Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

6 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I have to admit, some of the decisions for 'certain teams' are becoming a bit suspicious but that being said, VAR has treated us well thus far.

I often wonder if there's unconscious bias with the referee's, it's only normal.

If they don't act on a big call against Leicester,  Brighton, Newcastle  etc etc then it will never effect them unless they visit one of those cities.

Say the same about Man Utd, Liverpool etc then their supporters are like dog sh1t, they're everywhere. Whatever city you go to, wherever you go on holiday, your going to get stick. It's almost like the referees are worried to go against teams with the bigger fan bases.

I did think like this, but one of my best mates is an Arsenal fan so I watch them a lot too and they get a ridiculous amount of poor decisions IMO, even the 50/50s seem to go against them more often than not.

Spurs are the same, they seem to get a fair few crap decisions (but I don't watch them as much to know for sure)

Honestly it's United who seem to get 95% of decisions go their way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Missing the dive initially is more than excusable, no one is denying that, for the most part,  referees  have a hard job.

Going to watch it on a monitor, from numerous angles, at different speeds, and still missing it is whats inexcusable.  It clearly shows that some referees are unfit to fulfill their job with any competence.

It's like any tool I guess, it's only as good as those operating it. Unfortunately we have some of the most incompetent officiating throughout Europe, if not world wide.

I think there is definitely an element of Mike Dean not wanting to admit he was wrong, hiding behind the fact there might have been a little bit of contact. I don't necessarily blame refs for that because the media, managers, players, pundits and supporters have made football like this over the last 10 years where fouls are given for everything and if they're not they scream that it should've been. Fact is if Martial doesn't cheat then there is nothing for VAR or the referee to worry about. I don't pretend we're any different and I am an hypocrite because I'll celebrate if we score from a soft penalty decision. 

Some thought VAR would stop players cheating, or exaggerating if you're being polite, but if anything its enabled them more because they are finding any sort of contact to justify giving a foul. 

I don't know if you can stop it now, because its gone too far. 

Offside is a different debate, the one last night looked ridiculous but until they decide how best to use it, it has to be given offside. For me, if you have to zoom in that much or spend so long then benefit should be given to attacker. But that has to be used universally, not just in the premier league. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Another great post.

As others have said, the big hope with VAR was that it would iron out all the decisions that appeared to favour "the big six". Instead, it seems to have increased them and given them a sort of acceptability under the guise of making impartial decisions.  I agree that the people conducting VAR should be separate from the refs on the field, trained differently and appropriately.  Only problem is - if that were to come about, do you trust the same football authorities, with their record of incompetence and their suspected pressure from "commercial interests", to implement it correctly?

Yeah absolutely not. Across all sectors of public life Britain has a long proud history of "independent regulators" actually just being the best mates of the people they're supposed to be overseeing. Not for a second would I expect the football elites to willingly submit to anything approaching actual oversight lol

1 hour ago, what? said:

They should consider VAR a different job from the rest of the officiating positions and stop just rotating the existing refs there. It just creates a closed shop culture where they are encouraged to look after their colleagues. Train a bunch of people whose sole responsibility is VAR, have them do only that, and make them distinct from the other refs. It should be like an independent ombudsmen, not another arm of the refereeing team. 

You've got the same problem with pundits, if they were honest instead covering for current players they would call out all the diving. They should know better than anyone when someone has cheated but I guess it's become endemic and they where part of the problem when they were playing/managing and they've come to see it as normal, a legitimate part of the game.

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I know this has been said a million times but it would be so much more transparent if we could hear the conversations between Stockley Park and the on field referee when they’re talking through the decisions. It would be so much easier to understand the rational of both the referee and the VAR, and it would probably also cover their backs as it would give context to the decisions. The commentary teams can hear them so why can’t the audience watching at home? What are they afraid of us hearing? 

Probably stop the dissent and any outside influence too .

They need to sit down and decide on a clear and defined set of rules which everyone will understand .

If footballers and managers don’t want to learn them then so be it - they do have other things to worry about I guess .

Seems many rules get changed mid season because people make a big thing of it when the decision goes against them .

Surely we must see that the offside rule is a mess .

These people making the rules must be football fans who’d want to see more goals - not less ?

1 hour ago, what? said:

They should consider VAR a different job from the rest of the officiating positions and stop just rotating the existing refs there. It just creates a closed shop culture where they are encouraged to look after their colleagues. Train a bunch of people whose sole responsibility is VAR, have them do only that, and make them distinct from the other refs. It should be like an independent ombudsmen, not another arm of the refereeing team. 

There might well be a bunch of people who would make really good referees but don’t want the spotlight or attention that comes with it who could make brilliant VAR officials. 

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

There might well be a bunch of people who would make really good referees but don’t want the spotlight or attention that comes with it who could make brilliant VAR officials. 

Most of Foxestalk then :P

• Haha 1

I still don't know how accurate the offside decisions are, is it all manual? As in do they manually pause the screen when the ball is played still and also draw the lines themselves? I remember when it first came out the frames per second was something quite low like 30, is this still the case? Also remember one time that VAR didn't have access to all of the cameras that BT Sports did, has this been changed?

These decisions keep happening, yet we never get any clarification on what's changing or how it's right, other than 'the ref interpreted the rules that way', or 'the ref was correct, those are the rules' (like the Targett handball last week for example)

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was strongly in favour of VAR before it's implementation and I remain so now. 

Technology is neither good or bad, its just a thing. It's only as successful as how it's used, there's potential for VAR to make the game objectively better. Its use for offside, for example, is objectively better however much it might frustrate people. 

But its use for subjective decisions has been hugely frustrating and needs to be improved. It should have been the great equaliser that reduced contentious snap decisions going in the favour of big clubs, instead there are times it almost seems to be being used to justify them. 

But people need to stop turning on VAR and it's removal, I promise you that that will only benefit the "Sky Sports Big Six" further. 

People need to start turning on the league and our governing bodies and demanding they change and they improve, don't scapegoat a bit of technology that's only as good or bad as the people wielding it. 

Good post.

On topic: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/23/he-shoots-he-scores-or-does-he-how-var-changed-football-for-ever?

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I still don't know how accurate the offside decisions are, is it all manual? As in do they manually pause the screen when the ball is played still and also draw the lines themselves? I remember when it first came out the frames per second was something quite low like 30, is this still the case? Also remember one time that VAR didn't have access to all of the cameras that BT Sports did, has this been changed?

These decisions keep happening, yet we never get any clarification on what's changing or how it's right, other than 'the ref interpreted the rules that way', or 'the ref was correct, those are the rules' (like the Targett handball last week for example)

I believe it is the case that lines are manually drawn, yes. I was surprised at how low-tech it is. Surely, we easily have the technology to have software that recognises the players' positions and places them on a 3d model of the pitch. It could work out instantly whether there's an offside, or at least make it possible to look at an angle straight across the pitch that makes it easy to see.

I think the Soton offside decision last night was correct, but there was a Man Utd player further forward than the one they were looking at. The green lines (Maguire's foot) were already on the image. I drew the orange lines where the Soton player's sleeve is, and the red lines where the Man Utd player's (just behind Soton player) knee is.

sotonoffside.jpg.0fe07c73a3b170f1b2ef981b208743eb.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not even watched it and already know its not the greatest press conference every. Nigel Pearson's ostrich interview still holds rank. 

NP conferences in lockdown along these lines would be a thing you could sell tickets for 

48 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Mick Hucknall with the bants 

Core message is right but it’s a bit ‘boring parent wants to be the fun one for a weekend’

Soccer AM have their content now though