Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Harvey Barnes named in full England squad

34 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Mate there's 6 players who can play right back in the squad.... he clearly has no concern with balance lol 

Agreed the full-back desicion is ridiculous. But neither do we need 5 or 6 wingers.

I think Maddison can feel hard done by, but there are clearly 4 or 5 options better than Barnes on the wings right now. And moaning about him not being in the side and calling Southgate useless for not picking him when there's clearly better players than him is more than a bit naff.

It's a bit like when Watford fans used to say Deeney should be in the England side when we had Kane, Vardy and Sturridge. Or West Ham fans with Mark Noble. Barnes has great potential and I hope he can keep up his good form. But he shouldn't be any higher than England's 5th or 6th choice winger right now with the options available and you really don't need more than 4 wingers in an international squad. Anything more is going back to the days of Sven and handing out caps for the sake of it, rather than actually trying to bed in a side for next summer's tournament.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Agreed the full-back desicion is ridiculous. But neither do we need 5 or 6 wingers.

I think Maddison can feel hard done by, but there are clearly 4 or 5 options better than Barnes on the wings right now. And moaning about him not being in the side and calling Southgate useless for not picking him when there's clearly better players than him is more than a bit naff.

It's a bit like when Watford fans used to say Deeney should be in the England side when we had Kane, Vardy and Sturridge. Or West Ham fans with Mark Noble. Barnes has great potential and I hope he can keep up his good form. But he shouldn't be any higher than England's 5th or 6th choice winger right now with the options available and you really don't need more than 4 wingers in an international squad. Anything more is going back to the days of Sven and handing out caps for the sake of it, rather than actually trying to bed in a side for next summer's tournament.

But I don't see any evidence of him bedding in a squad either.

If it had remained Euro 2020 then yes, Walker probably deserves a look in, with Trippier at a push. But it's a year on and really this should be the 2022 World Cup squad that's being created.

With regards to wingers. I'm assuming we are sticking to 3-4-3/4-3-3, in which case there's not really a distinction between strikers and wingers and i'd lump Barnes in with the likes of Abraham in terms of a 50/50 selection choice. The fact is Kane is the Number 9 and whoever plays around him is what's up for grabs... so really as long as there's one back up for Kane (calvert lewin or Abraham) the rest can play anywhere across the front. 

I agree, no pointless call ups... but there's an easy argument for Barnes to be introduced now (especially with the Ireland friendly).

Edited by AjcW

Genuinely what's the point of performing well for your team in terms of international recognition? 

Maguire has been in an abysmally performing United side and is suspended for a game - Called up. Reece James is suspended for two games - Called up. 

Winks is he even starting for Spurs?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Genuinely what's the point of performing well for your team in terms of international recognition? 

Maguire has been in an abysmally performing United side and is suspended for a game - Called up. Reece James is suspended for two games - Called up. 

Winks has started two Premier League games. Completely missed out on the spurs squad two games ago and didn't get off the bench in the last.

It's just baffling but we should be used to it.

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Winks has started two Premier League games. Completely missed out on the spurs squad two games ago and didn't get off the bench in the last.

It's just baffling but we should be used to it.

You're right, I'm not sure why it irritates me so much. Think it's the fact we genuinely have such a talented selection of players, and Southgate just abuses this by picking his favourites. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

You're right, I'm not sure why it irritates me so much. Think it's the fact we genuinely have such a talented selection of players, and Southgate just abuses this by picking his favourites. 

It's even worse in the U21's, you should see some of Aidys team selections lollol 

Selfishly I’m pleased Maddison and Barnes aren’t in the squad at the moment, although Maddison has been very unfortunate not to have been given more opportunities. It’s probably the right decision with Barnes anyway.

In terms of others in the squad. Pope has been in better form than Pickford for ages now. Maguire seems to play no matter what. 

I’m also not sure what the answer is in midfield, but the picks are usually very poor. It’s high time that the likes of Grealish and Maddison were given more opportunities over others like Winks. 

In truth, GS got a lot of good PR by promoting young players, but the side hasn’t evolved during his tenure. If anything it’s gone backwards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Why are people moaning about Barnes not getting in the squad? He was only in there last time due to injuries and the bigger squad, now those players are back, he shouldn't be getting in that England side. Who do you say we drop and he gets in ahead of? Sterling, Sancho, Grealish or Rashford? Barnes is simply not as good as any of them and doesn't deserve to get called up ahead of them. The wings are probably England's strongest position at the moment.

Maddison is one we could maybe be aggrieved about, but he's not been fully fit since March and is still coming off the bench for us in league games. I'd much rather he had the 2 weeks rest right now regardless.

I'm pleased that Barnes gets a rest.  I think international breaks should be cancelled this season and just renamed 'breaks'.

To answer your question though, we have seen what Sancho, Sterling and Rashford can do for England.  HB deserves a chance to show what he can do and deserves the recognition.  I'm biased but I don't think he's that far behind.

• Like 1

Sancho hasn’t done anything for England and rashford hasn’t done much apart from maybe against part time electricians for San Marino! Barnes has huge potential to go further than both. They all have pace, but don’t have the power Barnes has. Watch this space I suppose!! 

Edited by Heymister2015

Delighted that the two of them can stay away from injury away on international duty and also from covid risk away from their club bubble.  if we perform as a club as we have been thus far then southgate will have to take the same blindfolded approach on madders as hodgson did re drinkwater pre the euros …… but the media wont let him get away with it. Barnes is more difficult at the moment as he has a few better players in front of him. 

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Who cares, more time for him to recover.

I suspect he does

I really can’t get excited about England now to be honest - they seem to have a real disconnect with the potential England supporters

However, it would still remain  the ambition of most English footballers to represent their country - it’s a feather in your cap and recognition that you’re doing well 

I suspect he’s quite dejected at the announcement which is a real shame for him…

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I suspect he does

I really can’t get excited about England now to be honest - they seem to have a real disconnect with the potential England supporters

However, it would still remain  the ambition of most English footballers to represent their country - it’s a feather in your cap and recognition that you’re doing well 

I suspect he’s quite dejected at the announcement which is a real shame for him…

Southgate has taken a step back in this regard. During the WC and even after he had the entire nation behind the side. But now his unimaginative style of play and dubious squads have almost chalked off any good favour left.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Southgate has taken a step back in this regard. During the WC and even after he had the entire nation behind the side. But now his unimaginative style of play and dubious squads have almost chalked off any good favour left.

Agree

its not just him though to be fair…. The team doesn’t have much ‘personality’

look at Italia 90

Butcher 

Pearce

Gasgcoine 

You could relate to them - feel their passion  

They really cared - consequently the nation did too

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Solihullfox said:

Good news that Barnes and Maddison get some rest but the flip side is do the players begin to think they are only going to get international football by going to a so called bigger club.

Surely they'll be alright when they win the league and Europa league double this year. 

(they'll definitely get a move to help them win more trophies then, at least after the obligatory England team tapping up sessions, maybe he told Southgate to bollocks when he suggested a move and that's why he's been dropped. Form certainly ain't the reason) 

Edited by gw_leics772
****ing bastard autocorrect. I checked the bastard and chose the autocorrect spelling with l'apostrophe, then when I followed the link to the reaction, it's all turned bollocks. I hate pooters!
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Seem to remember Vardy being called up for England in November 2015 but still missed both games because of a mysterious ‘knock’. 

I’m all for all of our players missing out right now to be honest.

Maybe we are now in the big boys club and get to tell Southgate to ✌️

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

It's even worse in the U21's, you should see some of Aidys team selections lollol 

You have to question the system when it picks two poor failed club managers to oversee both your national side and future young players. What known tactical genius and successful record of quality coaching at youth level was there to admire to justify the employment of Boothroyd? His only success that I know of was getting a club promoted and then immediately relegated on a primitive brand of hoofball.

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Completely agree about Winks. A bang average midfielder.