David Hankey Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 2 minutes ago, Fox in the North said: Harry Maguire interview coming up on BBC news More missable TV.
Finnegan Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 What a load of bullshit. Publicist and lawyer working on overtime to try and feed him spin.
Leicester_Loyal Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 PR going into overdrive to try and make him out to be the innocent party. I think most sensible people see straight through it all, only United fans will be claiming he's innocent.
lcfc sheff Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 I think he’s innocent, he’s not and will never be a ****.
The Syrup Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 This is now the main story on the BBC... FFS, overpaid footballer on holiday goes to a bar, a bit of agro occurs and he's now playing the victim. And as for all that 'do you know who I am?' crap... Harry 'Ronnie Pickering' Maguire it sounds like.
Leicester_Loyal Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 23 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said: I think he’s innocent, he’s not and will never be a ****. I'm not a ****, but give me a 63k bar tab and I guarantee you I could easily end up in a scuffle, especially when groups of lads are around, even if you aren't the one causing it.
when_you're_smiling Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 Christ. PR like he’s Princess Diana or something.
Guest Kopfkino Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 42 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said: PR going into overdrive to try and make him out to be the innocent party. I think most sensible people see straight through it all, only United fans will be claiming he's innocent. I'd hope that most sensible people wouldn't see it as cut and dry either way. The process seems to have been a sham and neither the Greek police, nor its justice system are known for being straight. He seems to be most likely guilty of some misdemeanour but it's also entirely possible there's mitigating circumstance for which most would have sympathy. I can't see how anyone can have a firm opinion on it given that very little has been reported, all we essentially have is one word against another.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 I largely believe his side of events, no doubt he'll be trying to paint himself in a more favourable light but the 'I thought I was being kidnapped, 8 blokes in plain clothes kicking me' etc, if that's the case and you're worth tens of millions of quid you're going to panic.
Leicester_Loyal Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said: I'd hope that most sensible people wouldn't see it as cut and dry either way. The process seems to have been a sham and neither the Greek police, nor its justice system are known for being straight. He seems to be most likely guilty of some misdemeanour but it's also entirely possible there's mitigating circumstance for which most would have sympathy. I can't see how anyone can have a firm opinion on it given that very little has been reported, all we essentially have is one word against another. He and his mates/family got into a scuffle with another group of lads while all being pissed up after a bit of banter went too far. Happens up and down the country and abroad every night of the week. Unfortunately for him he's a high profile footballer. I don't for a second buy the Greek police story either, but he's sitting here denying he's done anything wrong, claiming his sister was stabbed, drugged and Albanian gangsters are involed, it's total nonsense. Man up and admit you got into a scrap but the rest is bollocks.
Innovindil Posted 27 August 2020 Posted 27 August 2020 It all sounds like such bollocks and nothing like what his lawyer has been saying. Two men approached Maguire's sister and asked her where she was from before Maguire's fiancee Fern saw "my little sister's eyes rolling to the back of her head. She ran over, she was fainting, in an out of consciousness." They told the minibus driver to take them back to the villa and planned to go to the hospital, but Daisy recovered "pretty quickly". So no mention of being stabbed like before? Or injected with something? Course not. Magically recovered quick though. Anagnostakis, a leading human rights lawyer, who often defends Britons who get into trouble in Greece, said the brawl had been set off when Maguire learned his sister had been attacked by two men. His lawyer describes it as a brawl. Meanwhile Harry... The minibus arrived. Maguire said they got Daisy on the bus and "literally that was it - it wasn't what everyone's made it out to be. Don't get me wrong - there was a lot of shouting, a big panic, but no fighting or anything." The group had called the driver of their rented van to take them to the island’s health clinic but found themselves being driven to the police station at the direction of undercover officers, the lawyer claimed. Meanwhile Harry... They told the driver to take them back to the villa His clients, he said, had acted in self-defence and had not realised that the men who had come to break up the fight were police officers because not all were in uniform. Meanwhile Harry... "We looked outside and there were eight men surrounding the bus, all in plain clothes." It's all so ****ed up. Leading human rights lawyer and doesn't even tell the same story as his client? Seems pretty shit to me. At least they've got time now to get the story straight. In any event, not much chance of getting to the actual truth I'd imagine. Much easier to just say we had a skinfull and got in a bit of trouble, very sorry it'll never happen again.
Livid Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 Honestly I think the truth lies somewhere in between Maguire's media spinned story and what a few over zealous Greek cops have come out with, maybe a little was literally lost in translation along the way. He honestly should have known better, as captain of one of europe's most famous team's he can't go out like one of the lads any more. A Greek court and the word of Greek police officers against a few guys from England on the beer, we all knew how that was going to end up.
Nuneatonfox in Manchester Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 Not Maguire’s biggest fan, but I think it’s highly unlikely he’s gone out looking for trouble with his fiancée and little sister...... I’m sure he’s not as innocent as he says he is, but plain clothes police officers.... sounds dodgy.
Livid Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 I've just seen that interview and I don't know. I got the feeling he was less than convincing when actually giving his side of the story, he just seemed to be avoiding eye contact with Roan or camera. Possibly been coached as to what to say etc and wasn't totally comfortable or happy with it. He seemed far more at ease at the end talking about his family.
RowlattsFox Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 Its weird how most people's natural behaviour is not to believe him, simply because he's a footballer and has money. Its not like he was on stag do, looks like partner etc were all with him. He probably got into trouble with another group of lads, unnecessarily probably, and then the non-uniformed police officers step in. To be fair, a group of plain clothes coppers starting grabbing you is going to cause a bit of aggro. And they probably did fight back not knowing they were coppers leading to assaulting a police officer charge. I reckon this doesn't go anywhere near this far if he wasn't a footballer, police trying to make a point. I get that he probably wants to clear his name, but I reckon he'd be best served to keep a low profile, they're no fans in stadiums to remind everyone of it every game. People will forget and move on to something else.
RonnieTodger Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 Given how quickly footballers are made to apologise, he obviously feels he's not done a lot wrong. That interview made me cringe but I'm inclined to agree with the post above.
Guest Kopfkino Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said: He and his mates/family got into a scuffle with another group of lads while all being pissed up after a bit of banter went too far. Happens up and down the country and abroad every night of the week. Unfortunately for him he's a high profile footballer. I don't for a second buy the Greek police story either, but he's sitting here denying he's done anything wrong, claiming his sister was stabbed, drugged and Albanian gangsters are involed, it's total nonsense. Man up and admit you got into a scrap but the rest is bollocks. I presume that you were there to know it was total nonsense? It's proper weird that people with zero knowledge of events, bar what they've read in The Sun and brief reports from a court where the defence didn't have time to mount a case, are happy to just call people a liar and presume guilt.
Stadt Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 The trial did seem hasty and hardly fair but there’s definitely some inconsistencies in his story. I’ve a hunch that some of the convictions will be downgraded but he’ll still be found guilty.
jammie82uk Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 4 hours ago, Livid said: Honestly I think the truth lies somewhere in between Maguire's media spinned story and what a few over zealous Greek cops have come out with, maybe a little was literally lost in translation along the way. He honestly should have known better, as captain of one of europe's most famous team's he can't go out like one of the lads any more. A Greek court and the word of Greek police officers against a few guys from England on the beer, we all knew how that was going to end up. It probably is but what don’t help Harry’s case in my opinion is that he made a real point of being kicked in the legs and being told his Career would be over yet he sat in the interview in shorts and seemingly not a visible mark on his legs
Leicester_Loyal Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 49 minutes ago, Kopfkino said: I presume that you were there to know it was total nonsense? It's proper weird that people with zero knowledge of events, bar what they've read in The Sun and brief reports from a court where the defence didn't have time to mount a case, are happy to just call people a liar and presume guilt. The lads involved in the scuffle are from Leicester... Unless they're lying, but it seems pretty silly to lie to people and potentially put yourself through a court case when you have no involvement in the original story. I'll repeat my original statement again, the police are quite clearly lying about certain things or making them sound worse than they are, but if you really believe Maguire, his mates and his brother are totally innocent, then fair enough. A few punches were thrown between two groups of lads, that's it. What happened afterwards with the police, I don't know.
KingsX Posted 28 August 2020 Posted 28 August 2020 The opposing view ... The Greek lawyer who led the prosecution against Harry Maguire has picked several holes in the Manchester United star’s “ridiculous” account of his arrest. Maguire – in an interview with the BBC – claimed he was “in fear for his life” as assailants hit him in the legs and told him he “he won’t play again”. It was the United captain’s first interview since he was convicted of assaulting police officers and bribery and handed a 21-month suspended sentence – a decision Maguire’s lawyers will appeal. Prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis has now taken apart Maguire’s account of the events, and has criticising the 27-year-old for his failure to apologise. He told MailOnline: “I’ve seen and read what Maguire said and it’s ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole. “Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don’t, these are not the actions of an honourable man. “If I was his fiancé or any of the others in the group, I would be very angry with him for leaving them behind and would want him to do some explaining.” He added: “Maguire claims that when the minibus stopped, he did not know that it was outside a police station. I would urge all people to have a look at Mykonos police station. It is clearly obvious what this place is either during the day or night. “There are many police cars parked outside it at night, there is a sign stating that it is a police station and there are officers coming in and outside of the building. The only way you would not be able tell if it was not a police station is if you are very drunk. “But clearly, he was not that drunk, because according to him he was able to fight off a group of men who he thought were kidnappers and try and escape. If he had the clarity of mind to do that then obviously, he would have also been able to see that the minibus had pulled up outside a police station.” The football star’s friend Ashden Morley claimed during the trial in Syros that they knew the nationality of the men because ‘they had an Albanian nature.’ He added: “Why didn’t the BBC press him further on this. How did Maguire and his group know that these men were Albanian? Is the Manchester United captain and those with him experts on Albanian culture and people? And do they speak Albanian? “And in his interview, Maguire makes no reference to Albanians, as his friend did in court and others did in his group? Why is this? Why is thier story now that it was simply two men and noting about Albanians? Why did the journalist not question him further about this?” Mr Paradissis fumed: “And where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital. A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says.” https://www.football365.com/news/greek-lawyer-tears-apart-man-utd-maguire-ridiculous-mykonos-claims?utm_source=vuukle&utm_medium=talk_of_town
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.