Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Nigel Pearson: Here and Now

22 hours ago, Stadt said:

I think what sets Nige apart is having two spells here. He’d done amazingly well with a deflated, almost broken club in 2008 and immediately had us within touching distance of the PL with a squad nowhere near that level.

He’d instilled a great culture which permeated through all the functions of the club and built a great squad of players with exactly the right personalities.

When he left for Hull, we totally abandoned what had made us great. After signing expensive dickheads we only looked any good again after Nige returned - we owe so much to him and his staff.

We are still just surfing the waves of the Nigel Pearson tsunami.

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

From Dyer to whenever Vardy leaves (hopefully not for another 3 years) that’s a span of 15 years. Remarkable the influence he’s had, the culture he engendered was killer look at how the rock bottom teams capitulate in the PL now. To stay up comfortably in 14/15 was  a great achievement considering where we were.

It’s remarkable, the influence he has had, I know he didn’t sign Kasper but he still carries the torch too.

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

Mahrez and Vardy turned draws into losses and draws into wins, as did Ulloa and Morgan and Drinkwater and Okazaki and Huth and whoever else, even Nathan Dyer in one game. We also conceded goals like a sieve even with Kante in the team before we changed our full backs.

Kante was great, but to suggest he was the difference and basically a one man team is just nonsense.

Saying a player was 8/10 does not mean he won games on his own, it just means he was consistent.

“It’s my opinion” is the first refuge of someone who knows he’s wrong.

It absolutely isn’t opinion and can absolutely be proven false - go through our goals and see how few actually came from the cliche counter-attacks which Kante supposedly started, maybe only 2 or 3 the whole season. He was excellent at protecting the defence, but the defence themselves were also awesome and Kante wasn’t the one winning headers or making blocks, he didn’t telepathically control Morgan or Huth. We absolutely would not have won the league without Vardy and Mahrez and about 8 other players besides, regardless of how Kante played.

As great as Kante was, he’s become overrated, he was light years off being a one man team and being a player who won games on his own.

Weird that we were nowhere near the season after with those other players

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

Mahrez and Vardy turned draws into losses and draws into wins, as did Ulloa and Morgan and Drinkwater and Okazaki and Huth and whoever else, even Nathan Dyer in one game. We also conceded goals like a sieve even with Kante in the team before we changed our full backs.

Kante was great, but to suggest he was the difference and basically a one man team is just nonsense.

Saying a player was 8/10 does not mean he won games on his own, it just means he was consistent.

“It’s my opinion” is the first refuge of someone who knows he’s wrong.

It absolutely isn’t opinion and can absolutely be proven false - go through our goals and see how few actually came from the cliche counter-attacks which Kante supposedly started, maybe only 2 or 3 the whole season. He was excellent at protecting the defence, but the defence themselves were also awesome and Kante wasn’t the one winning headers or making blocks, he didn’t telepathically control Morgan or Huth. We absolutely would not have won the league without Vardy and Mahrez and about 8 other players besides, regardless of how Kante played.

As great as Kante was, he’s become overrated, he was light years off being a one man team and being a player who won games on his own.

I can't imagine that anyone has said that.

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Nigel Pearson is in the top 5 city managers without doubt. 

Top 3 most likely. 

Top 1 I’d say! Took us at our lowest point I our history and built a team capable of winning the premier league! 

There are a few others who are up there, but it’ll always be King Nige for me…

Younger me loved what Brian Little did after what felt like an eternity of crap, then along came Sir Martin, and we all through that was the best our club was challenging in the top 10, winning league cups and playing in Europe. 
Nigel in what he achieved, from the point he started at, to where he left us is the greatest in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah the fact he came in and fixed us from years of absolute dross, then repeated the trick after we disgracefully let him walk to Hull in 2010. It's one of those where I wouldn't change any of the sequence given what did happen in 2016 but I've never been happier at an appointment than when he came back in 2011.

It used to genuinely hurt me when we lost under him. I don't know if it's an age thing but I don't feel that same hurt now. That's not even a dig at the current set up either. There was a particular connection to it - I think the phrase you're looking for is siege mentality. I love that trait in managers. It's the most fun way as a fan and it's also pretty effective too. **** everyone else. I love it.

But all this was done with a real purpose. You can only really build that kind of siege mentality if you know what kind of characters to bring into a club. He nailed it nearly every time.

I think this is where people warm to Pearson and not so much Rodgers despite the fact Rodgers has achieved a lot more in the game than Pearson is ever likely to. The comments made by many about how it's ridiculous the way people can speak about Pearson compared to Rodgers who has delivered Europe twice and an FA Cup - it makes sense and yet I totally see the other side of it.

The top thing I want in any manager going forwards is somebody who can really unite the fanbase and create a siege mentality.

I get what you're saying.  Yet the picture of Pearson is a little rosy.   Nigel was a good manager... with authority.  Yet he did divide us... while he was good in some areas (club structure..   hirining hard working players...) some other areas (like in game tactics) were poor.  Some fans were not happy...FOAD was his response.   I admit that  I was not too upset when the the fallout from the Bangkok trip led to him leaving.

But no one can say that he didnt do a great job for us...twice.

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

Weird that we were nowhere near the season after with those other players

Yes for a variety of reasons - because we originally tried to replace Kante with Amartey and Mendy. Which is a bit like trying to replace Vardy with Elvis Hammond. Because our momentum ending. Because we couldn’t handle playing the extra games with European football. Because Huth was half fit most of the following season. Because Ranieri tried to change the players training regimes and eating habits. Because our players found it hard to motivate themselves after reaching the summit.

Losing Kante hurt a lot too of course. Exactly as it would if we’d lost any of our key players, we would’ve fallen down the same if we’d have lost Vardy or Mahrez, at least until we found an adequate replacement with Ndidi. We’ve found it much tougher replacing Mahrez than Kante overall though I think. 

I mean there were so many games in the 2nd half of the season where we scored early from either a set piece or a piece of Vardy and Mahrez magic and then got players behind the ball and didn’t concede. Kante wasn’t the one “turning those draws into wins” anymore than the goal scorer or our back 5 were.

6 hours ago, Smudge said:

I can't imagine that anyone has said that.

Did you read the posts from the poster I’m quoting? It’s not an unpopular opinion among Leicester or non-Leicester fans either.

There’s been a definite campaign from some to try and make out Kante was basically a one man team and was the sole reason we won us the league, even trying to play down the contributions from the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Morgan.

Edited by Sampson

4 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I get what you're saying.  Yet the picture of Pearson is a little rosy.   Nigel was a good manager... with authority.  Yet he did divide us... while he was good in some areas (club structure..   hirining hard working players...) some other areas (like in game tactics) were poor.  Some fans were not happy...FOAD was his response.   I admit that  I was not too upset when the the fallout from the Bangkok trip led to him leaving.

But no one can say that he didnt do a great job for us...twice.

Yeah, usually the "dangerous tiger" types,  which in the nicest possible way makes their point of view moot. 

I have to admit, I was Pearson out during the great escape season, because I thought he’d taken us as far as he could and that we were going to get relegated.

How wrong I was….!

I look back generally very fondly on Pearson’s tenure. With his managerial team around him, they were pretty formidable. There was rarely a lack of effort amongst the players and they made some amazing signings. 
I didn’t ever really ‘warm’ to Pearson though. I found him prickly, especially in interviews where he could angry and awkward.

But I respect his managerial style actually. He took zero shite from anyone and clearly realised that the club had brought in some rubbish at vastly inflated prices (eg Matt Mills).

He did a massive amount for this club at a time when his no nonsense approach was absolutely what was needed.

I genuinely hope he replicates it at Bristol.

13 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I've been looking through the various iterations of Nige through his managerial career.

The Managers: Nigel Pearson: 2008-2010 | Football-Addict

1st Leicester spell Nige: Fresh faced but the baggy tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirt not doing him any favours. Notice the shoes, they're not quite the big, white breeze blocks we all know and love. 2/10

Leicester City reward manager Nigel Pearson with three-year contract |  Leicester City | The Guardian

2nd Leicester spell Nige: A bit more grey but the zip up bomber is bringing out that walking physique a bit more. 5/10

Nigel Pearson heads for the exit door at Derby after argument with owner |  Derby County | The Guardian

Derby County Nige: The first and only iteration with the beard. Don't understand why he got rid he looks badass. The half zip turquoise tracksuit is a decent fit. 8/10.

Nigel Pearson set to be fourth manager sacked by Watford this season - CGTN

Watford Nige: The hairs grown out and he's not afraid to show the guns. But that man rocks a gilet better than any man on Gods Earth. This is the ideal male form. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like. 9/10.

Nigel Pearson previews Cherries' trip to Bristol City | Bournemouth Echo

Bristol Nige: The glasses are an improvement and he has ditched the dress code with a new fit every week. But what is going on here? The Pep-esque modelling of the Bristol City merch shop is a downgrade. 7/10.

What's your favorite Nige fit through the years? Let me know.

His atire from his first time he was the best for me.

But don't forget his playing days.

John Sheridan scored for Wednesday in the Cup final but Nige was MOTM....

Nigel Pearson

Edited by Fox92
Oops

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I have to admit, I was Pearson out during the great escape season, because I thought he’d taken us as far as he could and that we were going to get relegated.

How wrong I was….!

I look back generally very fondly on Pearson’s tenure. With his managerial team around him, they were pretty formidable. There was rarely a lack of effort amongst the players and they made some amazing signings. 
I didn’t ever really ‘warm’ to Pearson though. I found him prickly, especially in interviews where he could angry and awkward.

But I respect his managerial style actually. He took zero shite from anyone and clearly realised that the club had brought in some rubbish at vastly inflated prices (eg Matt Mills).

He did a massive amount for this club at a time when his no nonsense approach was absolutely what was needed.

I genuinely hope he replicates it at Bristol.

Agree.

I think his awkwardness in some interviews was his nervousness.  He often avoided eye contact with an interviewer. 

I too think he had taken us as far as he could...  the saddest thing is that the structure and no nonsense approach was slowly eroded from Claudio's second season on thru Puel and today.  (Nb I dont think nuge would have rolled with the counter attacking football in 2015/16 that Claudio amped up)