Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Harvey Barnes named in full England squad

Just now, Peckfortonfox said:

How does Harry Winks get in?? Just bang average yet in every squad

It's beggars belief, but Southgate absolutely loves weak non attacking central midfielders. Ross Barkley has been brilliant this season and he's nowhere to be seen either. 

• Like 2

Wan-Bissaka is an interesting one because you'd think given he's a Man United player that he'd be a shoe-in to get a call but he gets overlooked too. Now I do think he's overated but given the options and the fact we play 3 at the back, his defensive strengths might make him useful as a right centre back, more so than Walker anyway who's main strength is his pace going forward. 

Losing enthusiasm for the summer with every squad announced. 

Why are people moaning about Barnes not getting in the squad? He was only in there last time due to injuries and the bigger squad, now those players are back, he shouldn't be getting in that England side. Who do you say we drop and he gets in ahead of? Sterling, Sancho, Grealish or Rashford? Barnes is simply not as good as any of them and doesn't deserve to get called up ahead of them. The wings are probably England's strongest position at the moment.

Maddison is one we could maybe be aggrieved about, but he's not been fully fit since March and is still coming off the bench for us in league games. I'd much rather he had the 2 weeks rest right now regardless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Why are people moaning about Barnes not getting in the squad? He was only in there last time due to injuries and the bigger squad, now those players are back, he shouldn't be getting in that England side. Who do you say we drop and he gets in ahead of? Sterling, Sancho, Grealish or Rashford? Barnes is simply not as good as any of them and doesn't deserve to get called up ahead of them. The wings are probably England's strongest position at the moment.

Maddison is one we could maybe be aggrieved about, but he's not been fully fit since March and is still coming off the bench for us in league games. I'd much rather he had the 2 weeks rest right now regardless.

Bigger squad last time?! Yeah your right there was 30 in the squad last time and only 29 now!

Hardly any difference! 

This is honestly great news. Soyuncu and Evans both came back injured last time round, so would rather have two of our key players in Barnes and Maddison here at home ready to play meaningful games.

Both players will still have ample chance to get into the full squad come Euro 2021 if they continue to play the way they are. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Bigger squad last time?! Yeah your right there was 30 in the squad last time and only 29 now!

Hardly any difference! 

So, who would you take out from Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Grealish to get Barnes in? Or do you think we should extend the size of the squad even further to get even more wingers in?

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

So, who would you take out from Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Grealish to get Barnes in? Or do you think we should extend the size of the squad even further to get even more wingers in?

It's a fair point. We argued about Barnes a few weeks ago but the strength and depth we have out wide for England that aren't really utilised either shows its very difficult for Barnes right now. He's just got to keep improving for Leicester and see what happens, he isn't far off IMO. 

Don't even get me started on the central midfield decisions though from Southgate, disgraceful.

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Erm...my point was you said one of the reasons he was in the last squad was it was a bigger squad. I was simply pointing out to you that the squad is only 1 smaller this time so thats clearly not the reason. I said nothing about whether he should be in the squad or not so not sure why your asking me this? 

Simply put... Your having a mare. 

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Mate there's 6 players who can play right back in the squad.... he clearly has no concern with balance lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In this current climate there shouldn't imo even be any pointless and meaningless internationals. Injuries caused by lack of pre-season and volume of games aside, isn't this all unnecessary travel during the pandemic? All European clubs need to protect their bread and butter top flight football first and foremost. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

I actually applauded Southgate's appointment as England manager as it genuinely seemed like he was prepared to break the mould and select players on merit but he's either been brain-washed by FA officials or consciously changed his own judgement. Either way I think we are back to square one and might as well not have a manager and just let the FA pick the squad. England's loss is our gain but my personal interest in the internationals will be pretty much zero whilst the likes of Dier and Winks continue to be selected over Barnes and Maddison.