Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Obscene amounts if true. This is what we're up against and what Rodgers no doubt was alluding to when he made comments about what other clubs can offer in that top 4/6 bracket. He got a lot of stick for it but look at these numbers?! Not a chance in hell we ever get close to that amount. I know people think he/the club are unambitious but there's a stark difference between that and what other clubs can offer. It really is possible to show ambition but not pay obscene amounts of money (in our position) against the likes of Chelsea who can just literally throw money around... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Obscene amounts if true. This is what we're up against and what Rodgers no doubt was alluding to when he made comments about what other clubs can offer in that top 4/6 bracket. He got a lot of stick for it but look at these numbers?! Not a chance in hell we ever get close to that amount. I know people think he/the club are unambitious but there's a stark difference between that and what other clubs can offer. It really is possible to show ambition but not pay obscene amounts of money (in our position) against the likes of Chelsea who can just literally throw money around... 

His dad works for the club so they're definitely correct figures 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not a chance that is even remotely true

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KFS said:

Classic Villa buy that. What happened to that Wesley fella who was going to be the next big thing? 

That Wesley wasn’t even proved in the Belgian league. Watkins has ‘proved’ he has ability and I think alongside vardy he’d be class in the next couple of years 

3 minutes ago, LCFCJ said:

Anyone else confused as to why we didn’t go in for Ollie Watkins? £28m in this day and age for a player of what looks like a lot of quality is ludicrous to why we didn’t atleast put in a bid

Maybe we did but decided £28m + £5m add ons was too high a price to pay for a player unproven at the highest level 

Just now, Staffs Fox said:

Maybe we did but decided £28m + £5m add ons was too high a price to pay for a player unproven at the highest level 

That’s the price of players now. We paid £20m+ for Maddison who was ‘unproved’ at the top level and now look at him. We will never find a proven hound english prospect for under £30m nowadays.

9 minutes ago, LCFCJ said:

That’s the price of players now. We paid £20m+ for Maddison who was ‘unproved’ at the top level and now look at him. We will never find a proven hound english prospect for under £30m nowadays.

£28m, rising to £33m, is over the top for him even for players now. He's always hit double figures but last season was the only season where he's been prolific.

As for Maddison, he hasn't even reached 10 goals in a season for us plus last season he only got about 3 assists. I'm not saying he's been a bad signing for us but I don't think he's a great example.

It's a huge fee paid by Villa but if he scores the goals to keep them up it'll be priceless. But, for me, it would have been interesting to have seen if Watkins hit 20+ in the Championship again. Obviously he'll really know Smith though. It will be interesting to see how many goals he gets for Villa.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, filbertway said:

That chap you've linked Haha. Further down the comments he says his dad works for the club which is how he knows lol

Haha didn't see that. I don't believe that exact bit but I'm guessing the wages are still obscenely high. 

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I refuse to believe any one is that stupid.

Do we know if he supports Villa?

Worked with Smith before?

Better wages?

More opportunities for game time?

Would sooner live in Birmingham? 

Of course none of that could be true but its the assumption that if we bid he'd come that I don't get. There's more to a transfer than 'oh they finished higher in the league'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFCJ said:

Anyone else confused as to why we didn’t go in for Ollie Watkins? £28m in this day and age for a player of what looks like a lot of quality is ludicrous to why we didn’t atleast put in a bid

Not in the slightest. No value at all in Watkins at that price, looks a half decent player but lets get real, he's had one good season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFCJ said:

Define "proved". He's had one good season at Championship level. Plenty of average players have scored a lot of goals in one season in that league, Daryl Murphy, Ollie McBurnie, I could go on.

• Like 1