Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fulham H Post Match Thread

2 minutes ago, surrifox said:

We are always hearing from the players and BR how he attaches great significance to how the side plays without the ball

They certainly tried to play without the ball today judging from how many times we gave it back to Fulham.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, escape2victory said:

The 3-4-3 system will only work with progressive wing backs. Thomas is still learning the game and plays safe, backwards and sidewards, and that’s understandable. Justin is a decent solid defensive full back, so to rely on those 2 to provide attacking width was never going to work, also Fuchs is now getting exposed. 

When we have Ricardo and Castagne back then no problem go back to the 3-4-3 wingback system, but until then I don’t want to see it again !

I am not sure we have enough good defenders to play with a 3. 

I get they have a busy schedule and player welfare needs to be considered but what preparation / training if any, was done for this particular match. I guarantee Scott Parker and Fulham did their homework and got the rewards! I have to face my workmates in the morning having left work early to watch the game, ear defense, a noisey drill,  and attempt to sneak in unseen until 1pm is required lol.

9 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I hope these words do come back to bite me on the backside but this group of players with this manager won't win anything of note. They lack the mental capacity to dig in deep when it's needed which is a real shame because they're probably some of the most talented players we've ever had and one of the most capable squads in the league but they need to realise that talent only gets you so far. 

There's too many passengers in this team when they're not at it. Maddison and Evans of late look like they're already on the bus with Ole at the wheel. 

Brendan has to take a lot of responsibility for tonight's performance. He set us up way too defensive against a very poor team and was far too slow in making the changes. He needed to change tact immediately after they scored the second but was too cautious. I felt for Vardy today, looked very isolated against a side that you'd expect him to have a field day against. 

This isn't a call for Pearson to return but can you imagine his reaction to performance like that!

What frustrates me currently is that our form feels all too predictable. We're either all or nothing, something which is very telling by the lack of draws. We simply don't have the ability to grind out results. Whether that's a tactical or mental failure is hard to say but one way or another it needs addressing. 

We've won 4 trophies in 136 years, you're not exactly sticking your neck out there.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Players who can't pass the ball being paid £50k+ a week is a joke.

Just because the team selection was wrong is not justification for ignoring the embarrassing quality offered up by the players.

Absolutely spot on. We’re a bunch of bottlers. Some of the decision making was abhorrent. Absolutely no argument for a side wanting to compete in Europe. They need to wake up fast, otherwise it will be be last season all over again.  

I've never left a match early, ever. However, tonight (if I was there) would have been the closest I've ever been. My finger was paused over the remote control but convinced myself to take the pain to appreciate the good times. I've seen it all down the years but that corner nearly did it for me. 

Had. E. Nuff. :@

We struggle against teams with pace, power and good dribblers. West Ham, Fulham & Liverpool are perfect examples. The 1-0 loss to Norwich away also springs to mind. They were very aggressive that day, gave us no time on the ball and countered us with ease.

Apart from Ndidi, Hamza & Vardy we don’t really have anyone in midfield or attack who can press aggressively, throw their bodies at second balls or instantly press an opponent as soon as they get the ball. 

This allows physical teams with pace and power to walk all over us. The lack of defensive work rate in the opposition half is a worry & unfortunately we can’t negate this issue with a simple change in tactics or formation, we just don’t have the personnel. 

The 3atb formation helped paper over the cracks, but now it’s glaringly obvious we will crumble against any team who wants to fight for every ball, cover every blade of grass & do whatever is necessary to get the win. Combine that hunger with tidy, free flowing, counter attacking football like Fulham did tonight & it’s a recipe for success against this Leicester side.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Again - I agree the players were shitearses tonight but the set-up was quite clearly fundamentally wrong for this sort of game - we needed to be on the front foot and relying on Justin and Thomas for the lion's share of our attacking width in a game we should be looking to dominate from the outset is criminal. That's not a slight on the pair of them, but against a Fulham side who were always going to be difficult to play through, we needed more invention, more presence, and, crucially, more pace, in wide areas. 

Setting up with 5 at the back when you barely have the bodies to play it in the first instance in baffling, more so against a side where you shouldn't be absorbing pressure, you should be applying it.

That's why, for me, the manager has to take a share of the blame. Is that alright with you?

Of course that’s okay darling 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

sadly it looked like they were a better footballing side when they wanted to get forward - sharp passing, men finding space.  We really need to find ourselves and fast ...... 

Thing is we all know how and when we're at our most effective and how dangerous we can be.

However, we're trying to be something we're not and we keep persisting with it for some bizarre reason that is beyond me.

Ok, I've had a vino to settle myself. 

Our first xi, which we haven't been able to field as yet, is 100% a top 5 team.  

Mendy and Justin (both of whom.i like immensely) are mid table ability 

Fuchs (who i love) is a respectable emergency LB cover but in  no way a PL regular in any team. 

Thomas is a kid, an u/23 level player and woild struggle to make most championship sides 

So we are fielding a mid table level quality side all season and have, frankly,  over performed. Hang in there. Keep within pissing distance of the top 6 and push after January.  And please dump this 5 at the back shite.

Just now, Matt said:

Thing is we all know how and when we're at our most effective and how dangerous we can be.

However, we're trying to be something we're not and we keep persisting with it for some bizarre reason that is beyond me.

I reckon they're knackered. I wish everyone of us a better tomorrow, and let's hope things turn around quickly.

According to the manager, we had a youthful side out.

Schmeichel 34, Fuchs 34, Evans 32, Vardy 33, Mendy 28, Praet 26. Tielemans 23 with lots of caps for Belgium and 50 European games. Maddison 24 with 75 Premier League games. Two teenagers. Justin 22 and still fairly new.

Not having that as an excuse at all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

According to the manager, we had a youthful side out.

Schmeichel 34, Fuchs 34, Evans 32, Vardy 33, Mendy 28, Praet 26. Tielemans 23 with lots of caps for Belgium and 50 European games. Maddison 24 with 75 Premier League games. Two teenagers. Justin 22 and still fairly new.

Not having that as an excuse at all.

Its about time reporters started asking him (Any all managers) tougher questions, pulling them up on things such as this, not backing down to them.

The reporter who interview Klopp was a breath of fresh air not backing down and pandering to him.

As someone said earlier though (May well have been you) Rodgers is a dream for people to interview.