Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

AEK Athens Post Match Thread - 29/10/2020

26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That’s probably deliberate from Rodgers as a wake up call. He was signed for big money and given an extended run in the team. Nacho got dropped and fought back. Mendy was the forgotten man and fought back. This is on Ayoze - there is a good player in there somewhere and he needs to show it otherwise his career here is done. 

Never thought I'd agree with that. It really is on him now to show what he's made of as he has the talent and the skills.

But does he have the heart or belief? If Rodgers can't get it from him I don't know who will.

Starting to show that we have a squad with real competition now. That urgency and energy level starting to show itself in the play.

Actually getting to the point where I love watching us defend and press more then anything else. Can't wait for the work rate of team to hit the highest gear.

To those who moan about our lack of depth, Morgan And Albrighton probably our two best tonight. Not saying they can do it long term, especially big Wes given his age but he bossed the 18 yard box and won nearly everything in the air. Marc was the true pro once again, putting in a shift and trying to make things happen.

An away win in Europe, on a dodgy pitch with crap officials with half of our first choice 11 injured, some of the normal stand-ins carrying niggles or needing to be rested and rotated or preserved (mendy,Fuchs, Praet etc) is a great result. Maybe we are not as weak as some think.

mixed feelings on the international break. On the one hand we could do with the break, but on the other some will be playing even more games and am dreading more injuries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That’s probably deliberate from Rodgers as a wake up call. He was signed for big money and given an extended run in the team. Nacho got dropped and fought back. Mendy was the forgotten man and fought back. This is on Ayoze - there is a good player in there somewhere and he needs to show it otherwise his career here is done. 

...I am surprised you are looking at Ayozes' situation in this light!!!

Very much being asked to play in a role that does not suit him and struggles every game to give us what we can clearly see Ünder will supply in bucket loads. We can not judge him in this role and playing off a big man is not going to be a plan that Rodgers will be seeking to implement any time soon.

We have to admit that we got it wrong and that is down to the people who thought he could fit, in a role crying out to be filled and now find out that they have got it wrong. No blame to be attached to Perez, he does his best in the role he has been given, and unless he plays as a two upfront, we are in no position to continually lambast him for what he gives us, we got it wrong!!!

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers doesn't help him by playing him as a winger 👀 

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Very much being asked to play in a role that does not suit him and struggles every game to give us what we can clearly see Ünder will supply in bucket loads. We can not judge him in this role and playing off a big man is not going to be a plan that Rodgers will be seeking to implement any time soon.

We have to admit that we got it wrong and that is down to the people who thought he could fit, in a role crying out to be filled and now find out that they have got it wrong. No blame to be attached to Perez, he does his best in the role he has been given, and unless he plays as a two upfront, we are in no position to continually lambast him for what he gives us, we got it wrong!!!

Good players adapt their game - he’s a lightweight who provides only fleeting moments of quality.

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would have been lovely if Vardy had just stuck that frankly unbelievable cross in from Luke at the start of the 2nd half. Amazing cross, especially for his first touch of the game.

Ridiculously good cross. Thomas looked composed, great to see Rodgers trusts him

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Honestly I don't think he does, as not everyone in life has it. Gray for me also seems to have given up and thus has hardly been used at all so far this season. But it's all on the player... in the Athetic article about Wesley Fofana, Rodgers described him as a "Silver Medalist" player, IE a really good player but one that was never in the French youth teams. But the advantage he sees in Silver Medalist players is that they have to develop an iron will to succeed and as such they often make it whereas players who were the best in their age category do not.

Nacho for me is a great example. He was completely left out of the first 6 PL squads last season I believe and everyone thought he was done. But behind closed doors he was fighting like a Lion and when he came back into the team it was hard to believe it was the same player! No longer was he playing lazy, but closing down like a man possessed and he got his moment with the winner against Everton in the last minute.

I often see Perez look sheepish both in a game and as he's withdrawn. Whereas tonight I see players like Fuchs and Albrighton fight hard when on the pitch. These guys aren't as good as other players we have but their mental strength is such that they are valuable squad players, maybe even more. Right now Perez has to either fight his way back in or hope that Under gets injured, because Under was putting in a lot of work all game long. He missed a good opportunity in one half but kept going, putting in a great cross for Maddison and then hitting the post with an outstanding strike. He also looked a bit frustrated to be coming off, even though it was clearly pre-planned! That right there is the mental difference between a player that will make it and one that won't.

But I would happily see myself proved wrong and see Perez redeem himself! He's not an unlikable player, he's just wildly inconsistent.

Agree with everything on here!... Apart from the last statement. For me Perez is very consistent. Consistanly bad, seldom does he have a good game and like others have said he's only had a long run in the team because of what he cost and lack of other options. Now Under is here unless he shows heart and desire in training he won't be a first 11 player again. 

• Like 1

Perez’ best role is probably in a two up front with Kelechi when Vardy sits.  After that, backing up Maddison as a #10.  Don’t see him as a regular starter with Under and Praet in the squad, and he was never suited to the wing anyway.  But he can be a good squad player for us, which is fine except when you consider his wages and transfer fee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Sadly, for all his apparent endeavour, in whatever position you play him he will still be physically and therefore ineffectual. This he could do something about. Ricardo, like many others, had to adapt to the physicality of the game yet Perez had already been here for several very unremarkable years bar one. Regardless of position, he doesn't appear to even recognise his obvious weaknesses let alone do anything about them. Thankfully we have a choice of players now. As for the role of that position behind Vardy, Maddison, Iheanacho, Barnes or even Tielemans or Praet would be far more effective. It's time for him to recognise his weaknesses and either shape up or ship out, he has to now take personal responsibility and adapt.