Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

James Maddison - 4 year deal, £110k per week

57 minutes ago, Gerard said:

What wage do you think he should be on?

£75k would be about right. Not had the sort of season where you can say he's earned more than that imo. Clearly though this is so we can demand more either next summer or the one after

Wilf and Ricardo are on £75k p/W, I can't justify him being on more than those 2

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

£75k would be about right. Not had the sort of season where you can say he's earned more than that imo. Clearly though this is so we can demand more either next summer or the one after

Wilf and Ricardo are on £75k p/W, I can't justify him being on more than those 2

Agree, we always seem to offer silly money, but I suppose that is all we have to offer him over champions league sides who are allegedly interested in him.

Agree he’s no where near the quality of Ricardo and no where as important as wilf yet, so maybe time to offer them terms to keep them board at the club, as players soon get the hump if fellow starters are paid vastly more than them, without being more influential than them 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Overrated. 6 goals and 3 assists in 2019/2020. Not sure what the pundits are on but they keep saying how creative he is and “all” the goals and assist he scored/made before he was injured - then it becomes gospel truth to fans and others. Self fulfilling except it is not true. Considering he takes all the corners and freekicks and is given such a free/important role by BR the stats are really poor. He is a decent player but does not deserve 110k or any higher than Wilf or Ricardo.

Can do more of course but that's not to say he's not creative at all. He can lay chances up on a plate sometimes. Not his fault if the finish isn't made. 

We've managed to tie down a talented and effective player and if that means clubs may have to pay more at whatever point, then so be it. But he's our player contracted as such now for longer than when he first signed. 

Glad he's signed and if it's true about him being inconsolable and devastated at the defeat yesterday then that shows how much he wanted us to succeed and do well. I don't mind that. 

19 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Overrated. 6 goals and 3 assists in 2019/2020. Not sure what the pundits are on but they keep saying how creative he is and “all” the goals and assist he scored/made before he was injured - then it becomes gospel truth to fans and others. Self fulfilling except it is not true. Considering he takes all the corners and freekicks and is given such a free/important role by BR the stats are really poor. He is a decent player but does not deserve 110k or any higher than Wilf or Ricardo.

5th most chances created in the league mate. You've got to take that into consideration. 

45 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How much would you expect to get if we sold him this summer?

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Not many £50m-60m sign for £75k a week though. We can't have it both ways.

No I get that. He's one of those players that the media hype without him actually playing that great consistently. As I said he's nowhere near as important to us as the likes of Wilf or Ricardo 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Corky said:

Apparently he was inconsolable after yesterday. Lots of reports too that he's been very vocal and encouraging to the players at the matches, and I think he speaks very well in the media. 

He's still got improving to do as a player but I like his attitude from what I've seen and heard.

Nah mate he's got a shite attitude. Haven't you seen the bag he has!?!?!?!!

5 hours ago, M0901 said:

5th most chances created in the league mate. You've got to take that into consideration. 

By comparison, Vardy has 5 assists together with his 23 goals. And he does not take corners or freekicks to help add to his “chances” created and spends much of the time just running around.

I am not saying he is a bad player, but this is exactly one of the reasons for the “creativity” hype around him - and it seems BR is also blinded by this - resulting in square pegs trying to be put through round holes. Well discussed on other threads by now and one of the reasons for our capitulation since Dec/Jan. We rely on certain players to do oversized or unnatural jobs for the team, resulting in poor team chemistry and boring predictable football (again well discussed on other threads).  Maddison is great near a front two (eg. near Vardy and Nachos) with his quick feet. But BR relies on him as the football maestro from deep thinking he is a playmaker like De Bruyne. This is a bit like Maguire - there was so much hype around him as he is the world’s best CB when in fact he constantly got caught out (now fans can see that more objectively as he is at Man Utd) - if he didn’t leave, I bet you Brendon would still be relying on him as such and we would not have seen much of Soyuncu and some fans would be saying what a waste of a signing he was while praising Maguire as one of the best CBs in the EPL quoting some stats. Same thing here. I am not saying Maddison is bad, and I like the guy, but knowing more about Brendon he will no doubt continue to overly use him at the expense of others and team chemistry: 2020 is proof (and I have been saying this for a while and not just in the last few games). 

Having said all that, I wish he can stay too and I guess this may be the price to keep him here longer, but hopefully not at the expense of causing disharmony amongst others like Ricardo and Ndidi.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

No I get that. He's one of those players that the media hype without him actually playing that great consistently. As I said he's nowhere near as important to us as the likes of Wilf or Ricardo 

Grealish gets far more hype and his best stats are getting fouled most. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nnickn said:

If we are paying Madders 110, and Vardy 130, we are absolutely raping Vardy

Having said that, what the fck do they do with it all?

I've always wondered that, surely it gets to the point where you can't spend it all and you just never check your money. I reckon they just do what they want knowing your card will never decline and never really even think about money. 

6 hours ago, nnickn said:

If we are paying Madders 110, and Vardy 130, we are absolutely raping Vardy

Having said that, what the fck do they do with it all?

6 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I've always wondered that, surely it gets to the point where you can't spend it all and you just never check your money. I reckon they just do what they want knowing your card will never decline and never really even think about money. 

These guys aren't gonna be working after retirement. This is basically their pension fund. The Vardy family js gonna live off these millions til he's about 87 and passes away. 

Its sad seeing footballers from the 60s, 70s & 80s who are skint and working as cab drivers or postmen (nothing wrong with those honourable professions) but it would been better if they had made enough money from football to live off it for the rest of their lives.

8 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Half of it goes on tax, so Vardy is probably pulling in about £3m a year after tax. Probably invest a lot of it because there's a good chance he's got 50+ years ahead of him after finishing his playing career. Must be very weird knowing you earn such obscene money but that it comes to an instant halt once you finish playing, some are fortunate in pursuing a managerial career and picking up a decent wage again if they make it in to the top 2 divisions but for the rest they're lifestyles have to be changed quite quickly, otherwise they're in for a spot of bother once the money runs out.

This isn't really about the here and now this is about protecting our club's assets for the future. It is sad the way football has gone but us failing to make the top 4 shows how difficult it is to do and how hard it will be in then future for clubs our size to keep our best players for very long. This sort of deal is needed to protect our finacial future for we will sell him to a bigger club at some point and we need as much bargaining power as we can get.

He's a very good player and losing him to injury took away a great deal of creativity when we really needed it. He gets a lot of criticism but we really need more players of his calibre to progress.

Edited by reynard

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Half of it goes on tax, so Vardy is probably pulling in about £3m a year after tax. Probably invest a lot of it because there's a good chance he's got 50+ years ahead of him after finishing his playing career. Must be very weird knowing you earn such obscene money but that it comes to an instant halt once you finish playing, some are fortunate in pursuing a managerial career and picking up a decent wage again if they make it in to the top 2 divisions but for the rest they're lifestyles have to be changed quite quickly, otherwise they're in for a spot of bother once the money runs out.

The thing is with ex professionals at Vardys level is if he gets in trouble he always will be able to find some kind of work whether it’s media, coaching, speeches or selling his souls for adverts. I think it’s the level down that really have to worry about life after football. 

• Like 2