Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Harry Maguire arrested

42 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

PR going into overdrive to try and make him out to be the innocent party.

I think most sensible people see straight through it all, only United fans will be claiming he's innocent.

I'd hope that most sensible people wouldn't see it as cut and dry either way. The process seems to have been a sham and neither the Greek police, nor its justice system are known for being straight. 

He seems to be most likely guilty of some misdemeanour but it's also entirely possible there's mitigating circumstance for which most would have sympathy. I can't see how anyone can have a firm opinion on it given that very little has been reported, all we essentially have is one word against another.

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I'd hope that most sensible people wouldn't see it as cut and dry either way. The process seems to have been a sham and neither the Greek police, nor its justice system are known for being straight. 

He seems to be most likely guilty of some misdemeanour but it's also entirely possible there's mitigating circumstance for which most would have sympathy. I can't see how anyone can have a firm opinion on it given that very little has been reported, all we essentially have is one word against another.

He and his mates/family got into a scuffle with another group of lads while all being pissed up after a bit of banter went too far. Happens up and down the country and abroad every night of the week. Unfortunately for him he's a high profile footballer.

I don't for a second buy the Greek police story either, but he's sitting here denying he's done anything wrong, claiming his sister was stabbed, drugged and Albanian gangsters are involed, it's total nonsense. Man up and admit you got into a scrap but the rest is bollocks.

• Like 3

It all sounds like such bollocks and nothing like what his lawyer has been saying.

Two men approached Maguire's sister and asked her where she was from before Maguire's fiancee Fern saw "my little sister's eyes rolling to the back of her head. She ran over, she was fainting, in an out of consciousness."

They told the minibus driver to take them back to the villa and planned to go to the hospital, but Daisy recovered "pretty quickly".

So no mention of being stabbed like before? Or injected with something? Course not. Magically recovered quick though.

Anagnostakis, a leading human rights lawyer, who often defends Britons who get into trouble in Greece, said the brawl had been set off when Maguire learned his sister had been attacked by two men.

His lawyer describes it as a brawl. Meanwhile Harry...

The minibus arrived. Maguire said they got Daisy on the bus and "literally that was it - it wasn't what everyone's made it out to be. Don't get me wrong - there was a lot of shouting, a big panic, but no fighting or anything."

The group had called the driver of their rented van to take them to the island’s health clinic but found themselves being driven to the police station at the direction of undercover officers, the lawyer claimed.

Meanwhile Harry...

They told the driver to take them back to the villa

His clients, he said, had acted in self-defence and had not realised that the men who had come to break up the fight were police officers because not all were in uniform.

Meanwhile Harry...

"We looked outside and there were eight men surrounding the bus, all in plain clothes."

It's all so ****ed up. Leading human rights lawyer and doesn't even tell the same story as his client? Seems pretty shit to me. At least they've got time now to get the story straight. In any event, not much chance of getting to the actual truth I'd imagine. Much easier to just say we had a skinfull and got in a bit of trouble, very sorry it'll never happen again. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Honestly I think the truth lies somewhere in between Maguire's media spinned story and what a few over zealous Greek cops have come out with, maybe a little was literally lost in translation along the way. 

He honestly should have known better, as captain of one of europe's most famous team's he can't go out like one of the lads any more.

A Greek court and the word of Greek police officers against a few guys from England on the beer, we all knew how that was going to end up.

I've just seen that interview and I don't know.

I got the feeling he was less than convincing when actually giving his side of the story, he just seemed to be avoiding eye contact with Roan or camera. Possibly been coached as to what to say etc and wasn't totally comfortable or happy with it. 

He seemed far more at ease at the end talking about his family. 

• Like 1

Its weird how most people's natural behaviour is not to believe him, simply because he's a footballer and has money. Its not like he was on stag do, looks like partner etc were all with him. He probably got into trouble with another group of lads, unnecessarily probably, and then the non-uniformed police officers step in. To be fair, a group of plain clothes coppers starting grabbing you is going to cause a bit of aggro. And they probably did fight back not knowing they were coppers leading to assaulting a police officer charge. 

I reckon this doesn't go anywhere near this far if he wasn't a footballer, police trying to make a point. 

I get that he probably wants to clear his name, but I reckon he'd be best served to keep a low profile, they're no fans in stadiums to remind everyone of it every game. People will forget and move on to something else. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He and his mates/family got into a scuffle with another group of lads while all being pissed up after a bit of banter went too far. Happens up and down the country and abroad every night of the week. Unfortunately for him he's a high profile footballer.

I don't for a second buy the Greek police story either, but he's sitting here denying he's done anything wrong, claiming his sister was stabbed, drugged and Albanian gangsters are involed, it's total nonsense. Man up and admit you got into a scrap but the rest is bollocks.

I presume that you were there to know it was total nonsense? It's proper weird that people with zero knowledge of events, bar what they've read in The Sun and brief reports from a court where the defence didn't have time to mount a case, are happy to just call people a liar and presume guilt.

The trial did seem hasty and hardly fair but there’s definitely some inconsistencies in his story. I’ve a hunch that some of the convictions will be downgraded but he’ll still be found guilty.

4 hours ago, Livid said:

Honestly I think the truth lies somewhere in between Maguire's media spinned story and what a few over zealous Greek cops have come out with, maybe a little was literally lost in translation along the way. 

He honestly should have known better, as captain of one of europe's most famous team's he can't go out like one of the lads any more.

A Greek court and the word of Greek police officers against a few guys from England on the beer, we all knew how that was going to end up.

It probably is but what don’t help Harry’s case in my opinion is that he made a real point of being kicked in the legs and being told his Career would be over yet he sat in the interview in shorts and seemingly not a visible mark on his legs 

49 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I presume that you were there to know it was total nonsense? It's proper weird that people with zero knowledge of events, bar what they've read in The Sun and brief reports from a court where the defence didn't have time to mount a case, are happy to just call people a liar and presume guilt.

The lads involved in the scuffle are from Leicester... Unless they're lying, but it seems pretty silly to lie to people and potentially put yourself through a court case when you have no involvement in the original story.

I'll repeat my original statement again, the police are quite clearly lying about certain things or making them sound worse than they are, but if you really believe Maguire, his mates and his brother are totally innocent, then fair enough. A few punches were thrown between two groups of lads, that's it. What happened afterwards with the police, I don't know.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal