Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Controversial opinion but Dean is actually one of the best officials in the league in my opinion. His eccentric style makes him more open for abuse where other worse referees get away with being shocking because they are almost anonymous. I always think dean shows equal contempt for all teams and players and is one of the few officials that doesn't seem openly bias.

I agree. He's a willy puller but OK official. Which makes him very good in PL standings.

• Like 1

You’ve got poor refs being put on VAR. To use a computer science term, it’s garbage in garbage out.

Until you get the standard of officiating right, VAR will always be flawed.

Goes without saying the death threats and threats of any kind are terrible and should never be tolerated. No doubt it’s probably the same idiots who send racist abuse to players.

• Like 1

Death threats obviously not ok but we do need a look at the refs in the Prem. There’s a collection of them that love themselves and hell bent on ruining games. Jon Moss is the worst for it 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Death threats go beyond anything acceptable. This is the refs governing bodies fault. Too many times, referees are below the requisite standard in this league and VAR has just highlighted that. The approach of the authorities make them untouchable. It’s unfortunate that something like this has to occur to perhaps improve education. This is elite level sport and this is arguably the best domestic league in the world. Dean, Mason etc. Are clearly not up to the job and need training in handling pressure and complaints and communication (the way they dismiss managers is embarrassing). The industry needs a clean up.

17 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Controversial opinion but Dean is actually one of the best officials in the league in my opinion. His eccentric style makes him more open for abuse where other worse referees get away with being shocking because they are almost anonymous. I always think dean shows equal contempt for all teams and players and is one of the few officials that doesn't seem openly bias.

A really potent point - and one to an extent I agree with. My frustration is that like Pawson his decision making/officiating is erratic, inconsistent and often excessive as the Soucek incident was ample testimony to. It's as though he regards himself as bigger than the game. Some said the same of Clattenburg - difference being he was technically very sound and dependable. 

• Like 1

The problem is that the officiating of the sport seems to be going out of its way to perplex fans. Cheating appears to be fine and nobody mentions it.  We get the tech to stamp it out and instead it’s used for killing the spontaneous celebration of goals, giving loads of penalties for nothing and ruling out good goals from open play - also for nothing.

Regardless of whether you are a fan, a player or a billionaire owner in it just for the money, surely good, fair, competitive sport with no cheating and plenty of scoring is a good thing. I just don’t see where the motivation is for the way the game is headed, or who benefits.

“They’re” killing their own cash cow and can’t even see it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The Soucek Red Card appeal has been successful.

Surely they should now be looking at how the VAR ref ****ed up two weeks in a row. 

I'd love to know what was said in both that and the Bednarek red card situations with VAR. How anyone can watch the Soucek event and think it's a red is beyond me.

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Klopp's losing it. Gets rattled at a genuine, harmless question. 

Just ends up wasting time saying the same thing as well. 

reminds me of what pearson was like here, fans loved him but his interviews were embarrassing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Get refs from around Europe or the world in. 

Different style, different quality and may shake things up a bit. 

(understand in current environment it's not possible and logistically difficult anyway) 

Foreign refs are as bad if not worse. Spanish, Turkish and Italian refereeing is particularly bad. French officiating tends to be the best. But England believe it or not has a better standard than most. Refereeing isn't an easy job as they are having to constantly rule on subjective decisions under massive pressure.

Why anyone would want to become a Premier League referee is beyond me. They are under enormous pressure to get every decision right and when they don't they are scrutinised intently by pundits. They are aggressively verbally abused on the touchline by managers and coaching staff, shown no respect on the field by the majority of players who then try to cheat and con them with their antics. Football needs to take a big look at itself. I do agree some referees do themselves no favours, but VAR which was supposed to support them and help them in their decision making, but has put them in the spotlight even more.

I would like greater consistency with VAR, but that's the fault of those interpreting the laws, not the system and it would perhaps be better to have former players working with VAR to advise the referee in the VAR centre.