Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

AEK Athens Post Match Thread - 29/10/2020

12 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I know people were bitterly disappointed to miss out on the champions leauges but the europa league is really playing into our hands this season. 

No way we could play a side with Morgan, Fuchs, Albrighton, Justin and Choudry and still win away in the champions league. 

And weve rested plenty of players for Leeds on Monday. 

For me, CL qualification was less about the competition itself and more about our development as a club with the revenue it brings and the prestige for attracting top players to the club.  I think that our transfer budget was trimmed as a result of missing out.

That said, I think I'm over it now (finally), I'm enjoying the EL and we appear to have had an excellent window regardless.  

58 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Absolutely pathetic. Officiating was a joke by the end of that game. 

The female ref from the game against Zorhya stood out as head and shoulders above the one from yesterday. She let the game flow making for an exciting game. Last night despite the close scoreline the game was stop and go and had almost no rhythm in the second half for either side. Luke Thomas did well not to lose his cool after that yellow card because that was one of the worst yellows I've seen given in a very long time. Credit to him, he had a strong game when he was on the pitch and the slower pace of the game suited him, his technical quality was there for all to see.

We have to get used to European football again though. Teams will dive often, play will be less intense than the Premier League and more strategic / tactical. I think it will suit some players like Tielemans, Mendy, Maddison and Praet though, as they will have more time and space to operate in. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

These suggestions of resting players etc. are interesting in these difficult financial times we are all living in. Yes of course EPL points win you cash as far as the final standings are concerned.   But.

For the 2019–20 season, group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €2,920,000. A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000.

Not sure if these numbers are same for 2020-21 given Covid-19 etc.

Not to be sniffed at though!

I read this week that Man U made about £25 million off the tournament in total - obvs that will be related to their sponsorship bonuses as well but even half of that is a decent sum. 

13 hours ago, Rain King said:

Perez can't be happy. Just him left on the bench with two 'keepers 😂

The guy needs to step up big time; that picture was very telling. 

Seriously good result though, great team away performance albeit a bit lucky if they had better finishers.

The pitch was amazing and worse than the village field that out juniors play on. 

Thought Wes deserved MOTM overall given he plays only when planets align 🙂

Good win again last night - I thought we were excellent in the first half and played some nice stuff in the second half at times too. Maddison looked really sharp and Under is starting to find his feet too which is really encouraging - that strike he had that hit the post was disgusting. At the back bar the Morgan-Fuchs error before half time and the quick fire double of chances that led to the goal and a second opportunity straight after, I felt we kept it tight and weren't really threatened bar shots from distance. Overall a good win on the road.

Really pleased to have 6 points from 6 on the board as we've essentially broken the back of qualifying from the group really early on. Another win from the remaining 4 games should just about be enough, which takes the heat off us a little bit in an intense run of fixtures pre-Christmas. In beating AEK away we've also got a win in our hardest game outside of the fixtures against Braga which gives us a good platform to go on and take control of the group in the next two games. If we can best Braga with a win and a draw, then barring any major fvck ups against Zorya and AEK in the reverse fixtures we'll wrap up the group. 

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

BIg result away in Europe, on a crap pitch with the entire first choice back four and the no1 CDM all injured.

Take that every day of the week.

--------------------Ndidi-------------------

Castagne Soyuncu Evans Ricardo

Sub: Amartey

That back five that is out injured for us you could argue a case for being the best back five in the league. If Morgan, Fuchs, Fofana, Justin, Mendy and Thomas can hold the fort for a month or two whilst these get fit then anything is on the cards this season. 

40 minutes ago, Fox42 said:

There’s just been a 7.0 magnitude earthquake off the Greek coast and was felt around Athens. Hope everyone out there is safe.

Seems that Izmir (Cags hometown) has bore the brunt of the casualties from the earthquake :(

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Those sort of games last night are the reason that Morgan and Alrighton were kept around. We all know they shouldn't be starting games regularly, but they'll get some minutes as subs over the course of the season and 3 or 4 games as starters, and they're absolutely perfect for that role.

Yep. Only saw the first half as I said earlier but apart from one heavy touch Morgan was excellent, putting his head in and blocking. Fuchs as well with his third game in a week.

They aren't the players they were but they'll be a huge miss when they do go.