Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fulham H Post Match Thread

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Good points. I was hoping to see Barnes as he's in form. Think at least one of them has to start regularly with Vardy. 

Idiotic that Barnes wasn’t playing tonight, misses a few , but he offers so much and seems to be the only one apart from vardy that is likely to score regularly

Just got home and finally watched the highlights and that pass to Lookman took out our whole defence so I can see why Kasper constantly looks pissed off.

One theory I have is Evans last chance atan international competition was crushed and in extra time no less is weighing him down.

The injured lot must be thinking this isn't going to be difficult walking back into the team. :ph34r:

If we fail to beat Sheffield then there’s something fundamentally wrong. If these lads have anything about them they will go out and give them a ****ing pasting. But what makes you laugh is Praet post match going on about smarting from the Liverpool game, just to roll over and be tickled by Fulham. Big week ahead for these lads. They got some soul searching to be doing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

The question I keep asking myself after all these same old same old home defeats when we put out a cautious team, build up slowly, barely test the keeper, misplace passes, offer zero threat at corners, get caught on the counter, then concede a sloppy goal or two is this:

Is Rodgers too arrogant to acknowledge, identify and correct these chronic deficiencies in his team that are staring him in the face week in week out?

Or is he just incapable of fixing them?

...does not know how to fix them!!!

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Negative. Slow. Lazy. Soft. Passive. Brainless. Sloppy.

Any more?

We are somehow even more reliant on the counter and Jamie Vardy than we were a few years ago. We are getting worse at breaking teams down.

Completely the wrong system tonight. I get playing defensively against the big teams that will come at us, keeping things solid, playing on the break, and bringing the creative players on with 20 minutes to go to give them the best chance against a tired defence, but it seems like Rodgers thinks 'well it was good enough to beat Arsenal and Man City, so why would it not work against West Ham, Aston Villa, and Fulham?'.

I don't understand why he doesn't field attacking players from the start in these matches, take the game to the opposition, put the game to bed, and then rest the key players with substitutions. Especially as we don't actually have 5 fit first team defenders, why is he persisting with this setup and leaving Nacho, Barnes, and Under on the bench against the team in 19th? He knows these teams will try and sneak a goal and then park 11 men behind the ball, and we don't have the guile to break them down. Vardy is amazing but he is not a 1 man army and Rodgers can't keep expecting him to pull a rabbit out of the hat to save the day every match.

Fuchs has played almost 270 minutes in the last week, so why not rest him and put an extra attacker on from the start, and bring him on (ala Big Wes) if we have something to hold onto at the end? Forfana and Evans would have been more than enough to keep Fulham at bay today, we didn't need a back 5 with a defensive midfielder infront of them (Mendy).

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Completely the wrong system tonight. I get playing defensively against the big teams that will come at us, keeping things solid, playing on the break, and bringing the creative players on with 20 minutes to go to give them the best chance against a tired defence, but it seems like Rodgers thinks 'well it was good enough to beat Arsenal and Man City, so why would it not work against West Ham, Aston Villa, and Fulham?'.

I don't understand why he doesn't field attacking players from the start in these matches, take the game to the opposition, put the game to bed, and then rest the key players with substitutions. Especially as we don't actually have 5 fit first team defenders, why is he persisting with this setup and leaving Nacho, Barnes, and Under on the bench against the team in 19th? He knows these teams will try and sneak a goal and then park 11 men behind the ball, and we don't have the guile to break them down. Vardy is amazing but he is not a 1 man army and Rodgers can't keep expecting him to pull a rabbit out of the hat to save the day every match.

Fuchs has played almost 270 minutes in the last week, so why not rest him and put an extra attacker on from the start, and bring him on (ala Big Wes) if we have something to hold onto at the end? Forfana and Evans would have been more than enough to keep Fulham at bay today, we didn't need a back 5 with a defensive midfielder infront of them (Mendy).

It was an absolute no brainer to rest Fuchs tonight and play 4 at the back. No hindsight required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I don't wanna hear anymore comparisons about madders to Grealish. that ship has sailed now.

If its motivation and belief that was lacking than it better come back soon because they can't

take anything for granted in this league. Thought they learnt some hard lessons last season?

Anyone else think foffana suddenly looks sub-par? I hope he hasn't got big headed because his

passes, lack of interceptions and brains has seem to gone off the boil. maybe we figged him up too

much too soon.

...no, he has just sunk to our level!!!

It makes you wonder what they do with the players in respect of coaching. Fofana has continued to make the same mistakes in three matches on the trot, trying speculatively to win the ball, he keeps getting it wrong and dropping us in the mire. We have not stopped him doing it since the Liverpool game and we need him to curb his instinct in order to prevent him leaving a chasm in our backline.

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

No, he'll take responsibility, but he can't take credit for the complete lack of trying. The clumsiness of Fuchs, the awful passes we've tried. 

Rodgers does need to take full responsibility. Last week, he accused the team of passing the ball upwards too fast and they needed more patience. Obviously it was Rodgers who told them to pass around at the back. Yes he also said the team should be more aggressive but he is sending mixed messages to the team and is getting into the heads of the players in the wrong way. Coaching issues.

Tactically, we were set up wrong. Of course we would lack creativity if we throw 6 defensive players out there including on the wings.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...no, he has just sunk to our level!!!

It makes you wonder what they do with the players in respect of coaching. Fofana has continued to make the same mistakes in three matches on the trot, trying speculatively to win the ball, he keeps getting it wrong and dropping us in the mire. We have not stopped him doing it since the Liverpool game and we need him to curb his instinct in order to prevent him leaving a chasm in our backline.

Agree re Fofana. He is a young lad so he is bound to make mistakes but he is also making Evans look bad by being constantly out of position. He got better after we switched to 4 at the back as he knew he could not get up more and be out of position. Rodgers probably had a word with him as well.

Someone said it also has something to do with his hair. Not a bad theory. It shows his attitude having switched from being humble to being a show pony. He needs to learn his lesson.

3 hours ago, Livid said:

Brendan got that team selection seriously wrong, there’s times that we should set up like that but today wasn’t one of them. 

Not being able to put three forward passes together without a misplaced pass, poor touch or miss control didn’t help. 

I would say we learn and let’s move on but let’s just say until next time eh. :unsure:

...the problem is we don't learn.....Rodgers continues to make the wrong decisions over and over and your post is a throwback to the many post stating "a bad day at the office"... etc....!!!

The "bad day" turned out to be half a season, at this moment we are about to repeat the process as even the commentators are saying we are "looking leggy" at the moment and the popular explanation is we are playing too many games close together as we are involved in the Europa League. Pretty much this time last year they were saying the same but there was no Europa League to factor in that time.

It's been coming. I think we've rode our luck a fair bit this season. Had this horrible vision he'd persist with this formation in a game like that and it would cost us, lo and behold.

Some of the dross we've lost to in 2020. Embarrassing.

5 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

The collective mental weakness of this team compared to the great escape and title winning teams is huge. I can take losing and Fulham fully deserved their win. What I can't accept are poor tactics and set up or the lack of desire or urgency that was evident sadly this evening. 

It's darn right disrespectful that this team keeps getting compared to the title winning team, to a man they were warriors, this bunch seems to be cowards when the going gets tough.

When was the last time we came back from 2 goals down to even rescue a point? Plenty sit on here calling United awful and say that Ole hasn't got a clue, but they beat us to 4th last season after being about 15 points behind and they also rescue games, even at 2 goals down. What does that say about us?

Saying all that we've got to be realistic, we've had injuries and we've also played a lot of games already. Thankfully our hardest 2 EL games are out of the way, so hopefully we can rest half the first team squad in the final two games. I'm still annoyed at the tactics used tonight, I don't even think with Ricardo and Castagne we'd have won that game. The sooner we get a couple of the injured lads back into the squad the better, I pray that they're involved on Thursday even if only for 30 minutes.

• Like 3

This current team has no grit, metal so to speak. Today was boys against men. Same as the Liverpool game. Tired of the injury excuse. Liverpool had several injuries too and wrapped us a new one. 

Also Brendan Rodgers tactics of a straight 5 at the back are poor. One simple pass between the defenders and we are sitting ducks. If it wasn't for Kasper and his whinging we would have lost by a lot more goals last 2 games.

We seem to go through this pattern regular. Have a couple good wins they play Puel football for a few. No consistency or team leader I am afraid.  No one who will take the game by the scruff. Say like Steve Walsh

• Like 2

****ing bastard crap evans a liability Fuchs past it vardy couldn’t be arsed mendy abject if I was top and the king power board I would be pulling senor rodgers to one side and say anymore of this shit ur gone lose on Thursday to zorya I’d be questioning Rodgers ability embarrassing 

4 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Ünder is so under utilized right now imo. He looks class and has been involved in major moments yet doesn't get a start against a struggling Fulham... Weird.

And he seems to always want to make things happen which is good.

I am concerned though he seems not liking Maddison’s hogging of dead balls. Hope I am wrong and the lad is just being passionate.  Nonetheless, Brendon needs to step in and direct that the load be shared otherwise there could be a bust up soon.

• Like 1

Got to be about the worst performance of the season so far. Leaving aside the well taken consolation goal it was a painful watch. Turgid, slow, boring, pedantic 
football, devoid of ideas and creativity. Can’t think of anyone who played well, maybe Kasper and Harvey to some extent.

I wonder if the Europa League is starting to take its toll? Alternatively, given the way we unexpectedly started the season with a bang, and with the victory over Man City, maybe we simply overestimated the potential for this season and are just settling down to something more realistic.

Finally, perhaps we might just be missing the injured players. When/if they return we might get a lift in the second half of the season.

Thought Fulham played well and fully deserved the result.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1