Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

The U23s - Who Do You Think Will Step Up?

And more to the point, who do you think will be a success?

Given our (worrying) lack of signings, do we think Brendan will look to use more U23 players this season instead of breaking the bank? (and yes, I know we all realise we need to buy quality players and can do both).

Which players do you think we can see more of?

Obviously Thomas given the lack of a LB signing so far.

I'm thinking Dewsbury-Hall and Hughes more than anyone else right now. Perhaps Darnell Johnson to cover for Justin as well.

What makes you think Hughes? Hasn’t played any games and I doubt he is good enough. Also he’s behind Johnson and Knight. 

Thomas, Taveres, Dewsbury-Hall, Knight, Johnson and Eppiah are the most likely to make it, wether that’s with us or out on loan next season

Edited by BroughtonFox

Thomas, Tavares and KDH will get game time, although I think KDH will go on loan if we keep all our central midfielders. I'd have liked to see Pennant given a try in pre-season but I think he's probably still a year or so off bulking out to be physically ready for professional first team football.

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I like what little I've seen of Tavares. Disappointing that Dewsbury-Hall is 21 - I thought he was about 19, should've been loaned out at around that age.

KDH can still make it at the top level but I'd get a season of Championship football in to him. Tavares at 18 is ideal to be in and around the first team and playing cup and a few European games. Both could do well here. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Tavares is very highly rated I think I read somewhere cannot remember the source was that the likes of Athletico Madrid and Juventus have been looking at him, we need to get him signed up on a new contract.

Makes a change from Barcelona :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Tavares already looks like he can play the men’s game. I’d like us to keep him for the season around the squad and play cup games etc but perhaps we’ve got too many midfielders already?

I think he may be involved. Apparently, he's in the last year of his contract, so keeping him around the first team might be the only way we can persuade him to sign a new one.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Tavares is very highly rated I think I read somewhere cannot remember the source was that the likes of Athletico Madrid and Juventus have been looking at him, we need to get him signed up on a new contract.

Isn’t he the young fella that won’t sign a new contract without guaranteed first team football? In his head he must be better than Ndidi/Madders/Tiels 🤔  at 18 too.

Edited by SheppyFox

Tavares, KDH  and Thomas have a decent chance I think. Was a little disappointed in Thomas yesterday though, but he has shown us enough when he came into the first team that he has a lot of potential to make the step up. I personally don't see anything in Hirst to suggest that he can make the step up. I know he scored goals at u21 level, and I watched quite a few of their games, and I still just don't see it.  Reminds me a bit of Ian Baroclough who was decent for our reserves in the late 80s, but never made it here, but had a career in the lower leagues. I would try and get Hirst a championship loan, and see how he gets on, but I fear he is no more than league one level to be honest. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Edited by smudger63