Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

UEFA Champions League 20/21

25 minutes ago, bovril said:

Kante vs Mahrez in the final 

Arsene Wenger will be a pundit for the final to discuss these two being amongst the 430 great players he nearly signed for Arsenal.

• Haha 4

Just now, Vacamion said:

"The aristocats of European Football"  lol

If I remember it rightly - the plot of that film is an alley cat comes into a pedigree set up and romances his way up into the high life. Leicester are Thomas O'Mally in that scenario..

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Arsene Wenger will be a pundit for the final to discuss these two being amongst the 430 great players he nearly signed for Arsenal.

He was on Bien tonight, they asked him if he tried to sign Benzema, he had. lol 

21 minutes ago, trabuch said:

All English and Scottish. And the Rimmer and Spink business. Ahhh - they don't make 'em like they used to. Kids today etc..

That's the thing I suppose. Similar with the Liverpool team of the 80's.

A time where your average football fan could relate more to the players I guess.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Super League derby in the final then.

Two clubs vying to win a competition that just two weeks ago their owners tried to destroy.

Mental.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

That's the thing I suppose. Similar with the Liverpool team of the 80's.

A time where your average football fan could relate more to the players I guess.

They are still human. Although they are very well paid, they are still exploited. It would be nice if they related more to us (and the players further down the pyramid). I'd better sign off. I feel a rant coming on.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

It must be the weakest state European Football has ever been in really outside of the Premier League.

This has happened a few times before (Man U vs Chelsea final comes to mind, the foreign leagues were poor then too), but Covid definitely played a huge part. Chelsea were the biggest spenders in Europe in the summer, and Man City have had the best overall squad for a while now. In some ways on paper, this should have been the final, though had Lewandowski not got injured at a crucial time for Bayern, I feel they would have beaten Man City.

Still in both semi-finals the stand out players were Riyad Mahrez and N'golo Kante! Quite incredible that we had both in the same team at the same time along with Jamie Vardy and the rest of the gang. It's painful to see both players no longer with us, but at the time you knew both were truly world class, and Kante having won a world cup and both playing in a Champions League final proves the point really. For me peak Jamie Vardy was on the same level and it says a lot that he turned down Arsenal's advances to stay with us and be a legend. I truly hope he wins the FA Cup as a reward for doing so!

It will be interesting to see whom from our current batch goes as far as those two. Tielemans is a given, Ndidi, Soyuncu and Fofana have a real chance too. For me since we won the title, other than Vardy the one player who I really felt hit the same standards as the "three kings" of 15/16 was Ricardo. Up until his injury I felt he was giving top class 8 and 9 out of 10 performances every single week. In that form he too would have deserved a Champions League final chance, though he will have to get his form back if he wants a chance to do that now. Extremely unfortunate to get such a serious injury.

4 hours ago, trabuch said:

If I remember it rightly - the plot of that film is an alley cat comes into a pedigree set up and romances his way up into the high life. Leicester are Thomas O'Mally in that scenario..

my memory differs.. (or perhaps a different movie :) )

"The Aristocrats" is a longstanding transgressive joke amongst comedians, in which the setup and punchline are almost always the same (or similar). It is the joke's midsection – which may be as long as the one telling it prefers and is often completely improvised – that makes or breaks a particular rendition.

The joke involves a person pitching an act to a talent agent. Typically the first line is,
Man walks into a talent agent's office." The man then describes the act. From this point, up to (but not including) the punchline, the teller of the joke is expected to ad-lib the most shocking act they can possibly imagine. This often involves elements of incest, group sex, graphic violence, defecation, coprophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, rape, child sexual abuse, and various other taboo behaviors. 

The talent agent then asks  "What the heck do you call an act like that?"

Man.... "I call it 'The Aristocrats'."

6 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

It must be the weakest state European Football has ever been in really outside of the Premier League.

Easily. I can't remember the top foreign teams this collectively poor. Bayern the only one pulling their weight really.

What a shit final that’s gonna be then.

I reckon it could be the first final played with two balls.

Man City in one half passing it sideways and backwards, Chelsea in the other half passing it sideways and backwards, neither are gonna go forward and attack.

Think I’ll be giving this one a big miss. I’ll watch any game at any level but I’ve stopped watching any game that involves Man City (unless we were playing them) because they’re are so boring.

8 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Let’s be honest, the Premier League, is the Super League. 

The reason the other tried to form a breakaway league, as they’re falling behind. 

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Apparently Villa have put forward Villa Park as an alternative to Istanbul.

The radio was full this morning of "WHY COULDN'T THEY MOVE IT TO WEMBLEY?"

Unfortunately nobody mentioned that all the play-off games are being played there that weekend.

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Apparently Villa have put forward Villa Park as an alternative to Istanbul.

Would be perfect. Pretty much exactly halfway between the two clubs and isn't so big that 10,000 fans each would be much more significant than at Wembley. 

• Like 1