Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Same issues coming back to haunt us as the second half of last season.

Individual defensive errors, inability to create chances, when we do we can't take them.

We are slow and negative on the ball, first thought is to go backwards or sideways.

For me or lack of investment in attacking players is killing us, simply our forward players aren't good enough except for Vardy.

Difference is we haven't got 40-50 points on the board this time for a safety net 

3 hours ago, shailen said:

People need to get a grip and realise where we are in the league and how good our European campaign has been under Rodgers till now. Before the season started, a lot of people were fearing relegation and we're sitting 4th in league and have qualified for the next round of Europa league with top spot in our hands. 

We're able to compete with the so called bigger clubs without having the same financial muscle more consistently then any club has ever done before us. Rodgers is a huge part of that. 

This.

he can't win with some people, he does need to probably look at being more offensive, we are going through a dip in form every team in the league has them that without all the other factors.

people need to get a grip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big supporter of Rodgers, and don't think the scoreline yesterday was a fair reflection of the match. 

That said, the thing that frustrated me was the match yesterday was effectively a free hit. When he was making the subs, why did he go for like-for-like replacements? Instead, he should have been bolder and gone for the win - for example, pairing Perez and Ihenacho together would have given us a more direct attacking threat, and bringing on Maddison a little earlier. 

Instead, he kept it safe to try to maintain control, and we ended up losing anyway. 

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Footballs such a game of fine margins, Fofana gets a free header six yards out and should score. He completely fluffed it.

If he does score, or Under scores when he went through 1:1, I’ve no doubt we go on and win the game and it’s pats on the back all around and we’re saying what a fine manager BR is.

The same thing happened against Fulham, Fofana misses a sitter and they go down the other end a few minutes later and score.

Now, I’m not saying everything is rosey and we should all be happy with recent results and performances, but we are not far away.

My issue, not so much yesterday as I knew it wouldn't be easy with so many rusty players being thrown in. In games where we should be dominating, we can't be talking about one chance changing the fate of a game. We shouldn't be relying on one good chance in a game. We should be creating at least 5 or 6 good chances in a game against a team like Fulham, to rely on fine margins in a game when you're a clear favourite is very poor. It's a very cliche excuse that doesn't hold much merit in my opinion.

I'm happy to keep backing Rodgers as he is dealing with extra european games and missing a fair few key players. It's frustrating when he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and then won't accept it.

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The guy can't win. He's not without faults, I grant you, but the over analysis of his every move is a bit pathetic. 

It’s as simple as asking why are we insisting on playing this insipid style that clearly hasn’t worked for nearly a year now (and before that of truthful, little has changed in that regard since the appointment of Puel - perhaps the brief comes from someone above the management team that they want us to play in this style for some reason).

Its just such a negative, boring style.

As I say up until the last 4 games I thought the penny had dropped, I thought we’d done away with it, found a way to combat it, turned a corner but nope, it’s back.

I understand there is a time and place to play the style we’re playing, I’m not saying it bad period but when it’s constant, every game, that’s when it’s bad and grates.

Finally it seems people are joining me on saying these things, for large parts I felt I was a lone voice.

The amount of times we’ve set up and played in such a negative, boring style in the last year or more has far outweighed the times we’ve been positive and excited by performances.

I just wish reporters had the bollocks to call him (and other managers) out on it - atleast ask the questions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

What I find most confusing and really disappointing at the moment is no one is really working off the ball to make space, draw defenders and create chances. Everything and everyone is static. We are easy to defend against. Now, how much of that if anything is down to Rodgers instructions?  I can't imagine he's telling them to just play so passively and statically. 

..as soon as a team adjust to nullify our plan, we can't react, as we do not know what to do!!!

If the players do not receive instructions to combat this they will only go through the motions as they are unsure of carrying out the original  plan.

Once you start to lose a foothold in the match,  then you need someone who can get hold of the team, to stay in the game, until you can readjust, to what is now infront of you. Too many of our games tend to end up this way and we need a midfield general, who can boss the team or even for Tielemans, in respect of formations, to make on field decisions as the game enfolds. 

It is these kind of games that you really need to judge a player, the ability to affect a game when the energy levels are low all over the pitch.

Like the Liverpool player said, it is unfair that teams do not play  how we want them to play, we need to be flexible in our approach and application.

I think he might be in trouble. 

6 league games left until January. Three of those we could feasibly expect to lose (UTD, Spurs and Everton). If we do in fact lose those games as well as dropping any points against Palace, Brighton or Sheffield we could well be looking at mid table given how tight the league is. 

Its unquestionable that in this calendar year, we've been under par. A win rate of 40% is undeniable evidence of that BUT he's always had the shield of a good league position (of which he also deserves credit) to hide behind. If that league position slips then he's left to explain 17 wins in 40 odd games. 

I'm not saying I think he SHOULD be sacked. In all honesty, I don't know. 

We've been successful under him and there is an argument we should stick with him and play the long game, similar to Klopp at Liverpool but there is also an argument against the brand of football we play under him and the mentality of his team which saw us bottle CL football last year. 

Wether you agree with it or not, if we are sitting outside the top 6 come january, I think the powers that be at the KP may be asking him some hard questions. 

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

6 league games left until January. Three of those we could feasibly expect to lose (UTD, Spurs and Everton). If we do in fact lose those games as well as dropping any points against Palace, Brighton or Sheffield we could well be looking at mid table given how tight the league is. 

Its unquestionable that in this calendar year, we've been under par. A win rate of 40% is undeniable evidence of that BUT he's always had the shield of a good league position (of which he also deserves credit) to hide behind. If that league position slips then he's left to explain 17 wins in 40 odd games. 

We've been successful under him and there is an argument we should stick with him and play the long game, similar to Klopp at Liverpool but there is also an argument against the brand of football we play under him and the mentality of his team which saw us bottle CL football last year. 

Wether you agree with it or not, if we are sitting outside the top 6 come january, I think the powers that be at the KP may be asking him some hard questions. 

Rodgers is going nowhere unless we are dragged into a relegation battle or after a prolonged period of bad form they have someone else (and equal/better) lined up. I don't see either as being likely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Not sure the powers that be will regard failing to finish in the top 6 as a sackable offence, and nor should they tbf, even in a normal season.

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Rodgers is going nowhere unless we are dragged into a relegation battle or after a prolonged period of bad form they have someone else (and equal/better) lined up. I don't see either as being likely. 

You are probably right. 

Although, I do think a conversation needs to be had with him. Our form maybe hasn't been bad, but it's not been good either. The standard of football we play seems to be declining. 

He needs to be honest to the board (I'm not suggesting he hasn't) about how we go forward and what we need to do as a club to achieve the goals they've set out, which I think we are JUST ABOUT achieving currently. And by that I mean, yes we are currently achieving top 6 position but we certainly don't look like a top six team. We look like we are punching above our weight. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with criticism of the managers selections/tactics. He has made mistakes in the last few weeks, but we really need to think bigger picture here.

We are 4th in the league, and top of our Europa League group. That is incredible if you take injuries into account. No doubt we are going through a spell of bad form but that will always happen from time to time, and managers like players will have periods of poor form.

The process is working, but we still have plenty to work on. I'd still be thrilled with European football again next year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not sure the powers that be will regard failing to finish in the top 6 as a sackable offence, and nor should they tbf, even in a normal season.

Arguably not a sackable offence, your prob right but certainly under achieving.

I have to believe that our goal as a club is more than mid table positions given the wages that we pay him which are certainly top 6 level. 

Ofcourse, he still is holding his end of the bargain in terms of where we are but my initial point was that if that starts to waver, some serious questions could be asked of him. 

43 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I have to believe that our goal as a club is more than mid table positions given the wages that we pay him which are certainly top 6 level. 

Ofcourse, he still is holding his end of the bargain in terms of where we are but my initial point was that if that starts to waver, some serious questions could be asked of him. 

Puel got sacked because he was a mid table manager at best... so yes the expectations are a lot higher than a few years ago. We are looking to improve to a level where European football is a regular thing, with even challenging for top 4. 

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

This.

he can't win with some people, he does need to probably look at being more offensive, we are going through a dip in form every team in the league has them that without all the other factors.

people need to get a grip

Agreed he is by no means perfect but unless you're Pep from 2 years ago or Jurgen Klopp, I'd go as far and say every other manager in the league has had spells where they have struggled. However overall under Rodgers, we've probably got the best record we've ever had in the PL, nearly qualified for CL last season and are on course again based on the first 10 or so games. 

What do people expect? Would you rather be an Arsenal or United fan at the moment? We're arguably better than both those clubs at the moment who dominated English football for decades. Little Leicester city mixing it consistently with the big boys. 

But yeah, Rodgers out 🙄

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

His salary is out of step for sure, and that's something that'll have to be reviewed in hindsight because it's done now. This penchant we have for handing out new contracts can be rather counterproductive at times.

Our financials put us 7th-10th - I've said before that a top half finish is a reasonable expectation nowadays.

We have a good recent history of playing well on the counter attack which isn’t surprising given the personnel we have 

To really improve the issue was breaking down the sides that sit in 

I can’t say I’ve seen much progress in that regard in the past year which was surely one of Brendan’s primary objectives 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

We have a good recent history of playing well on the counter attack which isn’t surprising given the personnel we have 

To really improve the issue was breaking down the sides that sit in 

I can’t say I’ve seen much progress in that regard in the past year which was surely one of Brendan’s primary objectives 

I think we are far more capable of penetrating attractive football under Rodgers than under Puel, so he has improved that aspect, but that is usually the last piece of the jigsaw for any manager.

Players with the quality to unlock tight packed defences cost big money, it's always going to be difficult.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s as simple as asking why are we insisting on playing this insipid style that clearly hasn’t worked for nearly a year now (and before that of truthful, little has changed in that regard since the appointment of Puel - perhaps the brief comes from someone above the management team that they want us to play in this style for some reason).

Its just such a negative, boring style.

As I say up until the last 4 games I thought the penny had dropped, I thought we’d done away with it, found a way to combat it, turned a corner but nope, it’s back.

I understand there is a time and place to play the style we’re playing, I’m not saying it bad period but when it’s constant, every game, that’s when it’s bad and grates.

Finally it seems people are joining me on saying these things, for large parts I felt I was a lone voice.

The amount of times we’ve set up and played in such a negative, boring style in the last year or more has far outweighed the times we’ve been positive and excited by performances.

I just wish reporters had the bollocks to call him (and other managers) out on it - atleast ask the questions.

The difference between Rodgers and Puel is that the latter had far less talent to choose from.

• Like 4