Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

BOYCOTT OF PAY PER VIEW GAMES

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why? The whole point of track and trace and isolation is to keep the virus out of the community. If we’re just going shut all outdoor venues, we may as well not bother with it.

You're correct. Well...... you would be if T&T was working smoothly..... It isn't. 

I don't think anybody expects to receive all live football for free, but it's the greed that rubs people up the wrong way. 

EFL clubs have this iFollow in which a lot of them have paid either a full season ticket or subsidised ST price and receive live commentary and coverage of their home games. Then if they wish to watch away games, it's an additional £10. 

EFL clubs haven't just forked out a collective £1.2bn on transfers, during a pandemic. Those clubs actually do need the money from their fans and I have no problem with it. They'd probably be grateful that they can watch them, as they were unlikely to find a stream or be on TV anyway.

What the Premier League have done is pure greed given the ridiculous money that they receive from broadcasters. I read that Amazon pay £90m just to show those 20 games in December. Add to that, the clear disparity in which clubs are on PPV (Fulham x6). It stinks.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sadly it doesn't look like the boycott is working. £2.1m made just from our game against Arsenal last night.

It depends, the london based Liverpool fans and a london team in Arsenal are always going to have a high proportion who will spend as they're used to doing so. SImilarly more pubs in London will have signed up (assume pub purchase is included?)

I'd imagine Sky would be more concerned by how low the Man Utd figure is! That's a true reflection.

I think they tend to hit between 500k and 1m views on most Super Sunday games so I doubt they will be happy with this.

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sadly it doesn't look like the boycott is working. £2.1m made just from our game against Arsenal last night.

Is 140k a decent amount for a Ppv event? £2.1m is ok on paper not sure how much it costs to put on a live tv broadcast but I’d imagine the £300k bought in for our game against Villa would barely cover costs lol

Edited by kyleolly

What law is actually being broken if one watches (not hosts) a stream? I can’t think of one. There’s even a 2014 ruling by the ECJ that watching illegal streams is not in itself illegal. I note all the ‘scary’ articles with quotes from the police etc are very carefully worded: by paying for it you “can be sure” you’re not breaking the law, there’s a “risk of malware”, some people hosting illegal streams got long sentences, ooh, scary. 

I don’t think it is illegal. Does anyone know different?

17 hours ago, Mehrez said:

Did Mike Ashley not vote for this to be implemented like 3 weeks ago 

17 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Likely he did. But at least he's had the balls to publicly say it needs to change, actually listening to the fans.

So he thought £14.95 was acceptable 3 weeks ago when voting for it and now there's been a backlash he's saying it's not acceptable.

Guest Markyblue
Just now, sdb said:

Much higher numbers than I'd anticipated. Really wanted this to be a total failure.

I would imagine a high % of those paying out are not normally match day fans.

6 minutes ago, sdb said:

Much higher numbers than I'd anticipated. Really wanted this to be a total failure.

It's not that surprising when you think how much people will pay for merchandise, food and some match prices.

11 minutes ago, sdb said:

The thing is the numbers sound high but Sky and BT are seeing them numbers as a total failure as a lot of people would blame Sky and BT for the prices when really it has nothing to do with them on what is charged.

Sky and BT are massively against charging PPV on football apparently they want to show them as part of their own package because they feel they will get more subscriptions (which they would) but its the Premier league that want the PPV. Sky and BT get £12 per match for 'expenses' the league get £3. 

I imagine if they were to drop the price Sky and BT will still want 75% of what ever the price is if it stays on PPV. 

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

The thing is the numbers sound high but Sky and BT are seeing them numbers as a total failure as a lot of people would blame Sky and BT for the prices when really it has nothing to do with them on what is charged.

Sky and BT are massively against charging PPV on football apparently they want to show them as part of their own package because they feel they will get more subscriptions (which they would) but its the Premier league that want the PPV. Sky and BT get £12 per match for 'expenses' the league get £3. 

I imagine if they were to drop the price Sky and BT will still want 75% of what ever the price is if it stays on PPV. 

Aye. In the long run PPV is a potential threat to their business. Without the PL Sky's subscription income would suffer I'm sure they've already lost a lot because of Netflix and Amazon Prime.

18 hours ago, HereBeFoxes said:

What law is actually being broken if one watches (not hosts) a stream? I can’t think of one. There’s even a 2014 ruling by the ECJ that watching illegal streams is not in itself illegal. I note all the ‘scary’ articles with quotes from the police etc are very carefully worded: by paying for it you “can be sure” you’re not breaking the law, there’s a “risk of malware”, some people hosting illegal streams got long sentences, ooh, scary. 

I don’t think it is illegal. Does anyone know different?

I'm not aware of anyone watching a stream has been prosecuted. 

19 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

If Mike Ashley is calling out the PL for being money grabbers, it highlights there actually is a problem 

Before we all jump on the "well said Mike Ashley" bandwagon, Newcastle fans are still waiting for refunds from season tickets.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/15/newcastle-fans-demand-season-ticket-money-back-supporters-trust