Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

There is something seriously wrong with football and it’s supporters. Yes I get frustrated and I will for a few hrs maybe a day ... but this , the racial abuse, racial inequality is beyond unacceptable. I seriously worry about the state of mind of some supporters given the threats made. This country is going down the bin. 

2 minutes ago, casablancas said:

There is something seriously wrong with football and it’s supporters. Yes I get frustrated and I will for a few hrs maybe a day ... but this , the racial abuse, racial inequality is beyond unacceptable. I seriously worry about the state of mind of some supporters given the threats made. This country is going down the bin. 

Football is a conductor not a cause of racist behaviours. I mean, they can’t even play proper football in the US and they are racist.

6 minutes ago, Simonb said:

reminds me of what pearson was like here, fans loved him but his interviews were embarrassing

Yeah, but Pearson was usually right. Even the 'Ostrich' thing was a bit of comeuppance for a media narrative that decided we were already relegated by Christmas.

I'll never forget one of the pundits on MOTD (think it was Danny Murphy) asking 'why we were even celebrating' after our last-gasp win against West Ham that started the Great Escape.

Where they're similar is that they used that prickly media image to protect their players or deflect negativity. I'd say that Klopp's behavior since the downturn in their form seems, if anything, more erratic, unwarranted and unpleasant, bar the fact that he hasn't choked anyone publicly yet.

2 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Racism is rife in football. That’s not even beyond doubt mate. 

Was not disputing that, more it has a societal cause rather than it originating in football. It is exposed in a very raw in football due to its tribalistic nature.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Why anyone would want to become a Premier League referee is beyond me. They are under enormous pressure to get every decision right and when they don't they are scrutinised intently by pundits. They are aggressively verbally abused on the touchline by managers and coaching staff, shown no respect on the field by the majority of players who then try to cheat and con them with their antics. Football needs to take a big look at itself. I do agree some referees do themselves no favours, but VAR which was supposed to support them and help them in their decision making, but has put them in the spotlight even more.

I would like greater consistency with VAR, but that's the fault of those interpreting the laws, not the system and it would perhaps be better to have former players working with VAR to advise the referee in the VAR centre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Yeah, but Pearson was usually right. Even the 'Ostrich' thing was a bit of comeuppance for a media narrative that decided we were already relegated by Christmas.

I'll never forget one of the pundits on MOTD (think it was Danny Murphy) asking 'why we were even celebrating' after our last-gasp win against West Ham that started the Great Escape.

Where they're similar is that they used that prickly media image to protect their players or deflect negativity. I'd say that Klopp's behavior since the downturn in their form seems, if anything, more erratic, unwarranted and unpleasant, bar the fact that he hasn't choked anyone publicly yet.

yea when you put it like that you're right

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

A really potent point - and one to an extent I agree with. My frustration is that like Pawson his decision making/officiating is erratic, inconsistent and often excessive as the Soucek incident was ample testimony to. It's as though he regards himself as bigger than the game. Some said the same of Clattenburg - difference being he was technically very sound and dependable. 

The Soucek incident wasn’t about mike dean, it wasn’t highlighting anything about his refereeing ability. 

What it highlighted was the bigger issue in the game, the union of refs. The reason mike dean was there for so long was because he didn’t agree it was a red card. I think the issue was that he didn’t want to go against the var referees. Every single monitor situation has been the same, the refs don’t want to go against what there mates have said. 

I also think an element of doubt creeps in. If 2 of your peers say it’s a red and you don’t think it is, you start to think that they are probably correct. 

as much as it usually is the mile dean show, that wasn’t what it was yesterday. That was someone caught in a hard place and I think watching it you could see he didn’t agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Blows my mind that some people still can’t see that Klopp is a nasty twat. Went out of his way to belittle and humiliate that guy. 

Doubt we'll see Pat Murphy turn up at Klopp's next presser with an axe to grind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

Ah yeah, I remember in the good old days when everyone was polite and there was no abuse, what an uncivilised nation we're becoming.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

The Soucek incident wasn’t about mike dean, it wasn’t highlighting anything about his refereeing ability. 

What it highlighted was the bigger issue in the game, the union of refs. The reason mike dean was there for so long was because he didn’t agree it was a red card. I think the issue was that he didn’t want to go against the var referees. Every single monitor situation has been the same, the refs don’t want to go against what there mates have said. 

I also think an element of doubt creeps in. If 2 of your peers say it’s a red and you don’t think it is, you start to think that they are probably correct. 

as much as it usually is the mile dean show, that wasn’t what it was yesterday. That was someone caught in a hard place and I think watching it you could see he didn’t agree. 

That's interesting. Really good point. Is this what Dean himself has fed back? because I'm only basing this upon my impression at the time - and of course, his propensity for controversial decisions. How have you established this?

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don't understand this, if they are saying it's a red why are they sending him to the monitor. It's either a red card, they say it's a red and he sends them off. Or they aren't sure, so they are leaving it down to the ref, in which case he uses the monitor. 

Why would they say, it's a red, have a look at the monitor?

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That's interesting. Really good point. Is this what Dean himself has fed back? because I'm only basing this upon my impression at the time - and of course, his propensity for controversial decisions. How have you established this?

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't understand this, if they are saying it's a red why are they sending him to the monitor. It's either a red card, they say it's a red and he sends them off. Or they aren't sure, so they are leaving it down to the ref, in which case he uses the monitor. 

Why would they say, it's a red, have a look at the monitor?

From my understanding the call to the monitor is essentially the var saying we think it’s a red but want to give you the chance to save face.  Unless a decision is completely obvious. 

There have been plenty of calls that would be worthy of the monitor that never get there.. which leads me to believe the monitor is when they have already decided it’s a call. I think this is why we haven’t seen a single decision overturned once they’ve looked on the monitor. If they look the decision will be made. 

To me, I though he looked very unsure and even uncomfortable giving the red. Something he usually takes great pleasure in doing. 

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

As it “didn’t matter “ guess  not although Souness called it a dive much to the charging of Liverpool fans . 

Well atleast souness called it out, and if he was willing to call a Liverpool player out for a dive then I assume nobody's tried to defend it (bar their weirdo twitter army) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

He is decent but didn't he just award the Salah penalty?

If only one ref is viewed as decent, this suggests that our collective expectations of refereeing is way too high Football is played at high speed, with many moving parts, and is full of opinions. It's perhaps surprising refs don't make more mistakes

1 hour ago, MGLCFC said:

perhaps be better to have former players working with VAR to advise the referee in the VAR centre

We have former players as pundits and they are as guilty as anyone for legitimising cheating with their 'he got a touch' and 'takes one for the team'

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, davieG said:

He is decent but didn't he just award the Salah penalty?

I guess none of them will ever be perfect, mistakes will get made, just Oliver seems to make less of them and show less obvious bias. He doesn;t make the games about him unlike the likes of Dean and that twat Moss.

• Like 1