Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Reasons for Hope

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

Of all the reasons for hope, there’s the chance that some of these beauties show up for kings testimonial. 

Imagine the scenes of Levi porter vs John pantsil 

Andy (let's be honest, you're definitely reading), make this happen.

I absolutely demand Philpott and Ormondroyd even though neither played with King. They were his heroes growing up, I'm sure of it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

I remember getting excited for Peter Eccles from Shamrock Rovers, Pat Gavin from Hanwell Town and Steve Thompson - NO NOT THAT ONE - from Charlton Athletic, so yeah I guess things could be worse 

Wow.  What wonderful names. 

Steve Thompson. Big moustache. Animal. Did he ever actually play for us? Pleat had a thing for signing players and not using them as some form.of protest. Jimmy Quinn. Wayne Clarke. Mick Kennedy (another animal) 

Pat Gavin was a great story if my memory serves. I have this vague memory he was unaware he'd actually been transferred to us and rocked up at Gillingham for pre season training and had to be persuaded to come up to us instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still think in the long run we'll probably get it right, the investments made in things such as the training ground and ground expansion will make us that bit more attractive than what we'd have been otherwise.

I'm struggling in the short term though. Feel like we're sleepwalking into the bottom half this season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I know you guys are all craving incoming transfers, but just dry your eyes and keep believin' (which song is better? Poll?)

Anyway, think back to previous barren transfer spells and last minute deals. I clearly remember the epic times we were resigned to no movement and then titans of the game like Mark Blake and Julian Watts joined late in the window.

And there are always loans! So let's rule nothing out! Who remembers for example when we took unknowns from other rubbish sides? Luigi Glombard? Jason Jarrett?

Plenty of reasons to smile.

Julian Watts was the same transfer deadline day that Muzzy Izzy signed on loan. Remember running home from school and switching on teletext to see who we’d signed to be excited by Watt and not having a clue who M Izzet from Chelsea was.

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I know you guys are all craving incoming transfers, but just dry your eyes and keep believin' (which song is better? Poll?)

Anyway, think back to previous barren transfer spells and last minute deals. I clearly remember the epic times we were resigned to no movement and then titans of the game like Mark Blake and Julian Watts joined late in the window.

And there are always loans! So let's rule nothing out! Who remembers for example when we took unknowns from other rubbish sides? Luigi Glombard? Jason Jarrett?

Beckford comes to mind lol 

6 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I remember when Adams got us promoted and signed a load of OAPs. Then we got Paul Brooker, who was under 35. I hadn't heard of him, and thought we might have found a gem. I think Adams described him as "nothing spectacular," or words to that effect, in an interview for the reveal. I think he also may have even said he only plays well when the weather's nice. A bit underwhelming.

The other that sticks out in my mind for some reason was when Levein signed Momo Sylla. I hadn't heard of him, either. He was from Celtic, at a time when there was more parity between the EPL and SPL, and he was given the no. 7 shirt. The squad was small, but Levein said something like, "we're going for quality, not quantity this season." I was getting my hopes up. I needn't have bothered as he was cack.

• Like 1