Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sjf123

Schmeichel's Kicking

Could one of the tactical analysts help me out? I’m struggling to understand the tactical thinking behind Schmeichel’s constant lofted passes to the right wing well inside our own half.

These passes either go straight out for a throw-in to the opposition or the lofted trajectory allows the opposition player the opportunity of a great run and jump to win the ball in a dangerous area.

Our central defenders who have split wide to offer Schmeichel the alternative short pass are then scrambling to get back in position.

It happens every game. Braga’s second goal came directly from this, and it caused issues throughout the game. Against better teams like Liverpool it’s suicidal to concede possession every time in this dangerous area with defenders split out of position.

For all of Schmeichel’s fantastic shop-stopping abilities, it seems as though more and more of his saves are only necessary because he’s given the ball away a few seconds earlier with this type of distribution.

Why is this a better tactic than simply lumping the ball longer? By hitting it longer, with a flatter trajectory, you allow the possibility of an opposition defender making a mistake in a dangerous area, or our attackers picking up the second ball if they were positioned higher up the pitch expecting this distribution. I may be wrong, but Schmeichel deliberately seemed to kick it longer when playing against Man City, Leeds and Arsenal, with more success.

I don’t notice any other goalkeepers constantly using this type of pass. It seems to create more issues than it solves. What is the tactical reasoning behind it?

• Like 3

His distribution has always been inconsistent/poor.

It's mainly the only part of his game that needs improving.

But you won't find any tactical answers on a forum. Some people like to over analyse and if they actually knew that much about tactics then they'd be football managers.

STOP QUOTING - Yes I admit my bottom line was wrong. Thank you.

Edited by Fox92

We’ve heard him talk before about how certain managers have asked him to distribute in a particular way. I think he looks for Albrighton on that side because of the old tactic of getting Vards in behind. Problem is he often can’t find that pass under pressure.

Said this for a while. Kasper is world class in some areas but he has some really glaring holes in his game. Namely his distribution and commanding of his area. Ironically yesterday I was watching the Braga keeper and was seriously impressed with his bravery in the box. 

• Like 1

I came to the conclusion last night that his poor distribution has actually been a blessing in disguise for us over the past few years as I suspect it's the reason he's never been poached by another club. Give me a keeper who can do what he does well regularly over one who's a world beater at playing out from the back.

• Like 3

Its frustrating, but worth remembering that outfield players don't get criticised every time they give the ball away. Kicking it out of play can happen, he doesn't always have much to aim at when aiming for someone by the touchline. Its the casual floaty passes into midfield which are the real danger, he seems to have cut the risky passes a bit lately but you're still guaranteed one scary moment. 

Him not coming off his line, ever, for crosses is a much bigger problem for me. 

I don't really pay attention to other keepers strengths but I'd be surprised if there is a better shot stopper from close range in world football. Someone will probably come back at me with a list of names but Kasper is brilliant at that. 

As frustrating as he can be, he wins more points than he loses. 

• Like 1

I would have thought the reasoning behind lofting a ball out to the wings is to try to draw the opposition full back out, making him think he's got time to get to the ball. If it comes off, there's a good chance of getting behind the fullback and if it doesn't, you give a throwin away which ends up a 50-50 chance of getting the ball back. If you boot it straight down the middle, all you're doing is giving them the ball.

I question whether Kasper's kicking is as bad as some people claim that it is.

I know that he sometimes messes up - kicks it to the opposition or straight out of touch.

I also agree that he seems to do that more often than the average PL keeper.

But I have the impression that he also takes more risks with his kicking than the average PL keeper - kicks aimed at players tight to the byline or taken very quickly when he gets the ball and spots a potential break.

Such kicks are more likely to go wrong - but also more likely to create extra surprise attacking opportunities....and I do also have the impression that he sets up more dangerous breaks than the average keeper.

I have no stats to back up this argument - it's just an impression...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stadt said:

If you know so much about the Beatles why aren't you in the band?

Because I was born 30 years later.

TBF I was being a bit of a dick, because I was annoyed with something (not this thread), with my post but we ain't gonna know in depth stuff or why he does this and that or what Brendan wants. Even though I think Brendan gets pissed off with his kicking at times.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

For me he’s one of the best keepers in the league at going long.

instead of trying this delicate chips to the wingbacks we’d get more success aiming at the opposition fullbacks and getting Vardy to attack the ball.

good chance of winning 2nd ball or a throw in to get us up the pitch 

I would suggest those criticising to try and hit a target with a pass half a pitch away. No one is going to have 100% accuracy with that its ridiculously hard. Kasper has a better success rate than most keeper with his passing. Ederson is the only one I've seen that doesn't really make mistakes but he's very much an exception to the rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a bit of an odd theory here. I think the issue with kaspers kicking, is that it’s quite good. Because he does technically have the ability to pull off some great balls, he’s simply over confident and tries the Hollywood ball too often. 

If he accepted it as weakness he wouldn’t be trying half the passes that he seems to mess up. 

But let’s be clear, Brendan is hardly going to set up a team of intricate, possession football then instruct kasper to just ‘have it’ 

1 hour ago, Sjf123 said:

Could one of the tactical analysts help me out? I’m struggling to understand the tactical thinking behind Schmeichel’s constant lofted passes to the right wing well inside our own half.

These passes either go straight out for a throw-in to the opposition or the lofted trajectory allows the opposition player the opportunity of a great run and jump to win the ball in a dangerous area.

Our central defenders who have split wide to offer Schmeichel the alternative short pass are then scrambling to get back in position.

It happens every game. Braga’s second goal came directly from this, and it caused issues throughout the game. Against better teams like Liverpool it’s suicidal to concede possession every time in this dangerous area with defenders split out of position.

For all of Schmeichel’s fantastic shop-stopping abilities, it seems as though more and more of his saves are only necessary because he’s given the ball away a few seconds earlier with this type of distribution.

Why is this a better tactic than simply lumping the ball longer? By hitting it longer, with a flatter trajectory, you allow the possibility of an opposition defender making a mistake in a dangerous area, or our attackers picking up the second ball if they were positioned higher up the pitch expecting this distribution. I may be wrong, but Schmeichel deliberately seemed to kick it longer when playing against Man City, Leeds and Arsenal, with more success.

I don’t notice any other goalkeepers constantly using this type of pass. It seems to create more issues than it solves. What is the tactical reasoning behind it?

This is his instruction. Rodgers Celtic team were the exact same, our keeper at the time Craig Gordon was similarly poor with his feet and every time he had the ball it was these pitching wedge type kick outs to the full backs 3/4 up our own half. We got away wtth it in Scotland as the other teams are so poor but we got absolutely crucifed in Europe doing it against the elite teams.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

I believe the logic is that our forward players are generally too short to compete for headers against 6ft3 centre-backs, whereas when you put our wing-backs up against a short winger, you are more likely to win the first ball.

The issue is that Schmeichel isn't very good at kicking it accurately at these short distances, and the other thing is that we struggle to then direct those headers into useful areas to win the second ball and keep it - that's not a surprise when you are then looking to flick it towards a winger with his back to goal.

We've looked worse without Chilwell in this respect, because one of his best assets was his aerial ability. Even Ricardo has a decent leap on him for a short guy. When we get him and Castagne back I think we'll have more success with this tactic.

His reluctance to command his area and relieve pressure on the defence will always cost more goals than his kicking ever will. I would be interested to see how many goals he has helped set up with his quick distribution as well, I bet it's fairly high compared to most keepers.

He's a great long kicker. Problem with his short distribution is that he pings it too hard at times and it either is impossible to control or goes out of play. Think he'd prefer to kick long but it's the way brendan wants us to play, and we won't get a better all round keeper unless we spend £50m+ so we'll have to accept it for now imo

26 minutes ago, filbertway said:

His reluctance to command his area and relieve pressure on the defence will always cost more goals than his kicking ever will. I would be interested to see how many goals he has helped set up with his quick distribution as well, I bet it's fairly high compared to most keepers.

how many goals do we concede from set pieces and crosses cos schmeichel stays on his line? answer not many

this another factor exaggerated massively by fans; neither of goals from set pieces against liverpool could kasper have done anything different with

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

His distribution has always been inconsistent/poor.

It's mainly the only part of his game that needs improving.

But you won't find any tactical answers on a forum. Some people like to over analyse and if they actually knew that much about tactics then they'd be football managers.

You will. 

Step up, @StriderHiryu.

• Like 1

His kicking is nigh on inexcusable given he must be practicing it, to be honest. Those weird sort of wedged efforts he does that look half-arsed and go higher than they do long, barely making it to the halfway line, are too frequent an occurrence.

I don't want to keep banging this drum because he's obviously an absolute club legend, but he seems to have completely avoided the scrutiny his dip in performance arguably merits. Whilst he's still obviously a decent goalkeeper – I just don't think he's quite at the level we're aspiring to be at, anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sometimes great (rarely)

Mostly a fvcking lottery

I shouldn't but there's something I don't like about him.  He is a good keeper.  There's plenty of teams that would take him.  It's just that he seems to be held in a higher bracket than he actually is.  I'm Burnley get relegated & we snatch Pope