Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

James Maddison - 4 year deal, £110k per week

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Half of it goes on tax, so Vardy is probably pulling in about £3m a year after tax. Probably invest a lot of it because there's a good chance he's got 50+ years ahead of him after finishing his playing career. Must be very weird knowing you earn such obscene money but that it comes to an instant halt once you finish playing, some are fortunate in pursuing a managerial career and picking up a decent wage again if they make it in to the top 2 divisions but for the rest they're lifestyles have to be changed quite quickly, otherwise they're in for a spot of bother once the money runs out.

I get what you say, but imo, unless you literally throw money out the windows (I know it can happen), you won't end skint.

Most of them earn in one week what the average Joe does in one year. Let alone the bonuses, sponsorships, etc. These guys, and their kids, are comfortably set for life before they even retire. We're not in the 60-80's anymore, the PL wages nowadays are insane and most of them have financial advisors who help them manage their money and get the best out of it. And there's always a (good) job for them around the corner.

I know they have a different style of life, and therefore higher expenses, compared to us mere mortals, some of their habits might change after the retirement but they'll still stay on the sunny side of life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I get what you say, but imo, unless you literally throw money out the windows (I know it can happen), you won't end skint.

Most of them earn in one week what the average Joe does in one year. Let alone the bonuses, sponsorships, etc. These guys, and their kids, are comfortably set for life before they even retire. We're not in the 60-80's anymore, the PL wages nowadays are insane and most of them have financial advisors who help them manage their money and get the best out of it. And there's always a (good) job for them around the corner.

I know they have a different style of life, and therefore higher expenses, compared to us mere mortals, some of their habits might change after the retirement but they'll still stay on the sunny side of life.

The thing about 'it stops when they stop playing' is hardly applicable, either. 

If Jamie Vardy wants a job in, for arguments sake, a furniture store when he's done playing then which shop is going to turn him down? Great publicity having an ex footballer. This will apply to tonnes of jobs - they're desirable employees. 

Footballers have zero plight when it comes to wages and employment during and after life in football. 

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

If Jamie Vardy wants a job in, for arguments sake, a furniture store when he's done playing then which shop is going to turn him down? Great publicity having an ex footballer. This will apply to tonnes of jobs - they're desirable employees. 

Footballers have zero plight when it comes to wages and employment during and after life in football. 

At Vardy's level I agree. 

But what about, say, if Spencer Prior rocked up for a job right now? Or Matty Fryatt? How long does their star appeal last? 

If anything that level of footballer has it worst. Well enough known to be remembered and having the ignominy of having to work with 'normal' people. At least if you were an unknown league 1 bit part player, nobody expects you to not be working

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Any player with half a brain should be putting away a load of what they earn and through shrewd investments they will be very well off for the remainder of their life but it may still be a culture shock to simply go from being a massive, massive earner to no longer having that hit your account month in, month out and mentally how they operate with that. Being a high earner for several years during your 20's and 30's doesn't automatically teach these people essential life skills either and this is where some of them fall foul after their playing career, but I suppose it happens to ordinary folk who's lifestyle and circumstances change and they struggle to know how to act properly.

We're talking about somebody earning £5-6m a year gross for several years, even if they then get a job in football or media on a 10th of that it's a big lifestyle change however alien it all sounds. Players that have their heads screwed on plan for this not just physically but mentally. You can have many million invested or set up to do something with as an alternative career but mentally the huge change from being a player and the money and buzz that creates has to be handled well and it's not something I can particularly comprehend. People cut their cloth accordingly and I imagine high earners are exactly the same, I've certainly been baffled at how much I used to waste before I had a house and kids and that's human nature on how you try and adapt and behave but I do think people like footballers it's easy to see how some of them crash and burn after their playing days are finished.

Fair points. I agree with you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We're talking about somebody earning £5-6m a year gross for several years, even if they then get a job in football or media on a 10th of that it's a big lifestyle change however alien it all sounds. Players that have their heads screwed on plan for this not just physically but mentally. You can have many million invested or set up to do something with as an alternative career but mentally the huge change from being a player and the money and buzz that creates has to be handled well and it's not something I can particularly comprehend. People cut their cloth accordingly and I imagine high earners are exactly the same, I've certainly been baffled at how much I used to waste before I had a house and kids and that's human nature on how you try and adapt and behave but I do think people like footballers it's easy to see how some of them crash and burn after their playing days are finishe

From what I've listened to through various podcasts with pro players in, there's a lot more education and help around player's managing money and preparing for life after football than there was

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Footballers have zero plight when it comes to wages and employment during and after life in football

Think you'll find there is ample evidence to contradict your assumptions.....especially after the ex wife has had her dibs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Half of it goes on tax, so Vardy is probably pulling in about £3m a year after tax. Probably invest a lot of it because there's a good chance he's got 50+ years ahead of him after finishing his playing career. Must be very weird knowing you earn such obscene money but that it comes to an instant halt once you finish playing, some are fortunate in pursuing a managerial career and picking up a decent wage again if they make it in to the top 2 divisions but for the rest they're lifestyles have to be changed quite quickly, otherwise they're in for a spot of bother once the money runs out.

I think Vardy will either become a manager or a mentor with his foundation, he'll stay in football in some capacity.

On 27/07/2020 at 04:19, RGFox said:

Good for the short term, for next season but the reality is he will be off next summer as he will want CL football. HM did a similar thing prior to leaving. 

I would argue his play the 2nd half of the season was a big reason why there will be no CL football in 20-21.  He dropped off a cliff after a terrific fall.

I suppose they had to do it but he needs to be more consistent.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TeaMen Tom said:

I would argue his play the 2nd half of the season was a big reason why there will be no CL football in 20-21.  He dropped off a cliff after a terrific fall.

I suppose they had to do it but he needs to be more consistent.

Definitely played a part in the demise, no goals or assists since New Years Day is honking.

• Haha 1

It's all part of the game I guess. The haters are always gonna hate. As long as the boy gets his head down now in training and puts in the sort of performances we know he is capable of on a regular basis than I have no issues. He's got his big pay day now he needs to step up and do his part.

The career trajectory of a successful football player is pretty simple; keep playing well and the money and fame will come and so will inevitable offers to join bigger and bigger clubs and the trophies and accolades will come. He's smart enough to know that by now.

8 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Ornstein seems adamant its a 4 year deal, mail now saying its 5. Would be surprised if its 4.

He has got this wrong. Wes’s is 4 years, Matty’s 6 years with option for another 10 and Madders 4 years. 

That’s a big gamble for a young player, newish to the prem, and not a bad player, but not set the world alight either to warrant that sort of money, still has a lot to prove.

On this thinking we should be offer wilf 150 a week, and Ricardo 200 grand a week 

• Haha 1