Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Coming up to 10 years at the club. 

Schmeichel has saved us numerous times so it's hard to criticise him. He literally carried us in the Champions League both legs against Sevilla. But there's a reason he has stayed with us for 10 years.

He plays in an era where GK are required to be decent on the ball and distribute well. All his dad had to do was boot it up the field for Sheringham or Yorke to win the flick ons.

I think it's underestimated how big a change playing out from the back has been. We started doing it three years ago, maybe more recently? Schmeichel's played for 15 years as a professional and hasn't been asked to do it before in his first 12/13 years. That's a huge change in style.

It's an old cliche but goalkeepers really did used to be judged on their goalkeeping. Schmeichel's short passing is wildly inconsistent yet he can still bang some excellent long passes which start attacks and even create goals.

I think the likes of Ederson haven't helped the modern goalkeeper- it is unrealistic to expect them all to be great with their feet.

• Like 2

All goalkeepers make mistakes, how easy people forget his one on one save against Welbeck in the Brighton game which would have seen us go a goal down.

Anyone think he maybe over focusing on trying to help out and organises a second string defence which may have left him a little unfocused on he own game.

His been battered this week on here and people let slip the fact Vardy missed a sitter of a header.

Get all the players backs.

Before season KO, people were talking about how we have a crap squad and should worry about being in a relegation battle. 

We are 4th playing a season a 3rd of the season with a second string defence. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

people keep saying he rarely makes mistakes but his woeful distribution should be included too, question is how much the club want to fix that, seemingly they don't see it as a bog priority so it is what it is

The way he distributes the ball it feels like its something the club ask him to do. He plays short lofted balls out to the full back a lot so much so it feels like a tactic rather than his choice. Its the main criticism I have of him. Uts such a shit pass that puts the full back under immediate pressure in a tight area.

• Like 1

Kasper is a good keeper and got to be regarded as one of the best for Leicester.

At this moment in time his biggest weakness to deal with crosses/corners is being exposed due to our limited defensive presence in the box. Over the past year Kasper has had the odd good game but there’s been more games where he had made some big mistakes.

I’m hoping with players like Castange, Wilf, Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu back in the team this corner problem will solve itself. However I’m not sure how good in the air Castange is.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The way he distributes the ball it feels like its something the club ask him to do. He plays short lofted balls out to the full back a lot so much so it feels like a tactic rather than his choice. Its the main criticism I have of him. Uts such a shit pass that puts the full back under immediate pressure in a tight area.

Yeah I hate this pass to but it’s clearly a tactic, it’s a good pass but not the way he persistently floats it. I’d be shitting my pants as a full back receiving that pass.

25 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Yeah I hate this pass to but it’s clearly a tactic, it’s a good pass but not the way he persistently floats it. I’d be shitting my pants as a full back receiving that pass.

Yeah if the pass is on the full back along the floor it's fine, but the floated one give time for them to be closed down and is either head or chest height so is harder to control.

On 19/12/2020 at 09:06, Nick said:

For every ‘howler’ Kasper commits he makes on ratio probably 20 match winning reactionary saves. Underrated by too many. I’m not sure I’d trade him this season for the form of any other keeper in the PL.

This was highlighted today. That mistake vs Everton was more than made up for with that exceptional save from Son. 

Underrated how he martials that back line.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around the club when he retires. I appreciate his family is up in the North West but get the impression he has a deep connection with the club.

I was thinking about the helicopter tradegy the other day and how that impacted Kasper on a personal level given that he seemed to have a close relationship with Vichai and the fact that he witnessed the incident and the immediate aftermath. Psychologically that must be with him everyday. 

I'd love him to be involved long term but have a feeling that he'll disappear up to the North West and we'll occasionally see him for the odd guest appearance. 

• Like 1