Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

13 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Seems to be very much a phenomenon of perhaps less successful "footballing" nations who have high-profile players in large European leagues. Or am I wrong? Do English football fans spam Borussia Dortmund's posts when Jadon Sancho doesn't start a game?

No. But then that undermines your theory that it's perhaps a phenomenon of "less successful footballing nations"! lol

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, thesilverfox said:

Hasn't Rodgers been quoted as saying something along the lines of "you won't get into the team on skill alone". Probably indicating lack of work rate in training? Or an attitude issue? Although he always seems to put a shift in when he's on the pitch?

He most definitely did not say that specifically about Under (nor indeed anyone else in particular).

But, if I was a betting man (and I'm not), it's more likely a reference to Gray, as Under works his tail off on the field. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

Frankly not sure why some are leaping to all sorts of negative conclusion because Brendan elected not to introduce Under in a game that we were ahead and substantively only needed to consolidate. Personally, I thought Albrighton was the better substitution in that PARTICULAR SITUATION!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

He most definitely did not say that specifically about Under (nor indeed anyone else in particular).

But, if I was a betting man (and I'm not), it's more likely a reference to Gray, as Under works his tail off on the field. 

...some managers have been known to hold a player back, perhaps to indoctrinate them, into the clubs culture!!!

Albrighton as we know was not given the opportunity to play until right at the end of the "Great Escape" season while the supporters were crying out to know why Pearson was holding him back. Almost six years on and he is still part of the first eleven, and contributing to our success.

I suppose sometime a manager sees something and decides that a player, is not ready to go on the team sheet, whether that is down to the players attitude, work ethic or mentality. I am at a loss why he is not been utilised and sure he will light up the league, when he gets a run in the team, and we will all then get the answers to our questions.

• Like 1

I don’t think he’s been written off yet by BR. His decision making is improving as is his fitness but he’s clearly not there yet in BR’s opinion as a preferred option. Doesn’t mean he won’t get there and time is ticking for him but I doubt he’s made a final decision already.

Nah, it's done.  He's squad filler at this point until he goes back.  If he can't even break into the side ahead of Perez on the wing (where he's a proven underperformer) against an opponent like Fulham there's no path for him here.  Might get the next FA Cup game, and might be thrown in late if we're losing and need goals - but the writing is on the wall, and it's not in pencil.

Edited by Deeg67

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

This is the real question.  It’s probably best for LCFC fans to move on from Under mentally, because he clearly has no future here.  You can argue as to why but it’s pretty obvious he’ll get no opportunities in meaningful matches under the current manager, and likely be returned to Roma after the season.  But why bring in a player whose skills the manager doesn’t place any value in?

Surely he was brought in because we needed another option on the wings and he is a player who has enormous potential. 

He has been disappointing and I don’t think Bren sees him as a 90 minute player due to  his lack of meaningful defensive contribution - after having a chance to work with him.

He’s also suffered from the fact that Albrighton has done really well this season and he is so important to us given his relentless effort.

I love the fact that Under tries to make things happen and he is an exciting (if frustrating) player to watch. But I think he might struggle to make a consistent impact due to the physical intensity of the Premier League.

20 hours ago, filbertway said:

Perez also played 3 games up front because the management rated his ability to play that position better than Kelechi. Let's have it right, coaches and managers get plenty wrong. A lot will be based on biases that the manager/coaching team have, if they prefer a player they're more likely to get game time. 

If Fofana came in while Soyuncu and Evans were fit and couldn't get much game time then people would be saying "the management obviously don't think he can be trusted to play in league games for us". Albrighton is a managers dream in terms of work rate and following instructions. Perez is someone that Rodgers asked for, so he's going to be inclined to keep giving him chances. I imagine those are the reasons they are getting selected ahead of Under. 

I really doubt it's down to them not rating him, but more down to have a preference.

A sensible post, and likely true, given Perez is receiving alot of criticism, some warranted, some not imo, BR is persisting with him.

I suspect if Under and Perez were in a different Team together, the rotation would be an interesting debate and the outcome slightly different, who knows, I know who I prefer, but that's my own opinion and is based around my preference, however am not privvy to the bigger picture Team cohesion, Trg output etc etc. So have to trust BR decision.

Let’s not forgets Soyuncu hardly got a look in in his first year here (puel cited language and communication issues) and when he did play we all thought he was a bomb scare. When he had had time to settle and got his chance he showed us what a great player he is. Someone also mentioned that Albrighton hardly got game time under NP for ages. Maybe it is as simple as that. Players need time to settle into the squad and understand what the management want from them in the team and style etc. Also you have to displace the player in that position, and MA is delivering so why change a side that is settled. His chance will come and I think he will be a good player for us in the long term if he stays. Just because someone isn’t getting first pick it does not mean that there is something wrong. We have a squad of players after all.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Let’s not forgets Soyuncu hardly got a look in in his first year here (puel cited language and communication issues) and when he did play we all thought he was a bomb scare. When he had had time to settle and got his chance he showed us what a great player he is. Someone also mentioned that Albrighton hardly got game time under NP for ages. Maybe it is as simple as that. Players need time to settle into the squad and understand what the management want from them in the team and style etc. Also you have to displace the player in that position, and MA is delivering so why change a side that is settled. His chance will come and I think he will be a good player for us in the long term if he stays. Just because someone isn’t getting first pick it does not mean that there is something wrong. We have a squad of players after all.

All probably true. Where the comparison with Albrighton's eventual emergence under Pearson breaks down is that Under is on borrowed time - only till the end of the season before a decision whether to keep him, and a decision with a large financial angle.

He has arrived in a country where he doesnt speak the language. Yes he has Cags here but it takes many international players time to adapt. It certainly did with Cags. He also needed time to get his fitness back.  Brendan is a man manager and I'm sure has not written him off at all. He has shown promise, he tries hard and has goals in him. He will be given time like others have. He seems happy in training videos and whenever he is shown on tv. He will get there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hales said:

He has arrived in a country where he doesnt speak the language. Yes he has Cags here but it takes many international players time to adapt. It certainly did with Cags. He also needed time to get his fitness back.  Brendan is a man manager and I'm sure has not written him off at all. He has shown promise, he tries hard and has goals in him. He will be given time like others have. He seems happy in training videos and whenever he is shown on tv. He will get there. 

Skill wise I think hes perfect long term with refinement from BR and his coaches. 

It's different when talking about languages because the club has helped many players in the past with english tutoring including for Cags, however they were permanent players and Under isnt. In any case I'm not sure we would be privy as to how his english may be anyhow.

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Skill wise I think hes perfect long term with refinement from BR and his coaches. 

It's different when talking about languages because the club has helped many players in the past with english tutoring including for Cags, however they were permanent players and Under isnt. In any case I'm not sure we would be privy as to how his english may be anyhow.

...you would think short phrases to instruct a required action on the pitch would be the way to go!!!

If you have a good friend and he converse daily instructing you in the use of the said phrases, it would hasten his ability to communicate with his teammates.

10 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

No. But then that undermines your theory that it's perhaps a phenomenon of "less successful footballing nations"! lol

Not exactly, as it's a question. Essentially a compound question asking whether the observation I'd made was incorrect. If the second part of the question was in fact statement then yes, it would be a contradiction.

B- for effort. lol

• Like 1

2nd choice to Sharkey, I can understand at present and for certain games, he is afterall a grafter. 2nd choice to Ayoze, not sure, at least let him have a half instead of Perez, Fulham game an ideal chance, if not and with time running out till his loan spell is up, let this lad move on where he will either flourish, and inevitably we regret letting him go, or he will dissapoint and BR was right.