Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Premier League’s so-called ‘Big Six’ could become part of a new-look Champions League.

UEFA really are a spineless bunch of sellouts aren’t they? They’ve basically agreed to super league as long as they control it.

The fans should just boycott this absolute shambolic idea but they won’t as they are just as bad the people who designed it. 
It stinks.

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah except they want all the leagues to reduce in size. 

The bit that got me was the line on the BBC that said that England would likely get a 5th place but that it wouldn't be handed out on merit, it would be handed out "by coefficient" meaning it's basically a safety net for whichever of the so called BIG CLUBS that have a shit season. 

So this year they'd give it to Liverpool for example. 

disgusting really what would be the point 

6 minutes ago, twister said:

I think come 2024 I may tap out, its getting so boring how obvious the future is

Same here. I'm so disgusted by the wildcard thing giving a safety net to struggling big clubs, that I won't be able to stay interested. It's crossing a line. They might as well just say, these are the clubs who get in the CL every year, no matter what happens. Save us the charade.

I did think, what if we end up with a really good coefficient and benefit from it ourselves? While it would be funny to see their plan backfire, I still wouldn't be able to enjoy success from a competition that's rigged, and you know it would only be a matter of time before they changed the rules again to make sure we were kept in our place.

It's so sickening. I always thought the underdog story was very appealing. Even if it wasn't us, I know I'd like to see a smaller, unfashionable club rise up and upset the big club cartel. Can't believe my luck that we've managed it, but of course, it is too good to be true. The powers that be don't want us there, and will apparently sacrifice the very concept of fair competition itself to put an end to it. Just when we were getting to the top, they pull the rug from under us. It's just a big money-making scheme for the rich. That's all. The idea that any club can one day have their name up in lights is nothing but an illusion. If you're not already a global brand, then bad luck, you never will be.

If this happens, which I'm sure it will, 2024 is knock it on the head time for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

There is an overall element that could actually be worked out altogether in the interests of everyone.”

Well it won’t benefit the teams that get kicked out of the PL or those playing less domestic game which may or may not get replaced by some 3rd rate European league where fans will have less chance of seeing their team play away games.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Just out of curiosity, what pulls in more money overall? The Premier League or Champions League? If it’s the former (which I’m guessing it is) then surely there will be something to be said for this? 

Also have a feeling that FIFA will continue with their stance of banning players from featuring in the World Cup if any type of ‘elitist plan’ comes together.

I just don’t see how it’s gonna happen really but at the same time we just don’t know the potential power that the people in control of the game possess in terms of shifting the landscape. 

If only this were true. :(

On 18/02/2021 at 07:53, StanSP said:

Premier League reject UEFA's plans... 

The voting structure of the EPL has been a very good idea, the FA are corrupt and wont reject it, like how the FA didnt oppose the power grab last year, so its the EPL the one big entity which might prevent this from happening, I think its the only barrier within this country.

• Like 1

Football is going to total rats. The wish to lessen domestic football just for European football is ludicrous. I can't speak for other countries but from the very beginning, in England, the draw of football has been about following your team, the wish to follow them as high as they can progress in the leagues and rivalry with other clubs. It's an institution, a release and social activity for working people to look forward to each week. The Champions League is a brilliant competition but merely icing on the cake. How many Liverpool fans for example made their wish for winning the Premiership again after all those years a priority over Europe?

In the meantime, domestically to enable this, we'd have less matches to go and see in a smaller league just for a European competition we are unlikely to ever get to. Isn't there just something boring watching Liverpool play Barcelona every week? The shine would wear off very quickly. Even their supporters like a game in the Premiership against Everton or Manchester United for local bragging rights. If your own team is not in Europe currently, how many people actually watch more than a few champions league games if that? I'm more interested in Leicester v Sheffield United. If there were significantly less teams in the Premiership, why would I want to pay out a fortune in Sky or BT matches because I certainly wouldn't be interested in watching a competition that my team couldn't effectively ever reach because of the inbuilt elite biases. It's totally flawed and corrupt but supporters could if they wanted have a big say if it got off the ground. A refusal to sign up to commercial TV or buy tickets and travel after the first year would see their revenue streams dwindle in what would become a very dull and samey competition. 

• Like 3

It’s a silly elitist idea, that will get blocked by the Premier League in all honesty. 

The change in format doesn’t benefit the Premier League in anyway. If anything it will detract from the amount of money that it gets in the short term. Clubs won’t vote for a reduction in terms of the number of clubs in the league overall.

The blocking of transfers between major club proposed rule is stupid. I think the first time it got challenged by law; it would get thrown out, as it’s restricting trade. Can you imagine if you’re Mbappe but stuck at Monaco on £30k a week. PSG want you and are willing to offer £200k a week? Either that or they’ll sign for a sister company “Paris United”, outside of the top tier, then immediately transfer to PSG. 

If they want to do this tournament, play it in the summer if they’re that desperate. 

• Like 1

I’ve been starting to enjoy football less and less over the last couple of years. 
it’s becoming boring, with it’s it’s crap and biased TV coverage. 
Even with us doing so well, I think I probably preferred it when we were in the championship.

if this new look champions league happens it will be the final nail in the coffin for English football and think that will be me done with it. I would rather go and watch non league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Just out of curiosity, what pulls in more money overall? The Premier League or Champions League? If it’s the former (which I’m guessing it is) then surely there will be something to be said for this? 

Also have a feeling that FIFA will continue with their stance of banning players from featuring in the World Cup if any type of ‘elitist plan’ comes together.

I just don’t see how it’s gonna happen really but at the same time we just don’t know the potential power that the people in control of the game possess in terms of shifting the landscape. 

The big clubs will demand a larger slice of the prem pie (they have already done this with overseas earnings). For them to reject the euro league formula there will be a quid pro quo where the tv monies here are weighted much more heavily to them.  Wherever this goes, it’s down a road where the monies (already heavily skewed via commercial revenues) become even moreso and the gap wider and wider. With a less competitive premier league the likely result, the tv revenues will likely reduce and hence this all becomes a ‘self fulfilling prophecy’ - from a heavily imby perspective, maybe we can gatecrash the party but that won’t solve the long term damage that this will do to the existing set up. 

If they are so daft, and take away the carrot.....All Other clubs fans could well demand their own competitions.....Leaving The Elite dangling...

One might even see L'pool home grown fans,change their alliance become Tranmere fans..London Club fans go to Palace,Wimbledon,Even Millwall..

This segregation would eventually create aggrevation...Touristen fans will drift, if they see another/ just different presentation, they will just drift away...!!!

Local fans will Rebuild what s been trashed,other  yet unknown clubs will come to the fore,because where the majority of fans stay, will be where the Market is..

Main issue with this is it contradicts everything modern day society is starting to accept as acceptable status, and where we are supposed to be eliminating elitism and allowing equal opportunity for all, this completely undermines all of this. It seems funny that the idea id being born in Italy too, a country where it's football is as renowned for it scandals and cheating as it is its success. This Is why It will ultimately fail, even if it get's initially accepted it wont last, purely because people these days generally aren't into this kind of insular way of thinking (with the exception of the USA maybe). 

55 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

If they are so daft, and take away the carrot.....All Other clubs fans could well demand their own competitions.....Leaving The Elite dangling...

One might even see L'pool home grown fans,change their alliance become Tranmere fans..London Club fans go to Palace,Wimbledon,Even Millwall..

This segregation would eventually create aggrevation...Touristen fans will drift, if they see another/ just different presentation, they will just drift away...!!!

Local fans will Rebuild what s been trashed,other  yet unknown clubs will come to the fore,because where the majority of fans stay, will be where the Market is..

They don't really care about local fans, this is about all the glory hunters who outnumber the locals. 

• Like 1