrelevant. That will be our choice, given that we will give them the most money at the end of it. I assume Porto can put it on their books as a sale, or the player is off their books. 

Edited by The Bear

Porto have to raise €100m because they failed FFP. They've asked Mendes to help them do that. Not surprising they are trying to sell their youngsters first before the first team. 

The loan part is irrelevant. That will be our choice, given that we will give them the most money at the end of it. I assume Porto can put it on their books as a sale, or the player is off their books. 

Interesting that cos they've also signed some Brazilian 20 year old striker who they reckon is like shit off a shovel 

How does loaning you a player for a year before you might give them £18m help though?

• Like 1

Have PL implemented any rules about players getting Covid-19? 

Mainly in response to that Belgian player getting covid and potentially affecting 3 of our players, not to mention the rest of the players for other clubs too (but they're insignificant on this particular site!) 

What if a player gets covid during the season and not on international duty? 

What's the knock on effect for the following games? Does it have to be a certain number of players before anything is done? 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Mainly in response to that Belgian player getting covid and potentially affecting 3 of our players, not to mention the rest of the players for other clubs too (but they're insignificant on this particular site!) 

What's the knock on effect for the following games? Does it have to be a certain number of players before anything is done? 

I imagine they’ll continue with the testing as normal? 

Clubs in danger of breaching the Premier League’s financial regulations have been given a stay of execution after it secretly relaxed its profit and sustainability rules due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Top-flight clubs’ finances will now be assessed over an average of last season and next season together rather than just the 2019-20 campaign.

The clubs will also be allowed to write off any losses or extra spending caused by the Covid-19 crisis, such as reduced gate receipts or lower television income.

Everton are potentially the biggest beneficiaries of the rule change, which was agreed by the top-flight clubs at their annual meeting last month as it has bought them more time.

The rules state that clubs’ maximum permitted losses are £105 million over a rolling three-year period, but the Covid pandemic could cost clubs tens of millions of pounds in lost TV revenue and matchday income.

The Premier League announced yesterday it has terminated its biggest single overseas TV deal, a £526 million three-year contract with China’s PPTV, just a year into the deal after an unpaid £160 million fee.

Everton recorded losses of £13 million in 2017-18 and £111 million in 2018-19, putting them in severe danger of being sanctioned if they did not make a profit last season. Those fears have now been reduced by the Premier League’s rule change, which also explains how Everton have been able to afford moves for Real Madrid’s Colombian forward James Rodriguez, Abdoulaye Doucouré from Watford, and Napoli midfielder Allan.

Chelsea, who have spent heavily on transfers this summer, also reported significant losses in 2018/19, of £96million, but that followed a profit of £69m the previous season.

The Premier League’s board has the power to impose a spending budget on a club that breaches the rules and to impose a transfer ban. It can also refer cases to a regulatory commission which can impose a range of sanctions from fines up to a points deduction.

The clubs’ rule change, which was not formally announced by the Premier League at the time it was made last month, mirrors Uefa’s changes to its financial fair play rules.

Uefa announced in June it would allow owners to put more money into their clubs to cover increased losses caused by football’s shutdown. It also said that FFP would be measured over two seasons instead of one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Well it seems that they'll have to lump it as Man City look to start their fist game against Wolves without Mahrez & Lapoorte

On Monday, Manchester City revealed that Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez returned positive tests and will now self-isolate in accordance with government guidelines.

Neither is displaying symptoms of the virus but they may miss City's first game of the new season is away at Wolves, live on Monday Night Football, on September 21.

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Games will still go ahead regardless of positive cases, which means that they can't enforce groups of full squads of players from having to self isolate, unless every single one of them tested positive. I imagine it will just mean they test the players possibly effected every day or every other day and as long as they they keep coming back negative then they keep training and playing.

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Games will still go ahead regardless of positive cases, which means that they can't enforce groups of full squads of players from having to self isolate, unless every single one of them tested positive. I imagine it will just mean they test the players possibly effected every day or every other day and as long as they they keep coming back negative then they keep training and playing.

i think clubs will request three tests per week becomes the standard. i wonder if any have invested in one of those mobile testing machines to be used daily - i don't believe they are that expensive

• Like 1

Surely there has to be a limit on players testing postive though? If 10 first teamers are out for 2 weeks, we could potentially have the same 14 blokes playing 4 or 5 games in 14 days? It can't be just be if you test positive you sit out and everyone else carries on as normal, 6 or 7 players out means the game will surely be postponed.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Looks like Villa are getting Ollie Watkins from Brentford for £28m 

Just seen that. Up to £33m?! In these times for a championship striker who's 25 in a few months and only got to 10 goals in 2 seasons before the last. 

I know he's meant to be good but that is just a ridiculous fee if true.