Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

1 minute ago, PhillippaT said:

Who else in the team has a big potty-mouth? :P 

He's right up there with Henderson and Rooney with the biggest little shits I've seen verbally. However I believe this is actually a positive thing as they fight tooth and nail for everything. 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Have you considered that the figure quoted puts hime 6th best at it in the league. Allison has a % of 1.6, De Gea 2.8. The best in the league is only 15%, its not a high scoring stat.

...I am aware that it is a low scoring stat regarding this....!!!

The trend today is to punch crosses away as opposed to catching them back in the old days. There was always the possibility of dropping the ball or a robust challenge dislodging a ball from the keepers grip and it finding itself into the net. Trends and application change and we now have a keeper reluctant to come off his line and do not contest crosses as he used to (he used to punch said crosses quite well) and exerts added pressure on his team by his actions. I would like to see him take a catch from a corner, or pick a ball off the head of forward,in order to relieve the defense.

I am not making out that Kasper is a poor keeper, he has always being poor in judging shots from distance but very good at close range, the issue is the a stat that seems to be held as some kind of podium for his excellence comes down to a ratio that I do not believe even he would be proud of.

33 minutes ago, sdb said:

He's more solid than 80% of PL keepers. He makes mistakes but very rarely.

Depends what you regard as mistakes,

Distribution 

Kicking to opponent 

Handling

The Latter he is normally very good with.

Also, if we are the worst team at defending set pieces/ Corners. Doesn’t the Goalkeeper take SOME responsibility for this.

Marshalling defence, commanding Area etc

I know we Zonally defend but he has a better view of what’s going on than any of the Defenders.

I Think Kasper suffers from a mental block when it comes to coming for corners and crosses.

Either that or he has judgement issues in judging the speed of the Ball which seems unlikely.

His Father was possibly the best ever, if he couldn't help him with how to deal with crosses I doubt he going to learn now at his age. All of his shouting is a way of allaying his fears.

To his credit he's saved us loads of times when a goal was more likely. i think we'll just have to live with his shortcomings until we are certain we can find better.

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I am aware that it is a low scoring stat regarding this....!!!

The trend today is to punch crosses away as opposed to catching them back in the old days. There was always the possibility of dropping the ball or a robust challenge dislodging a ball from the keepers grip and it finding itself into the net. Trends and application change and we now have a keeper reluctant to come off his line and do not contest crosses as he used to (he used to punch said crosses quite well) and exerts added pressure on his team by his actions. I would like to see him take a catch from a corner, or pick a ball off the head of forward,in order to relieve the defense.

I am not making out that Kasper is a poor keeper, he has always being poor in judging shots from distance but very good at close range, the issue is the a stat that seems to be held as some kind of podium for his excellence comes down to a ratio that I do not believe even he would be proud of.

Dude, use your brain. This is a strange one to get worked up about.

It's not that he comes for 12 crosses and catches 1, missing the other 11. If it was that glaring, it'd be far more noticeable across the globe. There'd be articles about a butterfinger pandemic!

I can only surmise that this stat includes all other crosses, which are either intercepted by defenders or converted by attackers.

Edited by shen
Sacré Bleu - it's maths!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shen said:

Dude, use your brain. This is a strange one to get worked up about.

It's not that he comes for 12 crosses and catches 1, missing the other 12. If it was that glaring, it'd be far more noticeable across the globe. There'd be articles about a butterfinger pandemic!

I can only surmise that this stat includes all other crosses, which are either intercepted by defenders or converted by attackers.

...not getting worked up about it!!!

Perhaps I should have delved into any caveats in respect of the stat. You need to check your maths though.

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I Think Kasper suffers from a mental block when it comes to coming for corners and crosses.

Either that or he has judgement issues in judging the speed of the Ball which seems unlikely.

His Father was possibly the best ever, if he couldn't help him with how to deal with crosses I doubt he going to learn now at his age. All of his shouting is a way of allaying his fears.

To his credit he's saved us loads of times when a goal was more likely. i think we'll just have to live with his shortcomings until we are certain we can find better.

Football in England was very different back then, with old-school wide wingers providing lofted crosses, hoofball tactics etc. There's a reason we've been saying for years that types like Albrighton are a dying breed of wingers.

There's no guarantee Peter would have been as successful if he was playing today.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...not getting worked up about it!!!

Perhaps I should have delved into any caveats in respect of the stat. You need to check your maths though.

Made a correction and didn't look at the second number, sorry. 
And when putting !!! it comes across rather aggressive, hence why I assumed you were getting agitated.

24 minutes ago, shen said:

Football in England was very different back then, with old-school wide wingers providing lofted crosses, hoofball tactics etc. There's a reason we've been saying for years that types like Albrighton are a dying breed of wingers.

There's no guarantee Peter would have been as successful if he was playing today.

Peter made some serious howlers too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

He's right up there with Henderson and Rooney with the biggest little shits I've seen verbally. However I believe this is actually a positive thing as they fight tooth and nail for everything. 

I didn't say it was a bad thing... ;) :D 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shen said:

The game hasn't changed only the pace and intensity has. Wingers will always be a part of the game because that's generally where the most space is. Where wingers have changed is that they have to do more nowadays than just hug the line. 

I remember a winger who used to stand and have a chat with the fans when the ball was on the opposite side of the pitch. They couldn't do that today.

The best ever is always open to opinion. But I studied Peter quite a bit and the one thing he done before games was was spent 15 to 20 minutes fielding crosses with two of the reserves.

He was good on crosses but then he had the height also as he was taller than Kasper.

Kasper is about at his level here.  

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

The game hasn't changed only the pace and intensity has. Wingers will always be a part of the game because that's generally where the most space is. Where wingers have changed is that they have to do more nowadays than just hug the line. 

I remember a winger who used to stand and have a chat with the fans when the ball was on the opposite side of the pitch. They couldn't do that today.

The best ever is always open to opinion. But I studied Peter quite a bit and the one thing he done before games was was spent 15 to 20 minutes fielding crosses with two of the reserves.

He was good on crosses but then he had the height also as he was taller than Kasper.

Kasper is about at his level here.  

According to the wiki, Peter is only 2cm taller than Kasper, so I'm not sure we can keep banging on about that.

I have to disagree about the game being the same, just a bit faster. Inverted wingers/forwards are the norm today. Lofted crosses from the by-line - or even from the channels - are surely much rarer today. It's just not efficient football and the mantra is either counterattacking football (no crosses) or creating of high-quality chances through the middle (again, no crosses, mostly through balls and cutbacks).

Even the ball structure and the goalkeeper gloves have changed significantly. The knuckleball technique wasn't a thing back when Peter played - folks like Juninho Pernambucano were only just starting in Europe then.

He’s a fine goal keeper but a shit footballer. His kicking/distribution with his feet is awful, always has been from what I can remember. He has 12/18 months left in him for me before we should start to consider replacing him (not fully, but at least start laying the groundwork), there’s no sentiment in football and he can’t go on forever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shen said:

Add to that the fact that footballs these days are not what they used to be. The random movement in the air on some of them is not normal. Much likely to be a major factor why keepers are less confident in coming for crosses and less confident in catching balls.

I played GK myself for a long time and I would rather a keeper punches a ball 30-40 yards than attempt a catch and drop it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Distribution 

Kicking to opponent 

Handling

Also, if we are the worst team at defending set pieces/ Corners. Doesn’t the Goalkeeper take SOME responsibility for this.

I know we Zonally defend but he has a better view of what’s going on than any of the Defenders.

The way we setup from a corner is terrible, it's down to coaching for me and how Brendan/team want them to line up. It's ridiculous we end up with Youri "marking" an opposition centre back but then have Forfona/Evans marking zonally..

However I have noticed on TV recently that Kasper hasn't sounded as loud as he initially did.

1 hour ago, shen said:

According to the wiki, Peter is only 2cm taller than Kasper, so I'm not sure we can keep banging on about that.

I have to disagree about the game being the same, just a bit faster. Inverted wingers/forwards are the norm today. Lofted crosses from the by-line - or even from the channels - are surely much rarer today. It's just not efficient football and the mantra is either counterattacking football (no crosses) or creating of high-quality chances through the middle (again, no crosses, mostly through balls and cutbacks).

Even the ball structure and the goalkeeper gloves have changed significantly. The knuckleball technique wasn't a thing back when Peter played - folks like Juninho Pernambucano were only just starting in Europe then.

I actually thought he was much taller than kasper.

The first one to play without wingers to my knowledge was Sir Alf when he caught everyone out in the 66 World Cup.

But Wingers haven't changed only that they are being asked to do more than just ping balls into the middle.  Mahrez wasn't much different to say George Best.

The one thing that has changed is the Balls which are probably too light and probably why we don't see many long range goals.

The other big change is the quality of the Coaching. It used to be about improving each player individually, where as today formations and pattern of play come into it a lot more. 

Counter attacking has been around a long time except it tended to be more direct in the old days.

Getting back to Kasper, He has his faults but I doubt we would get better unless we spent a lot or find a talented young Keeper waiting to make a break thru. Which is probably what we should be doing to take over in 2 to 3 years.

• Like 1

Coming up to 10 years at the club. 

Schmeichel has saved us numerous times so it's hard to criticise him. He literally carried us in the Champions League both legs against Sevilla. But there's a reason he has stayed with us for 10 years.

He plays in an era where GK are required to be decent on the ball and distribute well. All his dad had to do was boot it up the field for Sheringham or Yorke to win the flick ons.

18 minutes ago, Koke said:

Coming up to 10 years at the club. 

Schmeichel has saved us numerous times so it's hard to criticise him. He literally carried us in the Champions League both legs against Sevilla. But there's a reason he has stayed with us for 10 years.

He plays in an era where GK are required to be decent on the ball and distribute well. All his dad had to do was boot it up the field for Sheringham or Yorke to win the flick ons.

Harsh. He was probably the best thrower of a ball in his profession at the time.

Kasper's distribution is erratic really. He is actually not as bad as some make out, but it is frustrating and potentially costly when he fluffs his lines.

There are probably more reasons to him staying with us for nearly ten years, but I do think he's one of those players who's good enough to be a mainstay for a decent club like ours, but not quite good enough to be at an elite club. A bit like Baines, Cahill, Eriksen, Friedel etc.

18 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Distribution 

Kicking to opponent 

Handling

Always a weakness with Kasper and teams know to target crosses / corners and Free Kicks.Got away with it in our Title win due to the aerial dominance of Huth and Wes.

Has he ever been under pressure for his place in the last 4-5 years?  I think his habit of gifting chances or the odd howler is a result of lack of competition even when we might have a decent replacement in Ward 

would it hurt to remind him he needs to be on his toes?