Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

'Tactical' substitutions 5 seconds before the final whistle. At the weekend, I watched a game on M4, the Hungarian Sports channel, and that's what happened. As the sub ran onto the pitch, the ref blew for full-time. When subs were first introduced into football, I'm pretty sure that that wasn't what they were intended for. It drives me up the wall when managers go in for this type of gamesmanship.   

People who use the self checkout and scan their items through and don’t bag their items as they go.

Get your bags ready, put them down where instructed and then scan your items and pop them straight into the bag, easy. There really is no need to pile up your shopping and then pack it after handling everything twice and holding other more clued up shoppers up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Conspiracy theorists who make ridiculous claims without any evidence backing them up.

had a conversation with a wider family member who was convinced the earth was flat. It’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He tried to reason how argument but I asked him “ if the earth is flat, how can we have time zones? And how can it be pitch black on my sisters FaceTime in Leicester yet bright as day here in North Carolina over a comparatively short distance  at exactly the same time on a supposed  flat earth?

Beggars belief anyone can believe the earth is flat..

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

English people that say “that sucks”. 

They usually own skateboards

That's a hilariously specific generalisation.  I'm pretty sure most people aged about 40 downwards are likely to use such a common phrase, they can't all own skateboards, I certainly don't lol 

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's a hilariously specific generalisation.  I'm pretty sure most people aged about 40 downwards are likely to use such a common phrase, they can't all own skateboards, I certainly don't lol 

I never say “that sucks” but own 6 skateboards. Even more doubt thrown on the theory. 

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The persistence of the greetings cards industry. Buy a gift. Why spend upwards of an extra three quid to write in a bit of card and contribute to pollution and deforestation. 

For years I've asked the family to buy me a beer or two instead of a card - and yet every Christmas I get the joy of feigning happiness at the card, rather than something that would actually make the day (more) tolerable 

21 minutes ago, Fktf said:

For years I've asked the family to buy me a beer or two instead of a card - and yet every Christmas I get the joy of feigning happiness at the card, rather than something that would actually make the day (more) tolerable 

I don't get it. Most folk just write what they say when they give you a gift anyway. 

Why spend a few quid getting me a card to echo what you say. 

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Similarly: "I got through X and so everyone else can too."

Translated: "I suffered so everyone else must suffer the same too."

"I got through cancer/depression so everyone else can too" translates as "I suffered so everyone else must suffer too"? Wtf?

To me that's the opposite and trying to give inspiration to people going through tough times. There's no "must suffer" at all when people say that, there's no "I'm glad you're going through that too". It nearly always comes from a place of sympathy with what the current person is going through but also tries to show them there's a light at the end of the tunnel - there's not always that light for everyone, but it's supposed to give people something to fight for. At worst it's naive and maybe gives false hope, but I've certainly never heard that statement being used to play down the actual suffering.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here though, so can you give an example of the type of things you're actually referring to when people say "I got through X so everyone else can too"?

Edited by Sampson

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

"I got through cancer/depression so everyone else can too" translates as "I suffered so everyone else must suffer too"? Wtf?

To me that's the opposite and trying to give inspiration to people going through tough times. There's no "must suffer" at all when people say that, there's no "I'm glad you're going through that too". It nearly always comes from a place of sympathy with what the current person is going through but also tries to show them there's a light at the end of the tunnel - there's not always that light for everyone, but it's supposed to give people something to fight for. At worst it's naive and maybe gives false hope, but I've certainly never heard that statement being used to play down the actual suffering.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here though, so can you give an example of the type of things you're actually referring to when people say "I got through X so everyone else can too"?

Nae problemo, allow me to clarify.

I'm referring to stories about "pulling up by bootstraps" and economic hard times more than people hit by disease. Where the response is as I say above, "well, the world is like that and I went through it so other people should too" rather than "that's not right, no one should have to go through what I did, let's make things better".

In short, focusing on problems that are more fixable and don't have to stay the same.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nae problemo, allow me to clarify.

I'm referring to stories about "pulling up by bootstraps" and economic hard times more than people hit by disease. Where the response is as I say above, "well, the world is like that and I went through it so other people should too" rather than "that's not right, no one should have to go through what I did, let's make things better".

In short, focusing on problems that are more fixable and don't have to stay the same.

Fair enough maybe it was just the wird "can" that threw me a little. I understand what you mean now though.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:20, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I was just refused service in morrisons for 1 small box of fvcking paracetamol..... didn't have id with me but I'm 28 ffs. If i was trying to buy a bottle of vodka fair enough but seriously, paracetamol?

I was once banned from a BP petrol station for life for trying to buy a red bull without ID. I had driven in and bought petrol at the same time and commented that they shouldn't be selling me fuel if they don't think I look old enough to buy red bull. It's safe to say that did not go down well with the cashier lol

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Halifax using Oasis' 17th best song in their new advert.

It's a people thing! What they don't tell you is how utterly crap their interest rates are for savers.

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Halifax using Oasis' 17th best song in their new advert.

At least they've used the actual version and not some dreadful, airy female vocals ruining it like the bank adverts.

• Like 3