Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Hamza

1 minute ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I’d have Hamza over Mendy. I think Hamza was quality away in Athens and was decent enough today too.

Mendy in the team slows everything down and we look turgid going forward. We look free flowing in every europa league games and better with Hamza.

Hamza has his limitations too but is better than Mendy for me, but still miles behind Wilf. Wilf is far above both of them but Hamza is first cover for me.

There's been discussons on how Ndidi gets back in ahead of Mendy, obviously most want Ndidi but think Mendy the better option when we don't need a destroyer.

Not sure how many would agree if you started an Ndidi or Hamza chat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

You always pick on Mendy. FFS. He was shit at going foward against Man City and Leeds wasn't he? 🙄

I’m not picking on Mendy I’m just answering what I honestly think when asked what about Mendy.

For me Hamza is better than Mendy and I’d prefer him. I’m sure you think different and It’s fine to agree to disagree.

Wilf Is miles better than both anyway so it’s irrelevant, can’t wait to have him back!

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I’d have Hamza over Mendy. I think Hamza was quality away in Athens and was decent enough today too.

Mendy in the team slows everything down and we look turgid going forward. We look free flowing in every europa league games and better with Hamza.

Hamza has his limitations too but is better than Mendy for me, but still miles behind Wilf. Wilf is far above both of them but Hamza is first cover for me.

Mendy is a far superior player, Hamza may develop into a top player at some point but at present lacks imagination. 

2 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He is very limited with the ball. Almost always lateral. He's tidy, has lots of energy and combative. But to develop, he needs to spot the odd forward pass. Even CDMs need to be able to use the ball. In this area I think both Wilf & Mendy are better.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I'm happy he's getting game time. He's young. He needs to improve. He needs game time to improve. He won't improve from the bench.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Mendy is a far superior player, Hamza may develop into a top player at some point but at present lacks imagination. 

Hamza is third choice CDM right now but can come in and 'do a job' and, as others have said, is gaining experience.

He not long turned 23 and has made 50+ apps for us.

(I appreciate Tielemans is marginally older and played loads more)

He's still developing and, hopefully, learning from those better players around him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hamza is third choice CDM right now but can come in and 'do a job' and, as others have said, is gaining experience.

He not long turned 23 and has made 50+ apps for us.

(I appreciate Tielemans is marginally older and played loads more)

He's still developing and, hopefully, learning from those better players around him.

He is in a fantastic environment learn, surrounded by top players & working with a top manager. I think he can get there but needs to dial it down a bit with his tackling.

If Rodgers is the manager and coach I want him to be, then Hamza will become the player I want him to become.  

Potentially, Hamza is England's best holding midfielder in a long time.  Barca tried to get him when he was 16.

In the last 18 months, his progression has slowed  I still think he could be brilliant.

Edited by majaco
Typo changed intended meaning
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

What does he actually do? I’d like people to tell me what he actually does? Every time he plays he needs carrying and that limits us going forward and why we get crowded out. He’s a passenger who needs extra support which limits us in other areas.

Hamza is poor on the ball but at least he hassles mistakes into opposition and isn’t just walked through so pathetically.

Being poor on the ball is not good when you are a footballer. I am not saying that he won't develop but he is not Premier league quality yet.

Edited by gurru991

17 minutes ago, majaco said:

If Rodgers is the manager and coach I want him to be, then Hamza will become the player I want him to become.  

Potentially, Hamza is England's best holding midfielder in a long time.  Barca tried to get him when he was 16.

In the last 18 months, his progression has shown.  I still think he could be brilliant.

Really? I never heard that, must of missed that. Doesn’t surprise me though because I’ve always thought he’s had something about him but ultimately lacks, mainly for me in his positioning and understanding.

Potentially he can improve though and why I’d prefer him above Mendy as back up when Wilf comes in.

9 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Being poor on the ball is not good when you are a footballer. I am not saying that he won't develop but he is not Premier league quality yet.

Hes not terrible though but just limited. However he has potential to be a decent midfielder as he has good physical attributes.

5 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

For me comparing Hamza to Wilf and Mendy is just wrong. Hamza's game is far too aggressive to play in the screening position, which requires discipline. I think we would see a different Hamza playing alongside Tielemans and Mendy/Wilf.

...I keep saying it, what you have seen in Hamzas' game is not the real Hamza!!!

Since he came into the team he is playing like action man, he is not, seen him enough in the U23s and he knits the midfield well, nothing spectacular and definitely not rash.

He needs to add a vision, to spot and release a ball to the forwards and take a bit more responsibility with the ball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majaco said:

In the last 18 months, his progression has shown.  I still think he could be brilliant.

^ The only problem with this is he has absolutely none of the attributes of a top holding midfielder. Not shitting on the lad but that’s the reality of it and that’s why he’s 3rd in the pecking order right now.

4 minutes ago, les-tah said:

^ The only problem with this is he has absolutely none of the attributes of a top holding midfielder. Not shitting on the lad but that’s the reality of it and that’s why he’s 3rd in the pecking order right now.

Harry Winks

I suggest everyone watches Hamza in isolation when we have possession - it’s hugely frustrating. The defence will have the ball and be looking for a central midfield to come deep. Mendy and Wilf create angles off the press to collect the ball. Hamza doesn’t. He bystands. In this way he’s not a true defensive midfielder

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I suggest everyone watches Hamza in isolation when we have possession - it’s hugely frustrating. The defence will have the ball and be looking for a central midfield to come deep. Mendy and Wilf create angles off the press to collect the ball. Hamza doesn’t. He bystands. In this way he’s not a true defensive midfielder

If we're being honest the same happened with wilf some times last year where soyuncu and evans ended up passing it between each other 50 times because he wasnt making himself available. People will only point it out with choudhury and not ndidi because they dont like choudhury and overanalyse him whilst overlooking the weaknesses of others.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I presume, then, that you don't mind me having an opinion and saying what I think too. I've not seen Mendy 'carried', I've not seen him 'limit' us, I've not seen him 'walked through pathetically'. I've not seen this mysterious 'extra support' you propose either. I've seen him clearly contribute, break up attacks, break up the press often and, just as importantly, I've seen and inferred that he's very well respected by his colleagues. I'm hardly alone in this, either, so although you might be that much more perceptive than a number of us in this matter, my money is elsewhere.

That Klopp identified him as part of the fulcrum of the team is far more indicative of his quality. Perhaps if you hadn't started from the rather extreme position of claiming that Mendy is 'sub-Championship' quality when you first gave your opinion on the matter, you might get heard more. But I stand by my position on this - you've made your bed on the matter, and now you'll lie in it, however uncomfortable it may be.

Your entitled to your opinion in the same way I am and it’s fine to agree to disagree. 
So I’d like to know what he actually does for us?

Id also like to know why you think we averaged over 9 chances a game last season, which included those dreadful months. Even over 8 a game in 18/19 under Puel, yet this season barely 5 a game, which will now be lower as that was before the Liverpool game?

Whats worse is that’s including pens and we’ve had so many, so from open the stats are even worse.

A huge drop off from the last few seasons and without checking the stats on other teams, I’d guess one of the worst teams in the Premier league.
Mendy limits us going forward because he’s like a passenger and means we need more players in the middle to compensate or we get run over. If we play more in the middle to compensate for him, it leaves Maddison dropping deeper and not in the areas to create and Vardy living off scraps because we have less bodies forward.l, food and drink for teams as they know they just need to crowd Vardy out.

If we commit more forward and leave Mendy as a 2 with Tielemens we get absolutely run over because they both can’t get about the pitch and defend. YT is in to create though as he’s the only guy who can pass, what’s Mendy in for?

It happened Vs West Ham Villa and Liverpool badly. 2nd half vs Wolves we were embarrassing and were lucky to get a pen which allowed us to sh*thouse.

Last season we created so much more, Mendy didn’t play. He played one game vs Brighton all season and coincidentally was probably the worst performance of the season with not a single chance all game.

We also havnt played him in a Europa league game this year and have scored goals for fun and look much better. He’s holding back what can be a great team.

Mendy is one of those players that people disingenuously say played well in a bid to appear that they understand the game better than everyone else but if they actually watch the games I’d like them to tell me what he does?

38 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Your entitled to your opinion in the same way I am and it’s fine to agree to disagree. 
So I’d like to know what he actually does for us?

Id also like to know why you think we averaged over 9 chances a game last season, which included those dreadful months. Even over 8 a game in 18/19 under Puel, yet this season barely 5 a game, which will now be lower as that was before the Liverpool game?

Whats worse is that’s including pens and we’ve had so many, so from open the stats are even worse.

A huge drop off from the last few seasons and without checking the stats on other teams, I’d guess one of the worst teams in the Premier league.
Mendy limits us going forward because he’s like a passenger and means we need more players in the middle to compensate or we get run over. If we play more in the middle to compensate for him, it leaves Maddison dropping deeper and not in the areas to create and Vardy living off scraps because we have less bodies forward.l, food and drink for teams as they know they just need to crowd Vardy out.

If we commit more forward and leave Mendy as a 2 with Tielemens we get absolutely run over because they both can’t get about the pitch and defend. YT is in to create though as he’s the only guy who can pass, what’s Mendy in for?

It happened Vs West Ham Villa and Liverpool badly. 2nd half vs Wolves we were embarrassing and were lucky to get a pen which allowed us to sh*thouse.

Last season we created so much more, Mendy didn’t play. He played one game vs Brighton all season and coincidentally was probably the worst performance of the season with not a single chance all game.

We also havnt played him in a Europa league game this year and have scored goals for fun and look much better. He’s holding back what can be a great team.

Mendy is one of those players that people disingenuously say played well in a bid to appear that they understand the game better than everyone else but if they actually watch the games I’d like them to tell me what he does?

Yeah it’s down to Mendy and not having to play more defensive and change our style because we’ve had loads of players out injured. Including our two first choice full backs, which last season was integral to how we played.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah it’s down to Mendy and not having to play more defensive and change our style because we’ve had loads of players out injured. Including our two first choice full backs, which last season was integral to how we played.

You appear to be bidding to appear that you understand the game Babs - how very disingenuous of you.