Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Harvey Barnes named in full England squad

26 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

It would be great to see him get a few games for the England squad, rather than become one of those players that gets a handful of games. 

If we do sell him, I'd really like it to be to a glamour club in Europe. I think that would add real prestige to the club and set a precedent - we only sell for big money to UCL teams. 

For now - glad to see him in the shirt and might actually watch an England game for the first time since the world cup.

A lot of that will be on Harvey himself. If he consistently gets 10+ goals and assists a season then he will be right up there with the best wide forwards in Europe and will be banging on the door to start.

Last season Raheem Sterling scored 20 goals with 17 goals and 10 assists the season prior to that. Jadon Sancho had 17 goals and 16 assists. So I don't think any player can complain about not getting a run when players who are putting up those sort of numbers are ahead of you. 

Barnes can get there though, and Sterling should be the ultimate example. He too struggled with composure for a long time, but eventually cracked it. 

Well deserved new contract and call up though, he's taken his chance when given to him in a way that Gray never did. A very likable person and player too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adster said:

So what, though? 

At this moment in time, in order for us to be sustainable, it has to happen. 

Selling Maguire, Chilwell, Kante, Drinkwater etc 1 each per season hasn't particularly stalled our growth as a club has it? I'd argue it's gone pretty well so far. 

With a clever scouting team and our new world-class facilities, we're slowly building into a club that'll be able to get the most out of players potential and growth, and may be ever be able to keep our top talent at the club for longer. 

Hopefully Barnes and Chilwell, Hamza, young Thomas, etc are reminders of that the club needs to continue to focus on youth development. We have done well so far and in order for our club to compete and to sustain our model we need to keep faith in our young players and the youth system. We are still a long way off to change to a buy developed players model to properly compete with the likes of Man Utd and Man City.  We need to save a few spots in the first team squad for our next Barnes - hopefully young Thomas and Dewsbury-Hall can be next up. I also rate Hirst and am pretty excited about Leshabela.

Edited by Tom12345

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Hopefully Barnes and Chilwell, Hamza, young Thomas, etc are reminders of that the club needs to continue to focus on youth development. We have done well so far and in order for our club to compete and to sustain our model we need to keep faith in our young players and the youth system. We are still a long way off to change to a buy developed players model to properly compete with the likes of Man Utd and Man City.  We need to save a few spots in the first team squad for our next Barnes - hopefully young Thomas and Dewsbury-Hall can be next up. I also rate Hirst and am pretty excited about Leshabela.

Barnes is only in because Greenwood is out and there' 3 games in a week. 

I'd be surprised if he gets many minutes but what he has got in his favour is that he is already part of the England set up through the age groups and was even player of the tournament once.

Gareth loves players who have come through the ranks.

Congratulations to the lad. He's got tons of potential and I fully believe he'll be world class in future. I hope he feeds off the confidence shown in him. That all being said, given teams have games stacked on top of each other, in the middle of a pandemic, is this really a good time for some useless national game run by an absolutely useless manager? And sure players should take responsibility for themselves but I don't trust the national coaching staff or Southgate to deal with these players with the same due care and diligence that their clubs do.

He will be absolutely made up. Can see him really taking the shackles off and going for it given the right opportunity (depending on game time and tactics). In the opening games it feels like he's had an extra edge to his play, like he sees this season as a big one for his developing career.

I cannot wait to see what he can do.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

I think it's too early myself. Much the same as when Madders go his last year. I think caps should be handed out on persistant quality performances. But Eng toss them out willy nilly. Don't get me wrong, Harvey is going to be the DBs. But I'd rather he be capped when he's more rounded. His confidence is sky high and he has the emotional resilience to cope with the fall out of Southgate messing him around. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Babylon said:

Not much, Southgate will probably play him at right back or something. 

Good point that @Babylon Barnes seems like a confidence type player and if Southgate stifles his attacking threats by making him play out of position he may loose the form he's had all season and take a few games to recover.

Personally I think these international games are a waste of time, too much disruption to the season,  I  hope we can just go back to the world cup and be done with it

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I think it's too early myself. Much the same as when Madders go his last year. I think caps should be handed out on persistant quality performances. But Eng toss them out willy nilly. Don't get me wrong, Harvey is going to be the DBs. But I'd rather he be capped when he's more rounded. His confidence is sky high and he has the emotional resilience to cope with the fall out of Southgate messing him around. 

I do agree with this but It’s a double edged sword because then you can become stuck with the same old crowd in the squad even if they underperform.

I would rather exciting players with potential like Barnes than the same old crew like Alli, Dier, Walker etc that always seem to stink out the place