Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Nigel Pearson: Here and Now

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

What did Pearson win of note?

If you say League 1 and the Championship.

Ranieri won Serie B x 2, Serie C x 1, Ligue 2 x 1

So finishing 2nd to the Arsenal "The Invincibles" resulting in the best league placing for the club in 49 years at the time and losing a CL semi-final is nothing?  In his four seasons at Chelsea they improved their points total season on season.

Well he signed Lampard from West Ham for a start lol

Ranieri identified Didier Drogba, and has spoken about this in interviews in the media! If this wasn't true I'm sure Jose would have a lot to say about it.

Cech signed for Chelsea in February 2004 whilst Ranieri was still manager although he didn't move from Rennes to London until the summer.

Not many average managers manage Juventus, Inter Milan, Atlético Madrid, Chelsea.......

Pearson hasn’t had opportunities to win anything major as he hasn’t had a top job. He may of won the Premier league given the chance.

He came 2nd because the summer before Roman spent millions on anyone he wanted. Arguably he should of won the Premier League with that squad. 2nd place was nothing to right home about.
03/04 was a weak league, 03/04 was probably Man Utds worst season of all Sir Alex history, Liverpool were declining fast and needed A fresh manager. It’s not anything to right home about getting 2nd With those finances and that team.

Also getting to a semi of a CL is also not a great achievement in that season.

If anything it was poor and it was a CL there for them to win, if he hasn’t bottled it vs Monaco then he might of saved his job by beating Jose’s Porto in the final. It showed his level, An average manager.

Not many managers have those clubs in their CV and have nothing to show from it , title wise. 
Hes a nice guy but he’s an average manager.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I can do this little context all opinion thing as well

A big reason for Pearsons success here was the owners. They spent millions on almost any staff or players he wanted and should have won the (always poor) Championship title in 12/13 with the squad he had. Was there for him to win if he hadnt bottled it subsequently scraping into the playoffs and eventually crashing out in the worst possible way. Not a great achievement in that season. Poor. Nothing to write home about. 

Not many 'Top Coaches' have near relegations at Watford and a Belgian second tier team (prevented by the sack). And this level of ability is partly what prevents him from getting even close to 'Top Jobs'.

Pearson did a great job for us but this constant attemp by some people to paint Ranieri as some sort of lucky, successful version of Peter Taylor whilst also painting Pearson as the reincarnation of Alex Ferguson with only his sons misbehaviour preventing his destiny of winning the ultimate prize is utter BS.

They were like 7 points adrift when he took over at Watford. He did a fantastic job there, no right to keep them up.

How did Ranieri do at Fulham?

Pearson did well enough to build in 12/13. We were clearly not as good as Watford , yet were a penalty away from getting to the final.

Just like 09/10 , we were in the playoffs with such an average squad, overachieved hugely.

This is why he’s a top manager, because he gets the very best out his players and never goes down without a fight.

Ranieri was ok when it was all there for him l. Keep playing the same 11 and keep the media laughing and happy with ‘ring my bell dilly ding dilly dong’ jokes.

Hes like your lovely friendly uncle , top bloke, good for the game and a true gentleman.

However when he had the chance to build on a title win and he had to build his own success, he ruined it and would of got us relegated.

Edited by deanolegend1989
  • Thanks 2

On 22/08/2020 at 14:00, coolhandfox said:

Not many average managers manage Juventus, Inter Milan, Atlético Madrid, Chelsea.......

20 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

You can add Valencia, Roma, Napoli, Fiorentina, Parma, Monaco and Sampdoria to those names. As well as the mighty Leicester City.

and never won a league title until us.........shocking

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

They were like 7 points adrift when he took over at Watford. He did a fantastic job there, no right to keep them up.

How did Ranieri do at Fulham?

Pearson did well enough to build in 12/13. We were clearly not as good as Watford , yet were a penalty away from getting to the final.

Just like 09/10 , we were in the playoffs with such an average squad, overachieved hugely.

This is why he’s a top manager, because he gets the very best out his players and never goes down without a fight.

Ranieri was ok when it was all there for him l. Keep playing the same 11 and keep the media laughing and happy with ‘ring my bell dilly ding dilly dong’ jokes.

Watford were far from the worst side in the division. A top manager would have kept them up even with the seven point deficit. Especially one who makes players better than they are.

If his side in 12/13 did over achieve in making the playoffs it was due to the fact he had managed them so miserably for half the season!

His time at Derby and Leuven and their improvements after his sacking seem to show that he doesn't get the very best out of his players and their struggles under him suggest they lacked fight as well, much like Watford getting stuffed by a crap West Ham in his final do or die game there.

Pearson is decent when hes got everything set up exactly as he likes, plays the same 11 and has Walsh to scout the right players for him. Hes not had that since he left and its shown.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

What did he mention about it?

Spoke of unfinished business. Knows he was building something positive at Watford given where they started and the players reacted to that. 

Says he wasn't given the opportunity to say goodbye to the people he worked with. 

Little dig at the board as well that the revolving door may work for them but at some point the club needs consistency to move forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/08/2020 at 19:16, Gubbins said:

Watford were far from the worst side in the division. A top manager would have kept them up even with the seven point deficit. Especially one who makes players better than they are.

If his side in 12/13 did over achieve in making the playoffs it was due to the fact he had managed them so miserably for half the season!

His time at Derby and Leuven and their improvements after his sacking seem to show that he doesn't get the very best out of his players and their struggles under him suggest they lacked fight as well, much like Watford getting stuffed by a crap West Ham in his final do or die game there.

Pearson is decent when hes got everything set up exactly as he likes, plays the same 11 and has Walsh to scout the right players for him. Hes not had that since he left and its shown.

He has failed everywhere  apart from us   and apart from us been sacked everywhere for footballing reasons

I'm a newcomer to the forum and have commented how much pleasure reading JJ's and Harvey Barnes's forum posts gave me. I expected this to be more negative but it was just as much a pleasure to read. The "Voice of...." article was the highlight. Obviously written by Pearson himself, refreshingly free of bull shit and bragging. I think I'd have loved him as manager. Life so much depends on luck and he could so easily have ended up recognised by football in general as a great manager.I'm really glad he seems pretty satisfied with what he's achieved. If I get close to that I'll be happy especially as by now most of the forum must know I'd never have made a great manager:-). 

IMO LCFC have not yet had a really great manager. Lot of v. good ones though.Given luck Pearson might just have made our first, and currently I have high hopes of BR.

• 1 year later...