Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Harvey Barnes named in full England squad

9 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Feel slightly for Abraham in all this as it seems he wasn't aware of the party being organised and he's got all the flak for it. 

Glad Harvey has kept his nose clean.

I would feel more for him if it didn't come on the same weekend we watched him have full blown bitch fit on the pitch because he wasn't allowed to take a penalty. 

3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Sterling out of the squad injured and Sancho, Chilwell and Abraham told not to bother for breaching Corona guidelines. 

Barnes MUST be in for a start. That's two wingers out the squad. 

Gwon you beautiful law abiding goalscorer you!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Hopefully Kane can show him how to shoot and we'll have a top player.

Hope not, Kanes shot to goal ratio is atrocious.

Based on last season 

"In terms of shot frequency, Kane topped the chart with 133 unblocked shots last season - 23 per cent more than any other player - but only 56 per cent of those attempts hit the target, which ranked him 14th out of 20."

"In contrast to shooting accuracy, shot conversion includes blocked attempts. Kane led the way again for shot frequency with 184 attempts, including 51 blocked efforts - resulting in a 16 per cent goal ratio (17th out of 20)."

6 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Feel slightly for Abraham in all this as it seems he wasn't aware of the party being organised and he's got all the flak for it. 

Glad Harvey has kept his nose clean.

Didn't realise it was that kind of party?

Edited by Gamble92
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Hope not, Kanes shot to goal ratio is atrocious.

Based on last season 

"In terms of shot frequency, Kane topped the chart with 133 unblocked shots last season - 23 per cent more than any other player - but only 56 per cent of those attempts hit the target, which ranked him 14th out of 20."

"In contrast to shooting accuracy, shot conversion includes blocked attempts. Kane led the way again for shot frequency with 184 attempts, including 51 blocked efforts - resulting in a 16 per cent goal ratio (17th out of 20)."

tbf to kane, he's always been about taking as many shots as possible. there's two ways of scoring really if you're not outrageously good: take lots of shots from anywhere, or take a few shots from really decent locations. he's more the former than the latter

2 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

tbf to kane, he's always been about taking as many shots as possible. there's two ways of scoring really if you're not outrageously good: take lots of shots from anywhere, or take a few shots from really decent locations. he's more the former than the latter

I think the problem is he's hailed as a great finisher, but no stats back that up. Watching him sometimes is a bit like the big bully in school who makes sure everyone passes to him until he scores.

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I think the problem is he's hailed as a great finisher, but no stats back that up. Watching him sometimes is a bit like the big bully in school who makes sure everyone passes to him until he scores.

conversion rates and shots on target percentages are a notoriously bad way of measuring how good somebody is at finishing though. kane takes a lot of shots from relatively bad positions (compared to vardy for instance): of course his conversion rates and shots on target percentage is lower. buying a lot of tickets is a legitimate way to score lots of goals. personally i think kane is a pretty good finisher - he's overshot his xG for most of his career, it's just that he's doing it in a specific manner.

Even if Barnes doesn't get a run out in any of the games which he bloody well should but knowing Southgate you juts never know I think it will be a good experience. Shame Madders isn't there too and give him company but Chillwell might be so at least 1 familiar face. Looking forward to the match up against Belgium!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Even if Barnes doesn't get a run out in any of the games which he bloody well should but knowing Southgate you juts never know I think it will be a good experience. Shame Madders isn't there too and give him company but Chillwell might be so at least 1 familiar face. Looking forward to the match up against Belgium!

Don’t think he will be seeing Ben 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

No call up for Harvey (or any Leicester player) in the England squad just announced.

Which for me is ****ing brilliant news! Stay home and fit Harvey.

You'll all have your own wtfs, but Maitland-Niles and Saka are absolute vomit calls. As are Winks and Dier.

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

If it was going to be a repeat of last time where he got 15 minutes in a non-competitive game, for all its great experience getting an international cap and being in the England camp, I'm pleased he'll have the opportunity to get some rest and recovery sessions and spend more time with Brendan who will improve his game 10x the amount Southgate could ever hope too. 

Besides, if you take out the centre forwards of Kane, DCL and Abraham, at the moment Barnes is competing with Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and of course Southgate's favourite Mason Mount. They're all players that are ahead of Barnes right now or, in the latter's case, a manager's favourite. It's a tough ask him and did brilliant to get himself in the mix in the last squad. More to come from Barnes and he's a very gifted, exciting and raw talent but to miss out now is no great shakes on his part. Onwards and upwards.

On this occasion I'm more than happy for as many of our squad to miss the internationals as possible. Neither will make the summer squad so no point them wasting their time. 

13 defenders lol I know its an extended squad but he is just picking as many as possible becuase he doesn't know who he's going to pick. clear show that he will be continuing with his 532. 

• Like 1