Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fulham H Post Match Thread

So for the first time in about 20 years I'd say I'd stopped watching the game after we went 2 down. It was more disappointment than anger. I did watch the second half but honestly was just sat there with not much emotion. It's the "Liverpool effect" - we had exactly the same after the defeat end of last year to them. BR is a bit like an a man with dementia, only knows what he knows at that time. 5 at the back has "worked" recently so that's what we have to do. Over reliance on Vardy, no balls with our midfield. Maddison needs to be dropped. We were much better without him earlier in the season. I think Timmy and Ricky coming back will be big for us. That 'shot' by JJ actually really annoyed me but that's about as mucb emotion I could muster in the second half. 

12 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Playing Christian Fuchs in every game, Europa and Premier League is a strange one for me. He hardly played last season. Why can’t Brendan trust Fofana and Evans as a pair instead of this three that appears more vulnerable for us than a two? 

And don’t get me started on our lack of penetration on corners and free kicks 

It’s hard to tell if he doesn’t trust Thomas on his own at LB as part of a back 4, or feels an unfit Evans needs more cover, or a undeveloped Fofana needs more help.

But I think it’s more about some combination of that, than Fuchs specifically 

19 minutes ago, Fish said:

Change it and sort it earlier . BR seems to react too slow . How about a shout to jj to drop in on their first goal !

Fofana was a wolly to go to the ball, all he had to do was block the pass to the player cutting in 

27 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

We were poor tonight, no doubt about that, but I'm going to use the fine margins cliche. So often games go one way or another on the basis of a single chance or the width of a post. Strange as it sounds if one of those shots from Youri or Wes goes in, both of which hit the post/crossbar, my guess is we go to win comfortably. 

Yes but we didnt, and didnt win.  I admire your Margins theory but it does little to soften the blow of a bad performance. 

2 minutes ago, bfox said:

Fofana was a wolly to go to the ball, all he had to do was block the pass to the player cutting in 

I can’t remember exactly what happened due to my eye burning from the shit I was watching.... but didn’t Youri give the ball away? During that passage of play? 

• Haha 1

Brendan got that team selection seriously wrong, there’s times that we should set up like that but today wasn’t one of them. 

Not being able to put three forward passes together without a misplaced pass, poor touch or miss control didn’t help. 

I would say we learn and let’s move on but let’s just say until next time eh. :unsure:

19 minutes ago, hejammy said:

So for the first time in about 20 years I'd say I'd stopped watching the game after we went 2 down. It was more disappointment than anger. I did watch the second half but honestly was just sat there with not much emotion. It's the "Liverpool effect" - we had exactly the same after the defeat end of last year to them. BR is a bit like an a man with dementia, only knows what he knows at that time. 5 at the back has "worked" recently so that's what we have to do. Over reliance on Vardy, no balls with our midfield. Maddison needs to be dropped. We were much better without him earlier in the season. I think Timmy and Ricky coming back will be big for us. That 'shot' by JJ actually really annoyed me but that's about as mucb emotion I could muster in the second half. 

Do you recall the results in the next 2 matches after the 0-4 against Liverpool last season?

Some of our players really look like they need a rest to take them out of the firing line. Fofana has been superb and showed flashes today but that's two errors leading to two goals in the last two games after coming back from an aggravated knee. Fuchs and Evans have also been a bit shakey recently.

Weirdly, Justin would probably be the big loser if/when Ricardo and Castagne come back even though he seems to be getting better and better with every game. I thought he was our best player tonight and caused some real problems for their defence. That touch to Iheanacho that Kelechi just didn't read was exquisite. But, if we keep the three at the back then JJ can easily slot in with Ricky and Timmy out wide.

I just think the team isn't quite gelling at the minute. We look ponderous and lacking in creativity. The forward players are trying but the final ball just isn't quite there. I do wonder how much time is being put in on the training ground to make their one-touch moves automatic. It looks like they need to just repeat these moves over and over again so the passes hit their mark. Too many times it looked like a pass was overhit, underhit, or played at the wrong angle.

Still, teams go through patches of form and the Europa League is again another chance to get that winning feeling back. It worked after the West Ham and Villa games and it can work again.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I can’t remember exactly what happened due to my eye burning from the shit I was watching.... but didn’t Youri give the ball away? During that passage of play? 

Possibly, can’t remember. I still think we could of nulled that attack out if Fof was a little more aware

10 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Some of our players really look like they need a rest to take them out of the firing line. Fofana has been superb and showed flashes today but that's two errors leading to two goals in the last two games after coming back from an aggravated knee. Fuchs and Evans have also been a bit shakey recently.

Weirdly, Justin would probably be the big loser if/when Ricardo and Castagne come back even though he seems to be getting better and better with every game. I thought he was our best player tonight and caused some real problems for their defence. That touch to Iheanacho that Kelechi just didn't read was exquisite. But, if we keep the three at the back then JJ can easily slot in with Ricky and Timmy out wide.

I just think the team isn't quite gelling at the minute. We look ponderous and lacking in creativity. The forward players are trying but the final ball just isn't quite there. I do wonder how much time is being put in on the training ground to make their one-touch moves automatic. It looks like they need to just repeat these moves over and over again so the passes hit their mark. Too many times it looked like a pass was overhit, underhit, or played at the wrong angle.

Still, teams go through patches of form and the Europa League is again another chance to get that winning feeling back. It worked after the West Ham and Villa games and it can work again.

I think Justin was our best player this evening. He certainly went forward himself with the ball and offered almost  the only threat like that until Barnes and Under came on. Whilst his shot wasn't the best at least the guy was asking questions in the game. 

• Like 1

I can just never get my head around, why we never set out from the first whistle on the front foot, try to kill a team and take control from the offset. The pace of our ball playing is woeful, gives teams time to set back up. Surely the players know themselves the speed of play needs to be quicker and sharper, just not one of them ever takes it by the scruff of the neck and takes responsibility. Frustrating

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Vardy has been at his best this season with Barnes and Under near him. Man City away- Barnes plays behind and sets up the penalties. Arsenal away- Under creates the goal. Leeds away- Barnes runs off him and Vardy sets him up, Under then tees up Vardy again for his goal.

To go with neither in this type of game is unfathomable.

Good points. I was hoping to see Barnes as he's in form. Think at least one of them has to start regularly with Vardy. 

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Well, that's out Premier League season over, time to focus in Europa. What a farce. Absolutely fuming and Brendan can go to ****. ****ing ****. 

Terrible performance but you do realise we’re 4th after 10 games? How is it over?